Reborn!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Reborn!

Postby Puguni » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:53 pm

I thought the thread that started in 2006 was too old, so I started a new one, because it seems more people have read up on it. Hopefully it's ok?

I'm not going to say how, but I've read up to the current chapter and love every bit of this manga. It's has a huge feminine appeal, but enough action to satisfy. I am not kidding; it's great.

----------------------

I'm really tired of everyone looking down on the first 5-6 volumes though. :C
"The first five volumes were sooo boring and pointless, but it got good once the action started," is the tune that too many people are singing.
User avatar
Puguni
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:13 am

I haven't heard of this manga whats it about?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
User avatar
ChristianKitsune
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Puguni » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:36 am

It's about a boy named Tsuna who's set up to the next mafia boss, the 10th, to be exact. Except he's a whiny wimp and the 9th Mafia boss asked Reborn, a professional hitman, to tutor him. The thing is, Reborn is a baby, though quite powerful. So Reborn drags him through all these ordeals to shape him up to be up to par, whether it's training him in the mountains or gathering candidates to be in his mafia family or take in criminals that are feared in the mafia world.

Many people don't like the Daily Arc series though, which is just Tsuna getting into every day trouble and meeting new people, and prefer the other arcs much better. I love the Varia Arc...it's just too freaking cool.

The manga is licensed right now, and I'm going to buy every single one when they come out. C:
User avatar
Puguni
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby MasterDias » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:38 pm

Yeah, I've read up on it. Generally speaking, I enjoy it, although it isn't one of my favorites. The current time travel arc shows some promise to be interesting.

I'm really tired of everyone looking down on the first 5-6 volumes though. :C
"The first five volumes were sooo boring and pointless, but it got good once the action started," is the tune that too many people are singing.

Well, a number of shounen series tend to start out with short stories and character introductions initially. The main problem I had in this case was that it really lasts too long and could have easily been shortened by a few volumes(if it had stayed comedy, I have doubts that I would have bothered with it myself.) And also, the switch from comedic short stories to action/fighting in Volume 8 was so sudden and abrupt that it almost feels like a different series. The current chapters especially are almost dead serious.

I haven't yet decided whether the author planned on turning it an action series initially, or she later decided (or the editors convinced her) that it would be more popular.

The anime hascatchyopenings.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
User avatar
MasterDias
 
Posts: 2714
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:56 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Bap » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm currently just reading Viz's licensed volumes, so I'm not up-to-date, just 'cause playing catch up takes too much effort. D:

Butyeah. I enjoy it so far, and what I've seen of spoilers, I am looking forward to later volumes as well. <:
<pritch> jeez
<pritch> sauron couldve got the one ring on ebay for £4.99
<pritch> oh wait
<pritch> excludes delivery to mordor
<fragglet> one does not simply deliver to mordor
User avatar
Bap
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:14 pm
Location: Outside your window. D:

Postby Puguni » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:15 pm

MasterDias wrote:Well, a number of shounen series tend to start out with short stories and character introductions initially. The main problem I had in this case was that it really lasts too long and could have easily been shortened by a few volumes(if it had stayed comedy, I have doubts that I would have bothered with it myself.) And also, the switch from comedic short stories to action/fighting in Volume 8 was so sudden and abrupt that it almost feels like a different series. The current chapters especially are almost dead serious.

I haven't yet decided whether the author planned on turning it an action series initially, or she later decided (or the editors convinced her) that it would be more popular.


It's not like there wasn't action in the Daily Arc; you could see the fighting capabilities in the characters develop with Reborn training them. They had weapons, there just wasn't a threat yet.

I don't see how it couldn't be an action series from the start though; there was action, just...not real fighting. How could you involve the mafia and not have action? :lol:

But I find that this manga is very character driven. I do see the complains about the overuse of the Dying Will Bullet in the beginning. It does get trite.

But the bishounen never do. *_*

*refer to bishounen thread to see what I'm talking about plz*
User avatar
Puguni
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby MasterDias » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Puguni wrote:It's not like there wasn't action in the Daily Arc; you could see the fighting capabilities in the characters develop with Reborn training them. They had weapons, there just wasn't a threat yet.

I don't see how it couldn't be an action series from the start though; there was action, just...not real fighting. How could you involve the mafia and not have action? :lol:

Well, yeah, there were fighting capabilities and weapons, but that didn't necessarily mean she absolutely had to turn it into an action series.

But, regardless, the thing with Irie Shuichi, introduced back in Volume 2 and then suddenly becoming an apparantly prominant character a dozen or so volumes later and then the whole thing with the Arcobaleno which has been constantly hinted at, does make me suspect she had something planned eventually.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
User avatar
MasterDias
 
Posts: 2714
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:56 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Haruhiko » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:14 am

I'm glad to see someone else has heard of this great series! I've been watching the anime for months and am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm also picking up a couple volumes of the manga today, hopefully the whole Daily arc.

To be honest, I'm still in the Daily arc in the anime, and it feels like its nearing its end. I'm a little sad about it turning into an action series.

Question: Do the arcs beyond the Daily arc have any level of humor in them, or do the turn into a generic action anime/manga?
User avatar
Haruhiko
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:04 am
Location: U.S., Northern Hemisphere, Earth, The Milky Way.

Postby Puguni » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:34 am

Haruhiko wrote:I'm glad to see someone else has heard of this great series! I've been watching the anime for months and am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm also picking up a couple volumes of the manga today, hopefully the whole Daily arc.

To be honest, I'm still in the Daily arc in the anime, and it feels like its nearing its end. I'm a little sad about it turning into an action series.

Question: Do the arcs beyond the Daily arc have any level of humor in them, or do the turn into a generic action anime/manga?


Awww. There is still some humor in the later arcs...not as much, but it's made up for by the awesomeness factor later on. I remember at first I thought Reborn was really cute, but now I think he's just really cool.

I think the manga is better, but I do like the anime in the Kokuyo arc; I think they portray it well.

Generic? I haven't read enough shounen to know, but I don't think it's generic. There is a tournament-style arc though. XD I dunno, I like the Varia arc very much. :3 The ten years later arc is looking pretty good too.
User avatar
Puguni
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Haruhiko » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Puguni wrote:Awww. There is still some humor in the later arcs...not as much, but it's made up for by the awesomeness factor later on. I remember at first I thought Reborn was really cute, but now I think he's just really cool.

I think the manga is better, but I do like the anime in the Kokuyo arc; I think they portray it well.

Generic? I haven't read enough shounen to know, but I don't think it's generic. There is a tournament-style arc though. XD I dunno, I like the Varia arc very much. :3 The ten years later arc is looking pretty good too.


Ah, alright then. I'll definately be reading more.

I just picked up volumes 1-5 of the English translation this morning. I've only read one chapter into the manga, but am enjoying it so far.
User avatar
Haruhiko
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:04 am
Location: U.S., Northern Hemisphere, Earth, The Milky Way.

Postby Puguni » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:22 am

Haruhiko wrote:Ah, alright then. I'll definately be reading more.

I just picked up volumes 1-5 of the English translation this morning. I've only read one chapter into the manga, but am enjoying it so far.


Ah...I'm finding that the translation is a bit weird. There is little to no cursing, but the characters say the weirdest things. At one point, Tsuna said something like, "Great groundhogs!" as an interjection, which I found incredibly stupid. They also say "Gad!" a lot, which is also stupid. Also, they have Hibari saying, "I'll tan your hide," which is equally as stupid, considering he actually says, "I'll bite you to death," which is my favorite running line in the series. I really hate their interjections.

The only reason it has a T rating is for the violence. It's not gory or anything, just blood spills sometimes. The only nudity is when Kyoko and Haru undergoes Dying Will in the Daily Life Arc and they're in their underwear. However, it isn't really fanservice-y and Tsuna goes out of his way to wrap them in blankets. Aww. :'D

There's only one pervert and he doesn't do much but want kisses and dates from girls.
User avatar
Puguni
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Haruhiko » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:54 am

Puguni wrote:Ah...I'm finding that the translation is a bit weird. There is little to no cursing, but the characters say the weirdest things. At one point, Tsuna said something like, "Great groundhogs!" as an interjection, which I found incredibly stupid. They also say "Gad!" a lot, which is also stupid. Also, they have Hibari saying, "I'll tan your hide," which is equally as stupid, considering he actually says, "I'll bite you to death," which is my favorite running line in the series. I really hate their interjections.

The only reason it has a T rating is for the violence. It's not gory or anything, just blood spills sometimes. The only nudity is when Kyoko and Haru undergoes Dying Will in the Daily Life Arc and they're in their underwear. However, it isn't really fanservice-y and Tsuna goes out of his way to wrap them in blankets. Aww. :'D

There's only one pervert and he doesn't do much but want kisses and dates from girls.


I haven't really been on the look out for bad translation. I did notice the "Gad!" thing, though. If nothing else, it should have been taken out.

Its actually got a T+, and thats what I don't get. It shouldn't be in SJ Advanced. Its far more clean than Bleach, and Bleach is T and in basic SJ.

I know about the character. I saw him in the anime. Wanted Reborn to shoot everytime he showed up....

Also, I think I just discovered one of the best lines in manga history.

"Do you want me to take you up to the police station to find your mommy and daddy, little boy?"
"Just try it. The police station will become an ocean of blood."
User avatar
Haruhiko
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:04 am
Location: U.S., Northern Hemisphere, Earth, The Milky Way.

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:00 pm

MasterDias wrote:But, regardless, the thing with Irie Shuichi, introduced back in Volume 2 and then suddenly becoming an apparantly prominant character a dozen or so volumes later


Is he that weird kid from the 2nd volume that brought back lambo? I was wondering what happened, can't wait to see.

I just started the Vongola Rings Arc, and I think that the action really rocked at the end.
User avatar
Monkey J. Luffy
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Home of the SOX!

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Well I've been reading Reborn like crazy, and I'm already at the time travel arc, and i must say this is probably one of my favorite manga's. I've been completely hooked.
User avatar
Monkey J. Luffy
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Home of the SOX!

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:07 pm

So, I skipped the first five volumes because I heard they weren't worth reading, but I like the rest of the series. Granted, I feel like there should be some character development by now, but the art is pretty, and it's a really fun series if you have a lot of friends into it, too.

Dude, though, they took out the "I'll bite you to death" for Hibari?? But there's nothing like "kamikorosu..." ;_; Does Ryouhei still have his "to the extreme!"?
User avatar
Aka-chan
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:30 am
Location: ...here...


Return to Manga and Manga Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests