Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:47 pm

Elycien, here are my suggestions:

Bleach (a solid shounen, fantasy series, quite long)
One Piece (a light-hearted adventure series, extremely long though)
Mushishi (good drama/fantasy series)
Hunter x Hunter (excellent fantasy/adventure series, quite long; you said you are tolerant of violence so be prepared...)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Netbug009 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:07 pm

I've enjoyed what I've read of Fruits Basket. Also, if American "manga" counts, Serenity is huge win. One Piece IMO is a fantastic series, and that's another i diffinatly recommend.
Netbug009

Postby Aleolus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:37 am

Hey, does anyone know anything about a series called King of Cards? I've read the first volume, and I must say, it seems like a more shoujo version of Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm liking it so far, but I'd like to get a synopsis and the opinions of my fellow Christians before I invest more money in it.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby Slytherine » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 am

I am completely inept at finding online manga, but I totally want to read something during Journalism, so does anyone know any decent online manga? Seriously. Because I am terrible at finding stuff like that. It's sad really...

<3 Slytherine
Slytherine

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 am

I would be a little hypocritical to bag on my son, who is your age, about paying attention in classes, then help you with this request. I do want to point something out about the request, though:

"online manga" can mean several things, from amateur manga-style web comics to free samples (a chapter or two from a GN) from publishers. It can also mean ripped, scanlated stuff that isn't legal, and therefore is against CAA rules to post URLs for.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Amzi Live » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Hey!I love anime,but I've never read a manga(At least completely).So,I'm looking for some mangas out there.I like stuff with fighting in it.Oh!Sword fighting is a plus.I like Comedy too.I don't mind what time period.I would appreciate it having an interesting plot.Maybe I can get some recommendations(Heh!Duh!)I don't mind if it's old or modern.Mostly I want to know if it's good.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 pm

Hello Amzi,
Here are my favorites with swordfight themes:
Absolute top of the list is Real Bout High School. It has moderate fanservice, but not as bad as the series it is usually accused of being a 'rip' of (Tenjho Tenge.) Its only real flaw, to my mind, is that it only goes six volumes.

Sakura Taisen is also short, is a blend of sword, steampunk and mecha genres, and has too little actual swordplay, but it's a fun series.

Bleach is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Better than the very good Anime, and still adding at 21 English volumes, and I believe 23 Japanese volumes.

Blade of the Immortal. I can't describe it properly, and I haven't read enough to be confident of my descriptions, but what I have read has been very, very good. It's more serious than the much lighter-toned items mentioned above (since you mentioned comedy, I was trying to stay light.)

There are plenty of others which are borderline as to whether they are swordfighting or other themes (first that comes to mind is InuYasha) but I thought this list would be a good start.

Douzo!

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby MasterDias » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 pm

EricTheFred wrote:Hello Amzi,
Bleach is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Better than the very good Anime, and still adding at 21 English volumes, and I believe 23 Japanese volumes.

In Japan, Bleach is up to 31+ volumes.

Sword fighting, huh? Well, Rurouni Kenshin was what I instantly thought of actually, so that gets my recommendation.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Amzi Live » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Wow!Thanks guys!I appreciate it.I'll check those for sure.Now all I have to do is fight my way through the people in the manga isles at Borders.:grin:
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby minakichan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Hey~

I love seinen manga (despite the fact that I am neither adult nor male), and I'm looking for some good stuff that doesn't have very much objectionable material (no more violence or nudity than Monster or 20th Century Boys, for example; I can handle more, but I just feel bad reading it). I like stories by Urasawa Naoki, and a few somewhat-little-known series like The Hour of the Mice, Alive, Reset, and Kotonoha's one-shots (the ones that aren't totally perverted). I'm particularly looking for stuff that's more realistic than fantastic, and a little dark, action or drama, not humor or romance. I dislike "fighting manga" though; I also really like manga with a weird or original plot synopsis, essentially. Also, I'm kind of weird, but I REALLY like stories that feature points like:

-A lone fugitive hero on the run from a corrupt or misguided authority
-Corporate conspiracies, particularly involving evil pharmaceutical companies
-Human experimentation (again, not grotesque)
-Political corruption, particularly within a hegemonic power
-A lot of people mysteriously dying or committing suicide (but not especially violently >_>)
-Or dark slice-of-life

Can someone give me suggestions? =D Sorry if I'm too weird for you...
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm

minakichan wrote:Hey~

I love seinen manga (despite the fact that I am neither adult nor male), and I'm looking for some good stuff that doesn't have very much objectionable material (no more violence or nudity than Monster or 20th Century Boys, for example; I can handle more, but I just feel bad reading it). I like stories by Urasawa Naoki, and a few somewhat-little-known series like The Hour of the Mice, Alive, Reset, and Kotonoha's one-shots (the ones that aren't totally perverted). I'm particularly looking for stuff that's more realistic than fantastic, and a little dark, action or drama, not humor or romance. I dislike "fighting manga" though; I also really like manga with a weird or original plot synopsis, essentially. Also, I'm kind of weird, but I REALLY like stories that feature points like:

-A lone fugitive hero on the run from a corrupt or misguided authority
-Corporate conspiracies, particularly involving evil pharmaceutical companies
-Human experimentation (again, not grotesque)
-Political corruption, particularly within a hegemonic power
-A lot of people mysteriously dying or committing suicide (but not especially violently >_>)
-Or dark slice-of-life

Can someone give me suggestions? =D Sorry if I'm too weird for you...

Oldboy is a manga that suits to your criteria quite well, however, it contains quite a bit of somewhat graphic objectionable content.

Amzi Live wrote:Hey!I love anime,but I've never read a manga(At least completely).So,I'm looking for some mangas out there.I like stuff with fighting in it.Oh!Sword fighting is a plus.I like Comedy too.I don't mind what time period.I would appreciate it having an interesting plot.Maybe I can get some recommendations(Heh!Duh!)I don't mind if it's old or modern.Mostly I want to know if it's good.

i highly suggest Blade of Immortal. an excellent series with tons of brilliantly done fight sequences, a well-done plot concept, and well-drawn out and developed characters.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ADXC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:26 pm

I never really seem to have a whole lot of money on me, but can anyone suggest any manga thats somewhat close to DNAngel. Ive been waiting for the 12th volume, but it looks like I will be waiting longer. So is there anything close to it?
ADXC

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:35 pm

minakichan wrote:I'm particularly looking for stuff that's more realistic than fantastic, and a little dark, action or drama, not humor or romance. I dislike "fighting manga" though; I also really like manga with a weird or original plot synopsis, essentially.

I'm tempted to say Blade of the Immortal, but my experience with the series is both limited and expensive, so I can't promise whether or not it alligns to your standards of morality too many volumes down the road.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Being close to current with Blade of the Immortal, I can give it a slightly stronger recommendation. It does have fighting, but not with the same density as a shonen series or a title like Berserk. The manga is mostly clean as far as sexuality goes, though there are a few parts that may make you feel uncomfortable. So while I can't gaurantee you'll like it, you might want to glance at it in a bookstore.

The Oldboy suggestion is also very true: it has objectionable content but many of the specific criteria you listed.

Meanwhile, I seem to have missed your original post and have a few recommendations of my own:
- As far as Naoki Urasawa, Pluto is his third major series and is about as good as 20th Century Boys or Monster (being unfinished I can't be sure).

- Blue Heaven is an interesting series of only a few volumes. It involves people dying on a cruise ship and may get into odd enough psychological/moral issues to interest you.

- Team Medical Dragon isn't the greatest series in the world by a long shot, but it's seinen and about hospital bureaucracy (not the most common of themes). The first chapter has some sexual content and there's basically none for the rest of the series.

- Shin Angyo Onshi may have too much fighting for your tastes, but the series is unusual in a number of ways and I think has a number of redeeming qualities. If you do try this, give it some time. The manga-ka didn't really have his true muse at the beginning.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:30 pm

I... I think I'm going to have to pass on Blade of the Immortal; I've heard it's pretty gory. It's not that mature content offends me THAT much, it's that I'm queasy when it come to violence, kind of makes me feel sick and depressed (why am I a seinen manga fan again...). That's also why I'll probably skip Oldboy as well...

I've been reading Pluto, and I love it =D A seinen twist on Tetsuwan Atom, what an amazing concept that only Urasawa could pull off!

I'll try out the other three, starting with Blue Heaven then. I've heard a few decent things about Team Medical Dragon as well. Thanks for the recs ^^
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Aleolus » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Hmm, Blade of the Immortal does sound interesting. I might be interested in checking it out.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:05 pm

For those interested in Blade of the Immortal, let me amend my previous comments: while it doesn't have constant fighting, nor is the fighting anywhere near as gory as some other seinen titles, it is not for anyone who is queasy about violence. There's one psychopath in particular who delights in cruelty and pain.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:45 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:For those interested in Blade of the Immortal, let me amend my previous comments: while it doesn't have constant fighting, nor is the fighting anywhere near as gory as some other seinen titles, it is not for anyone who is queasy about violence. There's one psychopath in particular who delights in cruelty and pain.

Since there continues to be responses on this one, let me see if I can steer it back toward the original interest (I also mentioned BOTI, though). One of the OPs interests seems to be lighter, more humorous work. Any other suggestions along that line (since I would be interested to hear them as well.)?

EricTheFred

Postby Aleolus » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:For those interested in Blade of the Immortal, let me amend my previous comments: while it doesn't have constant fighting, nor is the fighting anywhere near as gory as some other seinen titles, it is not for anyone who is queasy about violence. There's one psychopath in particular who delights in cruelty and pain.

As long as it's a villian who's doing it, and they get their just desserts, I have no problem with violence, blood and gore. When I get queasy is with horror-esque stuff, with senseless killing, and no end in sight for it.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby lwelyk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:21 pm

f
Last edited by lwelyk on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwelyk

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:10 am

lwelyk wrote:I need a new manga series to read.

I own:
Death Note
Fullmetal
Azumanga
Yotsuba
Fruits Basket

Anime wise:
Haruhi
Fullmetal
Azumanga
Lain

I only like FB as far as shojo goes so none of that. Death Note is my favorite manga and Lain is my favorite anime.

So, any suggestions?

well, you didn't really post any criteria in terms of offensive content...but here are my recommendations:

Manga:
Monster
20th Century Boys
Hunter x Hunter
Eyeshield 21
Mushishi
Great Teacher Onizuka
Akira

Anime:
Cowboy Bebop
Monster
Baccano!
Mushishi

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby lwelyk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:06 pm

f
Last edited by lwelyk on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwelyk

Postby kat-su-chan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:37 pm

I know this doesn't really fit here...but. uhm. Since I am in canada and am allowed to download legally (XP)
anybody know where I can get a torrent of fan-dubbed 20th c boys? pm me I guess ^^
Psalm 139
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby Stephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:05 pm

LOL. You do realise that your countries laws don't change CAA's policy right? (I would also question breaking international laws even if your country says its okay) But I digress. Any more requests for illegal downloads will result in strikes. You can guess where that leads.
Stephen

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 pm

More pressing still, kat-su-chan, Canada certainly does have copyright laws. If you don't believe me, you can see the following site for more details: http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/legislation/canadian_law/federal/copyright_act/cdn_copyright_ov.cfm With a few exceptions, every nation had copyright laws that you can be prosecuted under. Furthermore, were we willing to allow the people to swap information about illegal downloading on the boards, CAA could be subjected to legal action.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby kat-su-chan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:57 am

ShatterheartArk (post: 1189048) wrote:LOL. You do realise that your countries laws don't change CAA's policy right? (I would also question breaking international laws even if your country says its okay) But I digress. Any more requests for illegal downloads will result in strikes. You can guess where that leads.

Oh!
...is CAA's policy no downloading? :S
(sorry didn't realise it was such a fopah)
Psalm 139
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Links to download sites are a legal liability, hence will not be tolerated on the forums. You can discuss via PM according to your own conscience.
uc pseudonym

Postby mathgrant » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:30 am

I might as well post here.

I want to expand my tastes in manga. Here's what I've read:
Azumanga Daioh (4 volumes)
Ultra Maniac (4 volumes)
Yotsuba&! (5 volumes)

I'm not terribly good with the nasty cuss-language, although as my having enjoyed Azumanga shows, I'm getting more tolerant. Nonetheless, the closer to an "all ages" rating, the better. Also, I cannot begin to imagine myself reading any non-comedy manga. Call me narrow-minded, but whatever. I like to laugh, and my tastes in other media prove it. So, yeah. I hope this helps you guys recommend something to me. =D
MOES
Wii: 6324 9743 7460 3573 || WarioWare DIY: 3009 1173 0734
mathgrant

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:25 am

mathgrant (post: 1196888) wrote:I might as well post here.

Ultra Maniac (4 volumes)
Yotsuba&! (5 volumes)

I'm not terribly good with the nasty cuss-language, although as my having enjoyed Azumanga shows, I'm getting more tolerant. Nonetheless, the closer to an "all ages" rating, the better. Also, I cannot begin to imagine myself reading any non-comedy manga. Call me narrow-minded, but whatever. I like to laugh, and my tastes in other media prove it. So, yeah. I hope this helps you guys recommend something to me. =D

I suspect you will much enjoy School Rumble. Sgt. Frog may work well for you, too (although there is occasional fan service beyond any of the three titles you named or School Rumble, the humor runs in the same vein.) Check those out and report back, and then I might be able to expand on them.

EricTheFred

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:38 pm

mathgrant (post: 1196888) wrote:I might as well post here.

Ultra Maniac (4 volumes)
Yotsuba&! (5 volumes)

i recommend Whistle! it's a soccer manga that's perfectly clean. i wouldn't necessarily call it funny, but it's an excellent series w/ likable characters, lots of soccer action, and excellent characterization.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews