Would I be able to read D N Angel?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Would I be able to read D N Angel?

Postby Hinata » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm

My parents are pretty strict when it comes to manga because of the questionable stuff out there. My friend has read the first D N Angel and she says there is not much at all. But for the rest of the sieries how much stuff like cussing, sexual crap ect. is there?
Thanks for the help!!

-Sara
Jesus :rock:s
Hinata

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Have you checked out the review for DNAngel in the anime review section? The manga isn't much different than the anime. The only mentionable thing is that alot of fans who would like to think that Satoshi is romantically interested in Daisuke. I don't see any evidence of that, and even if he was Daisuke is certainly more interested in a certain girl to return the feelings. There are a few scenes in the series that might rub you the wrong way concerning crossdressing, though none of the instances are because a character is gay.

[spoiler="Minor spoilers"]There is one scene in which Satoshi dresses up as a (rather attractive) woman in a ploy to catch Dark. In another short story arc the class decides to put on a play using only the guys as the actors - which means they play the girl parts also. Daisuke is cast opposite Satoshi as the lead couple, but it is obvious neither of them are thrilled by the situation. As things turn out, they don't really go through with the play.[/spoiler]
Kawaiikneko

Postby rii namuras » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:56 pm

(This puts to rest the assumption that Satoshi is gay. It's from volume 11 of the manga, but it doesn't spoil much at all, aside from the obvious.)

[spoiler]Dark: "Right now you're calling me with feelings of hatred and anger. And you know perfectly well what the consequences will be -- if you're no careful, you'll end up just like him." Daisuke: "Satoshi..."

(There you have it. The main argument that Satoshi is gay is that Daisuke's other half, Dark, comes out with romantic feelings - and that the Satoshi is the same way. Yet here Dark says that if Daisuke keeps trying to bring him out with hate instead of love, he'll end up like Satoshi. Therefore Satoshi must be bringing out Krad with hate rather than love. And yes, it can be said that Satoshi hates Daisuke in the sense that he's very jealous of him.)[/spoiler]

(There are also some off-color remarks/characters, such as Saga...)

[spoiler](Who does very much act gay. When he was going to ask Daisuke to be in a commerical, he starts by telling Daisuke to "Undress." He then forcefully does so (nothing is shown) and puts on Daisuke's costume for the commercial. He also blackmails Daisuke into actually doing the commercial by waving an envelope in front of him and saying, "I have embarassing pictures of Miss Harada here... It'd be a shame if they got out...")[/spoiler]

(And finally, about Riku and Risa...)

[spoiler](Riku considers Dark a peeping tom and continually refers to him as "the pervert" or "that pervert". When Risa is going out on a date with Dark and is decided what to wear, she askes Riku what type of undies she should wear.[/spoiler]

(The female characters have very short skirts as the school uniform (the only person who doesn't is Riku, the worse she wears is shorts for track/sports). The cursing is slightly worse than in the anime, but not by much. Also, magic is rampant, but not in the same way as in the anime. It's just Naruto-esque special move-ish stuff. Dark and Krad have feathers that they use for magic attacks. The Hikari artworks are magical and can take the forms of humans. Stuff like that.)
rii namuras

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews