Quality of Mangas?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Quality of Mangas?

Postby Puguni » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm

I remember way back when Fruits Basket still wasn't mainstream, and I had a copy of volume 4 in Japanese. Interested in buying a translation of the same volume later on, I looked for Tokyopop's version.

It was noticeably bigger than the Japanese printed one. It was thicker and bulkier. I can't quite explain it, but it really had that Americanized feel. The Japanese published version was small, the pages were thinner and slightly yellow in a good way.

[edit] I know that manga in Japan are meant to be disposable, I just don't understand why the U.S., the land of cheap mass production, didn't do that when it doesn't make sense to expensively make a book made to be cheap.[/edit]
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:14 pm

Because Japanese Manga are built much more cheaply than American comics... They're designed to be disposable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Puguni » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:28 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Because Japanese Manga are built much more cheaply than American comics... They're designed to be disposable.

I'm well aware that they're made more cheaply, but, as I've now added in my edited post:

I just don't understand why the U.S., the land of cheap mass production, didn't do that when it doesn't make sense to expensively make a book originally made cheaply.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:05 pm

the U.S. sells there mangas for much more money than Japan does. maybe they're trying to find a new way to make lots of money, as manga and anime is becoming more and more popular in America.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:10 pm

I don't know about you, but I like to hang onto my manga and read it again and again. I'd be a little upset if my manga wasn't built to last.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby mai » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:50 pm

I agree with Morwen. Though it is always nice to pay less for something I don't consider my manga disposable.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Debitt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:08 pm

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:I don't know about you, but I like to hang onto my manga and read it again and again. I'd be a little upset if my manga wasn't built to last.

Thing is, I have fairly abused copies of Japanese manga that are maybe three years old and are still perfectly readable. o.o

I've always wondered why there's a difference between the printings of translated and untranslated manga. The bigger-ness, especially.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Because asians have smaller eyes?

XDDD Kidding kidding.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:08 pm

I have four volumes of DN in Japanese and I kinda like the smallness.... I guess it all comes down to the fact that we pay more. In Japan I've heard that a little manga book would cost what would be about $4. Since ours are made nicer, they can sell them for more. They might also be made nicer in order to appeal to the general public that these are not cheap little comics, but actually genuinely thought out stories.
Kawaiikneko

Postby mai » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:29 pm

In Japan they are smaller? 0_o The standard size is already kind of small when compared to other comic issues...I've actually been hoping for bigger sizes. Do they ever print more than one size for a series in Japan?
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:57 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:They might also be made nicer in order to appeal to the general public that these are not cheap little comics, but actually genuinely thought out stories.

I'm guessing that's the case. Way back before I started buying manga the American versions were supposedly even nicer (that was back when they used to always flip the pages too). I think Tokyopop was the first to start making the books on cheaper paper so they could sell for less.

I'm sure it's a marketing thing, to make them look nicer like that. I'm sure the thought is that way they appeal to a wider audience, and someone who has no clue what it is will be more likely to buy it.

I don't really think Japanese versions are that much smaller though (I'm talking about the height and width of the page). When I was in Japan they seemed pretty close to me. Maybe a little smaller, but not much. They are definately skinner though. You see lots of people reading manga on the subways or when waiting in line, and if the manga were thick (like in the US) they wouldn't be able to carry them around like that.

Oh and Mai, I think they only time manga is released in different sizes in Japan is if they decide to release a special edition or a hardcover version (which are bigger).

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Debitt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:29 am

mai wrote:In Japan they are smaller? 0_o The standard size is already kind of small when compared to other comic issues...I've actually been hoping for bigger sizes. Do they ever print more than one size for a series in Japan?

The size doesn't fluctuate within a series unless they put out a special edition, like MyrrhLynn said. Between series, the size depends on the company that's publishing the series, I think. My Japanese copies of Tactics and Matantei Loki Ragnarok are only a little smaller than the English. The Shounen Jump and Asuka manga I own are a good deal smaller than the English, and they don't feel as sturdy as my Tactics manga. :3

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews