Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby muzik_gurl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1523973) wrote:

Is there any particular kind of "All Ages" manga you are looking for?

Umm... something cute/funny, or action, or romance. I was just looking for something clean, and not too immodest.
[color="Magenta"]I confess...I sing along to foreign songs that I dont understand at all. They're usually Korean.[/color]
muzik_gurl

Postby muzik_gurl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

Atria35 (post: 1524062) wrote:Viz doesn't- I've been on their site several times to try and look it up. You're right about Yen, Darkhorse and Seven Seas, though- Seven Seas is a little trickier to find those ratings listed!

And what Animegirl said about the rating. Some of the All Ages really aren't, because there's no universal standard for content ratings and each company polices their own titles. I can think of a few titles that are the reverse- where they're listed as for Teens or Older Teens but have virtually no objectionable content, such as Baby & Me, and the Aria series.

Thanks! I'll check those out!:jump:
[color="Magenta"]I confess...I sing along to foreign songs that I dont understand at all. They're usually Korean.[/color]
muzik_gurl

Postby MasterDias » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:11 am

Atria35 (post: 1524062) wrote:Viz doesn't- I've been on their site several times to try and look it up.

It's listed on each volume's page right under the price and ISBN. For example, this volume of Rurouni Kenshin has their "T+ for Older Teens" symbol.

On their store.viz.com site, it's inconsistent, but more recent releases will still generally say something like "Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for audiences T+."
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:21 am

MasterDias (post: 1524087) wrote:It's listed on each volume's page right under the price and ISBN. For example, this volume of Rurouni Kenshin has their "T+ for Older Teens" symbol.

On their store.viz.com site, it's inconsistent, but more recent releases will still generally say something like "Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for audiences T+."

I was looking at their store, which explains a lot! I went through about 6 titles, and didn't see any ratings. No wonder.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:23 pm

muzik_gurl (post: 1524082) wrote:Umm... something cute/funny, or action, or romance. I was just looking for something clean, and not too immodest.

I read it too long ago to comment on story quality, but Kitchen Princess is a very clean romance. The only content I remember is the heroine climbing a tree while wearing a dress--I think you see a bit of her underpants as she tries to cover them (she spots somebody--who wasn't looking--below her).
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby impact777 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 am

Could anybody recommend me some good manga? I like Yotsuba, Azumanga Daioh, Bakuman and Kenshin. I don't like bad religion and nudity. Any suggestion? ^^
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:13 pm

impact777 (post: 1525622) wrote:Could anybody recommend me some good manga? I like Yotsuba, Azumanga Daioh, Bakuman and Kenshin. I don't like bad religion and nudity. Any suggestion? ^^

Hikaru no Go- the only bad religion is one ghost who does [spoiler]pass onto heaven during the story[/spoiler]. Otherwise it's a fantastic manga that's a really great read.

School Rumble- probably better as an anime, but it's an awesome school romcom.

Aria - it's a very sweet slice of life manga.

Ryuushika Ryuushika- like Yotsubs in many ways, is very sweet and interesting
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks Atria! :)
Do you also know something in the style of Bakuman?
And where can I get Ryuushika Ryuushika?
Doumo arigatou!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:38 am

impact777 (post: 1525761) wrote:Thanks Atria! :)
Do you also know something in the style of Bakuman?
And where can I get Ryuushika Ryuushika?
Doumo arigatou!

There isn't anything like Bakuman with the standards that you have for nudity (there's a lot of fanservice in a lot of those series)- at least, nothing that I can really think of or find. Unless you're just up for something about the beginning of a mangaka, in which case you could check out the one volume A Zoo In Winter, but it's a much more realistic take on the subject.

Ryuushika Ryuushika is unlicensed, so you'd have to Google for places to read it. Or you can PM me about it.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 am

So I was asking a good Christian friend of mine about what manga I could possibly read, and he suggested Azumanga Daioh (of which the complete series version is nicely affordable, even if it's not super long) and Ouran High School Host Club. He actually misunderstood that I meant manga to read, and suggested the televised versions, but after some research I thought I could just read Azuamanga (can't get the animated series) and get the TV series of Ouran on iTunes (much cheaper than the DVD set).

My slight concern is with Ouran. I read some of the first chapters online, and it seems funny, and okay. Not like seriously gay in situations or anything. Although I do wonder a bit about the main character--as everyone thinks she is a guy, she likes the attention of the girls? My friend says all the characters are straight, I'm just unsure if I'm okay with it or not about the main character's non-concern about whether she's a guy or girl. I dunno. XD What do you all think?
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am

Exlon (post: 1527225) wrote:My slight concern is with Ouran. I read some of the first chapters online, and it seems funny, and okay. Not like seriously gay in situations or anything. Although I do wonder a bit about the main character--as everyone thinks she is a guy, she likes the attention of the girls? My friend says all the characters are straight, I'm just unsure if I'm okay with it or not about the main character's non-concern about whether she's a guy or girl. I dunno. XD What do you all think?

She's totally straight. She thinks the girls are amusing and fun to be around, but there is definitely absolutely no romantic interest in them.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 am

Atria35 (post: 1527233) wrote:She's totally straight. She thinks the girls are amusing and fun to be around, but there is definitely absolutely no romantic interest in them.

Thank you! That makes it much easier for me to decide now. :) Yeah, even though it's available in both manga and anime, I think I'll probably get Azumanga in book form and Ouran on iTunes so I have shows to watch on my computer. ;) There's 18 volumes for Ouran, and it'd end up totaling to over $150 if I liked the book version. :O TV show looks fun anyway.

Do you guys all think Azumanga is a fun read though?
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:51 pm

[quote="Exlon (post: 1527236)"]Thank you! That makes it much easier for me to decide now. :) Yeah, even though it's available in both manga and anime, I think I'll probably get Azumanga in book form and Ouran on iTunes so I have shows to watch on my computer. ]

Never read AzuDi, though I was very lukewarm to the anime. I'm in the minority, though, people really tend to like it no matter which version they go for.

Be warned- the anime and manga versions of Ouran are rather different plot-wise (there's more stories in the manga, as well as an entirely different ending), so since you're not going to be buying it for yourself, see if you can't borrow it from somebody :)
Atria35

Postby Neko-Hime » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 am

[quote="Exlon (post: 1527236)"]Thank you! That makes it much easier for me to decide now. :) Yeah, even though it's available in both manga and anime, I think I'll probably get Azumanga in book form and Ouran on iTunes so I have shows to watch on my computer. ]

As a note, Ouran is one of those that libraries tend to have. If you're near one, check it out! :D I've probably saved at least a thousands bucks (I kid you not) by going to my library. <3
Neko-Hime

Postby Exlon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:52 pm

I bought the first volume at B&N today and read through it in about 2 hours. x3 I read most of it online either yesterday (or the day before that) in a fan-made translation. So I noticed how this US version's a tad censored. I can understand them editing out the word "pedophile" as that's not really passable as funny in the states, but I was surprised they completely changed the dialogue about the part where Haruhi said she'd take the tea cake as an offering to leave at her mother's grave. After Haruhi said she'd take it as an offering to her mom, the part that changed was when all the girls talked like they assumed her mother was alive (when in the original, they were "Aww-ing" at how sweet Haruhi was to do such a thing). I guess 'cause it's not common the the US, right?

Neko-Hime (post: 1527410) wrote:As a note, Ouran is one of those that libraries tend to have. If you're near one, check it out! :D I've probably saved at least a thousands bucks (I kid you not) by going to my library. <3

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to pay full-price for the next 17 volumes there are left. XD Thing is, I'm a person who likes to own books, so I guess I'll have to decide somehow...Maybe this is a series I can put on birthday wish lists? :P
Exlon

Postby gimin1294 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:24 am

Exlon (post: 1527236) wrote:Do you guys all think Azumanga is a fun read though?

Yes. Though it has a few cultural jokes but most of it is a great read. I would suggest Yotsuba! after this one.

Speaking of which..is the one published by Yen Press the improved ones from Japan? I mean, before they've released three improved volumes of Azumanga Daioh in Japan so I was wondering if the one published by Yen Press is that one or is it the same one with ADV manga?

Anyone here reads the manga version of Hanasaku Iroha?
gimin1294

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:35 am

gimin1294 (post: 1527773) wrote:Speaking of which..is the one published by Yen Press the improved ones from Japan? I mean, before they've released three improved volumes of Azumanga Daioh in Japan so I was wondering if the one published by Yen Press is that one or is it the same one with ADV manga?

Improved? I believe that Yen put out a new translation from the AzuDi from ADV. But Yotsuba has only been published by Yen Press, if that's what you mean.

I've only seen the anime of Hanasaku, unfortunately, but the anime was pretty good.
Atria35

Postby gimin1294 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 am

Atria35 (post: 1527777) wrote:Improved? I believe that Yen put out a new translation from the AzuDi from ADV. But Yotsuba has only been published by Yen Press, if that's what you mean.

I've only seen the anime of Hanasaku, unfortunately, but the anime was pretty good.

I see thanks for the information.

Somehow they've released the first volume of Hanasaku Iroha when nearly half of the anime's been on air already..then the anime ended then volume two comes up.
gimin1294

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 am

gimin1294 (post: 1527787) wrote:Somehow they've released the first volume of Hanasaku Iroha when nearly half of the anime's been on air already..then the anime ended then volume two comes up.

That's not really unusual- there are a number of cases where the anime is aired very soon after the manga starts publishing, like the first FMA anime and the Fruits Basket anime, which only had about seven volumes of material to work off of when they aired. Hanasaku started publishing in December, so they probably only had enough chapters to publish one volume by April, and the second volume would definitely have come out after that.
Atria35

Postby Rri X » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:50 am

Hey everyone~!

Could I get a content review for Tegami Bachi? Thanks!
Rri X

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Tegami Bachi features pretty much no actual violence, sex, and a voluptuous deity that isn't fond of clothing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Exlon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:40 pm

So I think I've got an even amount of slice-of-life picks so far, but I was wondering if anybody had a particular fantasy recommendation? Something without obscenity, religious/occult stuff, y'know. ^_^ No horror. I don't mind "magic" as long as it bears no similarity to real witchcraft.
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Fantasy.... +Anima is fantastic in that regard, with kids that gain the ability to partially change into animals when their lives are endangered. It's more of a really cute fantasy/adventure story, though, but really good.

Natsume's Book of Friends is also awesome, it deals with Japanese mythology but it's not religious. I don't know how to properly describe that, but I'd say check out a few chapters and see what you think.

From Far Away is an interesting one, involving a girl who's transported to another world. I'm only through the first three volumes, they're pretty clean but I can't speak for the rest of it.

Mushishi - This also isn't religious and doesn't deal with Japanese mythology, either. It's based around a guy who can see (made up for the purposes of the manga) Mushishi, which are little creatures that do strange things to the world. Kind of like Midichlorians from Star Wars. But if they could make people disappear by accident.

Chibi Vampire - as long as you're okay with some non-graphic fanservice here and there, it's about a vampire that gives blood instead of drinking it. There is the implication of sexual relationships, but those went completely over my head when I was younger, so they really aren't that obvious.

Nobody Can Hear Me But You - about a girl who suddenly starts hearing a guy's voice in her head. One of the best romances out there at the moment.

Magic Knight Rayearth - fun, fantasy, clean. This is definitely one to check out.

Someday's Dreamers - The 'magic' here is just closing your eyes and wishing real hard, nothing like real occult practices. It's definitely a gret read.

And the anime Twelve Kingdoms. It's not manga, but it's a FABULOUS (and clean except for some blood when she defeats monsters) fantasy anime.
Atria35

Postby Kaori » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 am

Hiiro no Isu (The Scarlet Chair) - a swordswoman goes to the capitol to search for her childhood friend who is supposed to have become king. Has some political intrigue, sword-fighting, and not a lot of actual blood.

And I second Twelve Kingdoms. You have to get past the fact that the main character's personality is almost unbearable for the first three or four episodes, but it really is an excellent anime.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Exlon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:37 pm

*To all who care to bother*

If you could name your top 5 favorite manga series (whatever genre), what would they be? :) And if you feel there's questionable content, maybe a short note for each.
Exlon

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:33 pm

I am guessing you want them for recommendations, so I can take a shot.

1) Fullmetal Alchemist - deals with some heavy themes, some violence, main characters are illegitimate children
2) The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer - some fanservice, mild violence
3) Yotsuba&!
4) Solanin - mild nudity, sexual content
5) Blade of the Immortal - mild nudity, super violent, some sexual content
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:27 pm

1. Yotsuba&!
2. NG Life - bad religion (reincarnation is a main theme), swearing, some violence (no gore, but definitely some blood and implied death)
3. They Were 11- one character is an alien that has the ability to choose genders
4. Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan - implied death, some blood
5. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service - bad religion (characters are buddhist, dead can speak and sometimes move), some light language, some partial nudity, some violence that can range from minor injuries to somewhat horrific wounds
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Hats (post: 1530228) wrote:1) Fullmetal Alchemist... main characters are illegitimate children

They are? I... had no idea. *ashamed of her obliviousness*

And I, er, only have a top 4. XD]Fullmetal Alchemist[/I]. Hats laid down content pretty well. There's also some moderate swearing.
#2: Ouran High School Host Club. I think you got this title's content before (and I haven't read or see it all, anyway).
#3: Yotsuba&!. It's rated all-ages, but there is a mild cuss word once in a blue moon, and a visit to a shrine. It's all done about as inoffensively as possible.
#4: Tegami Bachi. I've only read to volume 6, so this won't be totally thorough: There's some non-gory fantasy violence. A small girl sometimes doesn't wear underpants (however, the English translation moves any accompanying sound effects to mostly cover her bum when needed). One woman wears an immodest, physics-defying top, but it covers what it needs to. There's some religion, but so far there's nothing obnoxious about it. If there's any language, it's very mild.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Lynna » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1530228) wrote:1) Fullmetal Alchemist - ... main characters are illegitimate children

Did it specifically state this? Their parents seemed very...married-ish, and I always though the reason they had their mother's name was because they were mad at their Father

1. FullMetal Alchemist(I haven't actually Read the manga, but I watched Brotherhood, that follows well)
2. Fruits Basket- There's some religious issues, Some swearing, and some characters pretend to be homosexual(Though they aren't) there's also some other sexual content, but it's all off screen and between minor characters.
3. ARIA- No bad content at all
4. Shugo Chara- There are some...huh...complicated situations
5. Gakuen Alice- Same
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Cadence » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:23 pm

And mine:

1. Amatsuki (my personal favorite, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone else. Some language, some infrequent but bloody violence, religious themes, and around half of the main cast are demons/ayakashi)
2. Yotsuba&! (what Fu said)
3. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (women androids "kiss" each other to exchange information)
4. Hikaru no Go (there's a ghost)
5. Natsume Yuujinchou/Natsume's Book of Friends (Shintoism. I think there is some mild language in the Viz translation.)

I'm seeing a trend here...if you haven't already, you should read Yotsuba&!.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews