Train Man

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Train Man

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:14 pm

Yeah, I know, it's a shojo. But I was unashamed to buy it and don't care who knows I've read it. Seriously, from a single male otaku's perspective, it's perfect. I can totally relate to the feeling of self-loathing and hopelessness that the main character has in the beginning and cheer him on the whole way through. It's a nice love story and it's all contained within one volume.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ducheval » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:34 am

Having read the mangas and watched the movie/j-drama, I've never thought of it as Shoujo. It's definitely told from a male perspective; and while the subject is romance, it's about the male process of it rather than the female. Not even the male perspective, the otaku perspective XD

I've often thought that otaku culture transcends gender stereotypes in people (though, less so in Japan). Most of my male friends (including myself) sew and read shoujo (not necessarily as their primary genre though), and my female friends all play fighting games and read shonen jump from time to time. That a book written about the otaku experience should also blur the lines between gender-based genres seems quite natural. I would think you could totally swap the genders of Densha/Hermes and the story would still make perfect sense, including all their mannerisms.

I'm working my way through the actual novel in japanese right now actually. It's pretty fantastic! You can preview some of the novel here: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-Aquarius/7075/trainman.html

I should note, reading it will probably warp your japanese beyond recognition to any aside some an akiba-type XDDD
ducheval

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 pm

Uh... I can't read Japanese. I'll have to wait for the "Oprah's Book Club" release or something.
Now, that's something you wouldn't catch me buying. :red:
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:45 pm

Wow. That sounds like a really cool series. I don't know if its out in NZ yet but I'll look out for it.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews