Manga Takeout?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga Takeout?

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:04 pm

I recently heard about this new thing called "manga takeout" which is supposed to be to manga what Netflix is to dvds. It brags about having libraries "several hundred titles deep" but I'm wondering if it's really up to par. Anyone else ever heard of it, know any horror stories, etc?
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:10 pm

I've never heard of it, no. It does sound like a pretty good idea, but somehow it seems that books would be harder to send through the mail than dvds. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Alice » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Tell me more. o.o
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:29 pm

hmmm... that sounds pretty interesting...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Well, here's what I know:

there are 2 plans. Plan A is 2 Manga checked out at a time for 24.95 per month. Plan B is 4 Manga checked out at a time for $42.95. You also get membership with the site's sister, Anime Takeout, so you can have a DVD in place of a manga.

It sounds ok, and it's the only one I've heard of that does both manga and anime, but it still seems pricey. Is RentAnime or other alternatives better?
Ashley

Postby MasterDias » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:20 pm

That...really sounds pricey to me. $43 a month. Isn't Netflix much cheaper than that for DVDs?
But, regardless, do they have a site or something that you can link to?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:14 am

Wow, that IS expensive. Netflix is around 10$ a month ($9.95 or something) for one DVD, and it's around 17$ for three at a time. So yeah, while that's a cool idea, it's verrry expensive compared to Netflix. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ashley » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:51 am

http://www.mangatakeout.com

Well, I knew it was more expensive than Netflix. I was trying to determine if the coolness of renting manga was worth the extra cash. The anime is just a plus.
Ashley

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 am

Plus, if it's new, it likely has only one distro center, and that means LOOONG waiting times for the majority of people. The same problem rent anime had... Also, being new means their stock is probably low, and you'll end up with a lot of "Long Wait"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:16 pm

._. I think it's too expensive. You can buy two manga for 25 dollars and have extra money left over for a box of Pocky or two...

If it was 25 dollars a month for 4 manga, then maybe it'd be a good deal.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ashley » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 pm

You can buy two manga for 25 dollars and have extra money left over for a box of Pocky or two...

You know, that's a good point...but I think I was thinking it'd be okay because it's only two out at a time not a month. I could easily read 4 or 6 manga a month if money weren't the issue.

Plus, if it's new, it likely has only one distro center, and that means LOOONG waiting times for the majority of people. The same problem rent anime had... Also, being new means their stock is probably low, and you'll end up with a lot of "Long Wait"

Very good point. Hmmm......
Ashley

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews