*sighs* I need help

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

*sighs* I need help

Postby faithfighter » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:45 pm

I've really fallen out of the manga reading. all of my series either don't have new ones yet, lost my interest, or I wouldn't come into my bookstore.
I'm into ever genre as long as the there is strong character plots and if it is clean.

can you guess tell me some good ones to look into?
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:31 pm

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki is great for an epic sci-fi/fantasy.
Doraemon is great for a bit of fun/surreal humour.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:20 pm

what exactly do you mean by clean? do you mean, clean of all inappropriate content? or language-wise? or violence-wise? or sexual content/nudity-wise?
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:37 pm

*inserts obligatory Rurouni Kenshin and Full Moon wo Sagashite plug here*

Anyways, those two are both quite good, and are relatively clean. Kenshin's got lots of violence though, and some of it can get pretty gory (several decapitated heads, more blood than an elephant has, etc. All of it is in black and white due to the nature of manga, but see the review for more details anyways). If you're ok with that, it's very clean on the sexual content, and it's also pretty clean as far as language goes, too. It starts out with around 1-2 mild curse words per manga, but as the story progresses, it thins out until there's hardly any anymore. The art's wonderful, the story's very fun and easy to follow, and it'll keep you interested for a while with its 28 volumes. :thumb:

Full Moon wo Sagashite is also quite clean. There are more sexual situations than you'd find in Rurouni Kenshin (though none of them are explicitly shown--one character has an affair and you see her in a bra in vol. 6; most other references are off-screen or merely spoken of), and of course there are Shinigami. I recall some mild language, but really not a whole lot. If you're looking for good character development and plot though, go for this one--it's quite good in that regard! And I don't think I even have to mention how gorgeous the artwork is. ;) Anyways, hope this helps, and also, could you please make a list of the manga you have read? If you've already read these, then I'm sure it'd be helpful to all of us if we knew what you had already read. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby faithfighter » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:26 pm

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki is great for an epic sci-fi/fantasy.
Doraemon is great for a bit of fun/surreal humour.

thanks C. I'll look into these.

what exactly do you mean by clean? do you mean, clean of all inappropriate content? or language-wise? or violence-wise? or sexual content/nudity-wise?

sexual content/nudity-wise mostly. I don't mind violence as long as it isn't pointless and I can tolerate mild cursing but would prefer not to have it.

thanks so much Radical Dreamer!! I can tell you put a lot of time into your reply!
I have volumes 1-8 of Kenshin but it kind of lost me when it went from saturday mornign cartoon style to epic novel (right around volume 7) I have just started full moon and really like it so far!!
mangas I like:
>Tsubasa
>from far away
>rave master
>one peice
>Fruits basket
>juvenile Orion
>Imadoki now a days

the ones that lost my interest:
>Inuyasha (it takes soooo long to get anywhere!!)
>Kenshin (as I already mentioned)
>Sukoden III

ones I didn't like:
>.hack//twilight (it was to weird...with the whole brother sister liking each other thing...>.<)
>gravitation (I started reading it before I realized it was...um...well what it is...)
> Psychic academy (not clean in any way!!!)
>Naruto (to much nudity)
>drama con (way to much...everything)

there you go hope that is helpful
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:43 pm

faithfighter wrote:
ones I didn't like:
>.hack//twilight (it was to weird...with the whole brother sister liking each other thing...>.<)
>gravitation (I started reading it before I realized it was...um...well what it is...)
>Naruto (to much nudity)

Just wanted to point out a couple things:

In Naruto (as far as I've read on which is a number of volumes) the ONLY nudity in it, is in the first volume. Maybe too much in that one, but that's it. And nothing a sharpie/post-it notes can't help cover up^^

As for .hack, the characters didn't really LIKE each other. I know there was another topic on this a while back, and basically all it is is a sister looking up to her (slightly) older brother, and her brother being a pre-teen guy and seeing his sister in such a get up. He didn't even actually LIKE her, seeing her in a costume was only a shock, and he was just trying to be a protective brother... Although I WILL admit there are a couple ecchi pics in it (not QUITE nudity) but those can be covered up, and a couple rude comments here and there that were unecessary :/

I just wanted to mention that, so things like wouldnt' be misunderstood^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby MasterDias » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Just wanted to point out a couple things:
In Naruto (as far as I've read on which is a number of volumes) the ONLY nudity in it, is in the first volume. Maybe too much in that one, but that's it. And nothing a sharpie/post-it notes can't help cover up^^

Close but not completely accurate.
There a bit around Volume 10 or so, and a bit in a recent volume. But in a long series like Naruto, it's still quite minimal.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:58 pm

MasterDias wrote:Close but not completely accurate.
There a bit around Volume 10 or so, and a bit in a recent volume. But in a long series like Naruto, it's still quite minimal.

Yeah, as I've said "as far as I've gotten". Think I got to... volume 7 or 8 before I stopped reading it, and up until then it was clean except for the first volume.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:49 pm

faithfighter wrote:thanks C. I'll look into these.

sexual content/nudity-wise mostly. I don't mind violence as long as it isn't pointless and I can tolerate mild cursing but would prefer not to have it.

thanks so much Radical Dreamer!! I can tell you put a lot of time into your reply!
I have volumes 1-8 of Kenshin but it kind of lost me when it went from saturday mornign cartoon style to epic novel (right around volume 7) I have just started full moon and really like it so far!!
mangas I like:
>Tsubasa
>from far away
>rave master
>one peice
>Fruits basket
>juvenile Orion
>Imadoki now a days

the ones that lost my interest:
>Inuyasha (it takes soooo long to get anywhere!!)
>Kenshin (as I already mentioned)
>Sukoden III

ones I didn't like:
>Naruto (to much nudity)

there you go hope that is helpful

first of all, naruto has less nudity than inu yasha so yeah. most of the nudity's in the first volume of naruto. there's more nudity later on that is basically edited by viz. as for rave master, that manga is clean for about the first 10 or 11 volumes. after that, there's more fan service and suggestive themes. as for mangas, i would recommend:

whistle - soccer manga filled with lots of character developement and interesting characters. it's VERY clean.

eyeshield 21 - football manga filled with great characters, a creative and original plot, lots of football games, and some lighthearted humor.

bleach - okay. this manga has some nudity (though it's basically censored by viz). the nudity is not freaquent and not detailed at all. there's also some innuendo and some swearing. as for the good things about the manga, it holds an excellent plot. the battles are interesting and very well-done. the characters are also intriguing and the storyline is completely original. there's also quite an interesting plot twist. good action manga.

fullmetal alchemist - there's no nudity in this manga (as i can rememeber). some religious themes and material. the manga's still excellent. the art is extremely consistent, the story is remarkably well-done. the manga also has some appealing plot twists and the characters develope quite a bit through the story.

hunter x hunter - i don't know. this manga might seriously be a little TOO violent. as for sexual content and such, there's no nudity and sexual content is rarely touched upon. there are some implied suggestive themes but nothing that bad. the violence is quite gruesome in this manga but it's still very good. lots of great themes are stressed in this manga and the bizarre characters definitely make the manga interesting. the story is also great. lots of character developement too.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby faithfighter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:34 pm

Tenshi no Ai in reply to you. I actually didn't make it past the first Naruto so maybe thats why...lol. I shall try it again. the story was soo good! a lot faster then the anime.

thank you so much jon_jinn!! I will definatly look into those whistle and hunter x hunter look great!

one q is FMA manga any better than the serise? because I really don't like the anime
faithfighter

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:58 am

faithfighter wrote:...is FMA manga any better than the serise?

Uh oh...
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Mega.EXE » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 am

Ooooh! Prince of Tennis minimal cursing no nudity (I mean c'mon it's Tennis XD) Or Mega Man NT Warrior Which has no cursing or anything it's completely clean. Hope it helped ^^
Mega.EXE

Postby Myoti » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:42 am

YES. The FMA manga is much better, and definetly worth reading. Probably about the same level violence-wise, but nothing sexual (and the closest thing to 'nudity' didn't actually show anything, which sort of amazed me).

And yay, you're already reading One Piece! =D
Too bad the American volumes are taking so long to come out (now at volume 12; Japan's on 43 X.x ).
Myoti

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:10 pm

faithfighter wrote:thank you so much jon_jinn!! I will definatly look into those whistle and hunter x hunter look great!

one q is FMA manga any better than the serise? because I really don't like the anime

your welcome. XD
anyways, for your question about the FMA manga (as myoti already said) the manga is a LOT better than the anime. the story's sorta the same for like the first...5 or 6 volumes. then, BOOM!! it's like a whole different thing. i think the manga's more violent than the anime but as for sexual content and nudity, there's basically none. you should try it.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:40 pm

I actually prefer the anime to the manga with FMA, but both are highly recommended by me. ^^

Also...how do you feel about OEL/American manga? I read a webcomic called Earthsong that has one volume out currently--it's full color, and the art is great. A fun fantasy/adventure manga. It's fairly clean, too--off the top of my head there's a little bit of swearing and a fair amount of violence (I'd say a high PG or a low PG-13), but as far as I can remember, no sexuality or nudity. You can read the manga at the website: http://www.earthsongsaga.com. If you like it, though, I'd urge you to pick up a copy of it in print if you can--it hasn't been doing very well in sales, and if she doesn't sell enough of the first volume her publisher probably won't print volume 2, which could be the end of the comic. ^^;
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby faithfighter » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Uh oh...

???

thanks Mega.EXE I've heard of those! I'll diffenatly look into them
YES. The FMA manga is much better, and definetly worth reading. Probably about the same level violence-wise, but nothing sexual (and the closest thing to 'nudity' didn't actually show anything, which sort of amazed me).

And yay, you're already reading One Piece! =D
Too bad the American volumes are taking so long to come out (now at volume 12; Japan's on 43 X.x ).

ok good! because I totally love the shows begining and hate how it turns out.

yesh one peice rocks! my bookstore sucks thu...I haven't been able to get volume 6 so I'm stuck all the way back there!!

ok jon_jinn since you both agree it's better I will try it! I believe they have it at my bookstore so I will try and get it when I can.

MorwenLaicoriel, I've heard of Earthsong but never could quite get into it. I tried reading it off the site a bit.
however I love American manga my favorite being
Inverloch but I've also read Neotopia and Last Hope
faithfighter

Postby KBMaster » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:00 am

Yes, the FMA manga is better than the anime. I've watched / seen both and I preferred the manga.

I'll recommend Black Cat. It's liscensed by Viz, so the cursing shouldn't be too bad, probably only when a character is angry. Violence isn't too bad. There is one shower scene(the girl in the shower is shown from the back) but that's it. Rinslet does wear some chest-revealing outfits, but that's it. If you want more info, read the review.

I guess I'll also recommend Death Note, although judging from your "already read" list, you may not like it. It's a physcological thriller. It's fairly clean, the worst thing I can think of would be when Light reads a magazine featuring scantily clad females wearing bikinis to throw off his pursuers. The basic plot is this - Light finds notebook that has the ability to kill people, Light decides to rid the world of evil, L tries to catch Light.

It's a little darker than some of the mangas you've read, but it's still good.

Aria is squeaky as far as I know. It's a very cute manga about a gondola-rowing girl on mars. Sounds boring, but I like it.

Yotsubato is also squeaky. It's about the life of a green-haired 5 year old who is anything but ordinary.

Azumanga Daioh is by the same author as Yotsuba. While this title is not as clean as Yotsuba, it's hilarious. It's about he life of 6 high schoolers with various personalities. There's a bit of language, maybe a bit too much for your tastes... Hm. There's also talk of girl's bust sizes and bodies. And one of the teachers is kind of perverted. You might want to check into this title before purchasing it.
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:56 pm

yes. black cat is also a good manga. kb master basically told you the main points of that manga. you can read my review on the black cat manga in the manga reviews section...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Animus Seed » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:59 pm

faithfighter wrote:
Animus Seed wrote:Uh oh...
???

I was worried that this would turn into an argument over which version of Fullmetal Alchemist is better. Though there are disagreements *cough, cough-the-manga-removed-everything-that-attracted-me-to-the-story-cough, cough*...

...the fact that it doesn't go any farther than "I like the manga more" or "I like the anime more" without turning into an argument reminds me why I joined this great community to begin with. :)
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Myoti » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Though there are disagreements *cough, cough-the-manga-removed-everything-that-attracted-me-to-the-story-cough, cough*...

But the manga was written first, and is still ongoing (with a story that still manages to make sense). How can you not like that (or better yet, how much have you read)? o_O
Myoti

Postby faithfighter » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:07 pm

thanks KBMaster and jon_jinn!!
and everyone else who has contributed! everyone has given me a lot to look into!!!

But the manga was written first, and is still ongoing (with a story that still manages to make sense). How can you not like that (or better yet, how much have you read)? o_O

now now Myoti let's not make Animus Seed regret the compliment he just paid us ;)
faithfighter

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews