Berserk

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Berserk

Postby Tommy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:51 am

I just started reading the Berserk manga. pretty good stuff, but I can't find myself to like Gutts that much. Normally, I would find a character like him to be cool bt he appears "too evil to be good."

Anyways, does the series end at Volume 32 because I have a source that leads to manga Volume 32, Chapter 3, and stops there. Is there more to the series?

The source will only be shared through PM.
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:20 pm

berserk is really good stuff man. many would consider berserk to be THE greatest manga in the world. it has VERY high ratings and reviews (maybe higher than monster) and for good reason. though graphic, the manga still has its many great points. the art is extremely detailed and very awesome. the storyline has many great plot twists and the characters are very realistic and mysterious. lots of thought-provoking questions are raised and it's very obvious that the manga was well-planned. the battle sequences are especially well-drawn and the setting of the story (medieval times) is very accurate and pinpointed.

as for not liking guts, it really depends on what volume you're on. i didn't like guts that much when i first started reading this manga but when i started volume 4, it got REALLY interesting. the author spends a lot of time developing guts and showing us his past experiences. what kinds of problems he faced and the many intriguing characters he met and the bonds that grew between him and those characters. anyways, the mangaka takes quite a bit of time to release his volumes but i don't blame him since the manga is so detailed (five to six months about). i do believe that the manga continues to go on after volume 32 since the story is so engrossing and many secrets and mysteries still need to be unraveled. yep. berserk is definitely a good manga.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:46 pm

I'll leave aside general comments about Berserk for now.

The only character I particularly like is Skull Knight. Guts has annoyed me for most of the series, but you have to admire his determination (if not his bull-headedness). I really wonder about how the series will developed and how he will not only get stronger, which happens in any shonen series, but actually evolve into a higher life form. This is one of the things that keeps me reading the manga.

Tom Dincht wrote:Anyways, does the series end at Volume 32 because I have a source that leads to manga Volume 32, Chapter 3, and stops there. Is there more to the series?

Heh, yes. If Berserk ended then the story would be terribly underdeveloped. It is likely to be at least 50 volumes in length and has currently reached chapter 279 (not sure how that falls out in volumes). Gatts is still nothing more than a flying fish leaping at the moon...
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:32 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Heh, yes. If Berserk ended then the story would be terribly underdeveloped. It is likely to be at least 50 volumes in length and has currently reached chapter 279 (not sure how that falls out in volumes).

yep. there you have it. the manga is well to be around 50 volumes. Berserk is definitely going to be in the tops for a while then.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 am

Tom Dincht wrote:I just started reading the Berserk manga. pretty good stuff, but I can't find myself to like Gutts that much. Normally, I would find a character like him to be cool bt he appears "too evil to be good."

Anyways, does the series end at Volume 32 because I have a source that leads to manga Volume 32, Chapter 3, and stops there. Is there more to the series?

The source will only be shared through PM.

Berserk is a *very* adult series, man, I wouldn't suggest reading it if you're under 18.

But yeah, Berserk is my favourite manga, since it operates on so many more levels than just the surface. Gutts is awesome and I can't really think of many characters that even come close to his crazy, whacky big-sword-swingin' ness. I love Mr. Gutts, simply because he makes no bones about who he is. He's not a good guy, just less of a bad guy.

And no, Berserk isn't ending any time within our lifetime. Kentarou Miura is just sort of taking a little vacation right now, but hopefully new chapters will come out (they usually do once a month in Young Animal).
Joshua Christopher

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:48 pm

I appreciate you warning me about the content of Berserk, Joshua, and I found your review to be one of the best on the site, but I definately think I can handle it.

If I can handle GantZ, I can handle this. Sure, the violence is worse, but that doesn't bother me in drawings.

I am currently reading Volume 5.
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:17 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:If I can handle GantZ, I can handle this. Sure, the violence is worse, but that doesn't bother me in drawings.

yep. gantz is about on the same level as berserk. though the pictures in gantz are more clean drawn and not as sketchy. i'm more concerned about the sexual content in the mangas than the violence since i can handle most violence. however, i'm very lucky because i know somebody who has read up to the latest in berserk and has censored the nudity and sex scenes as well as edited out much of the swearing (mainly the stronger profanities) for me.
:sweat:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:22 pm

Among the readers here, do you think we could get some actual discussion of the manga? Most of it would have to be in spoiler tags, of course. I'd like to have someone to discuss Berserk with other than fanboys or those obsessed with the religious aspects.

uc pseudonym wrote:The only character I particularly like is Skull Knight.

I need to amend my previous comment about characters... I suppose I like Scerpico somewhat as well. You have to like a guy who fights mostly with intelligence in a world where the primary combat strategy seems to be "attack attack attack."
uc pseudonym

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:44 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I need to amend my previous comment about characters... I suppose I like Scerpico somewhat as well. You have to like a guy who fights mostly with intelligence in a world where the primary combat strategy seems to be "attack attack attack."

Serpico is really a cool character. His fight with Gutts on that cliff made me love him like a son.

But I really like Gutts, perhaps because I can really appreciate the fact that no matter what that guy goes through he never gives up, even [spoiler]cutting his own ARM off.[/spoiler]

In other news, it seems like Miura is taking an angrily long vacation. By the way UC, how far in are you? I'm caught up with whatever the newest chapter is.

To all those just starting Berserk, it kind of takes a little while before the book really starts getting good (for me it was around the time when Zodd shows up).
Joshua Christopher

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:32 pm

I want to read it but from the reviews this thing has A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of sexual content and nudity. I don't have a way to edit this out. Is it worth it?
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 pm

memmer66 wrote:I want to read it but from the reviews this thing has A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of sexual content and nudity. I don't have a way to edit this out. Is it worth it?

If you're 13, please don't read Berserk. It contains graphic sex scenes including rape, all details shown.
Joshua Christopher

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:27 am

well, as for me, i just finished volume 9. too much sexual content in this volume. my friend just told me to skip entire chapters and explained to me what happened after i finished the volume as well as the significance of these scenes. the manga's getting more and more interesting.

oh, and a note to uc pseudonym: i finally got to see skull knight in volume 9!! XD

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby memmer66 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Is the anime any better? Cause I know where to go to watch it but if the manga who so much of this in it what about the anime?
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:I appreciate you warning me about the content of Berserk, Joshua, and I found your review to be one of the best on the site, but I definately think I can handle it.

If I can handle GantZ, I can handle this. Sure, the violence is worse, but that doesn't bother me in drawings.

I am currently reading Volume 5.

HAHAHA wait your serious......... I am gonna have to agree with Joshua its a nasty series nudity and violence wise. Its great but its not worth seeing almost hentai level nudity. Tom i wouldn't continue reading it I were you. Actually i think you should pray about it.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:31 pm

I just finished 13 and I am so happy because finnaly it hit beyound the animated series. everything is all new from here on out. And long series are nice but it worries me about people working on things like books for alot of years because sometimes people dont finish or worse yet cant finish for reasons such as they grow old get in accident or die. so I hope he shakes a leg and finishes up. Yes and Guts is really awsome with all the interesting feets he keeps acomplashing what I want to figure out is if the princess has another roll in this series anytime in the future. Also If any of you get the chance play or at least read up on Sword of the Berserk Guts rage on dreamcast it is a real nice side story that adds to the story.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:22 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:But I really like Gutts, perhaps because I can really appreciate the fact that no matter what that guy goes through he never gives up, even <SPOILER>

Yeah, that was pretty hard core. As I said, I like how determined he is.

Joshua Christopher wrote:By the way UC, how far in are you? I'm caught up with whatever the newest chapter is.

Up to the most recent and also slightly irked at the long vacation. When 279 didn't have an announcement for the next chapter I had a very bad feeling we'd be in for another long wait. Regarding recent chapters:
[spoiler]It was fairly interesting seeing Zodd and Gutts team up. I wonder about the rest of the battle with the empire. This part of the story (with that Apostle emperor) has thrown me off slightly]

Joshua Christopher wrote:To all those just starting Berserk, it kind of takes a little while before the book really starts getting good (for me it was around the time when Zodd shows up).

Agreed. I actually found almost all the flashback pretty boring except for elements like the Behelit that hint at something greater.

jon_jinn wrote:well, as for me, i just finished volume 9. too much sexual content in this volume. my friend just told me to skip entire chapters and explained to me what happened after i finished the volume as well as the significance of these scenes.

Then you're probably going to want to skip volume 13 as well. The sex scene in volume 9 didn't really phase me, but I'm not so jaded as to read through the rape in 13 without blinking.

memmer66 wrote:Is the anime any better? Cause I know where to go to watch it but if the manga who so much of this in it what about the anime?

I haven't watched a great deal of the anime, but I don't recommend it. They end right after the flashback and really before the series takes off and thus it has a very dark ending. Plus they painted themselves into the metaphorical corner of the literary room by taking out Skull Knight.

But as far as content goes, it seemed to me to be much less explicit.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:38 pm

memmer66 wrote:Is the anime any better? Cause I know where to go to watch it but if the manga who so much of this in it what about the anime?

i haven't seen the anime before but i've heard and can probably predict that it's not as good as the manga because it stops early on in the series. why don't you check out the anime review.

uc pseudonym wrote:Then you're probably going to want to skip volume 13 as well. The sex scene in volume 9 didn't really phase me, but I'm not so jaded as to read through the rape in 13 without blinking.

thanks for the heads up. i have 3 volumes to go before then but i will keep this in mind. it is sorta unfortunate that much of the sexual content in berserk plays key roles in the plot even if it does add that piece of realism to the manga that only "Mature" rated mangas would probably be given.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:07 pm

A friend and I will be marathoning the entire anime over Christmas vacation, so I'll give ya'll a heads-up on it when I get back.

As far as the manga goes, I've noticed how much Miura's art has changed over 32 volumes. It's really crazy, I can't really think of any other manga with art quite as impressive as the current stuff in Berserk. And it's not just the art itself, but I've been really impressed with some of the composition.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/JoshuaStChristopher/v022c004p074-075.jpg
(here's a pretty neat two-page spread, linked for size.)

Also,
[spoiler] So rumour is Caska is going to regain her memory soon. Should be pretty cool if that happens. I've read some interesting predictions for the ending, one I happen to like being a theory that it may end up as a sort of reverse of the first Eclipse. Gutts would use his olive Behelit to call the Godhand, but instead of getting all killed by a bunch of demons, Gutts is going to kill them all himself. I like to think that, but it's probably a bit too easy.[/spoiler]
Joshua Christopher

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 pm

GrubbTheFragger wrote: Tom i wouldn't continue reading it I were you. Actually i think you should pray about it.

Thanks for watching out for me, Grub but I clearly made the decision to keep reading. It's between me and God and this manga clearly is not hindering my faith and the plot is worth it.

I suggest people only post in this section for discussing how many volumes are in the series, if the anime is superior to the manga or vice versa, or various plot twists (yes, in spoiler tags, please seeing how people like me are only at Volume 10 and a new plot twist would ruin it for me).

Please, no condemning in here. Only post if you are following the series. Thank You.
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Because people are reading at different points in the story, lets also label our spoilers. For example, if you post about something that happens that someone who hasn't read volume 13 yet wouldn't want to know, use [*spoiler=volume 13] for your tags. For posts assuming the reader has read everything to this point, I intend to use "recent chapters."

[spoiler=recent chapters]Actually, I'm looking forward to this bit with the elf king overall; I expect a general upgrade for the characters. Gutts has been fighting so many consecutive battles at his limits that it seems to me if he has time to heal and reflect on everything he'll be much stronger for it (as in many traditional rpgs).

Regarding the ending, I think that Gutts needs to develop significantly first (possibly becoming somewhat like whatever Skull Knight is). My main question about the ending is just how vulnerable the Godhand members are to death. If you stab their bodies will they die? Or are they beyond that type of thing? One of my random ideas is wondering if Gutts might become more than human himself... you know he'd be willing to do something radical like joining the Godhand and then trying to kill all of them.

Plus the Idea of Evil... do you think it will be confronted? Would it interfere with any events that took place? Is it even possible to fight something like that? Normally I'd say no, but I assume it wouldn't have been brought up unless it was going to be used significantly.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:yes, in spoiler tags, please seeing how people like me are only at Volume 10 and a new plot twist would ruin it for me.

wow. you said you were on volume 5 earlier and now you're on volume 10!! i don't have as much time to read the volumes because my computer is dial-up and i don't get to go to bookstores very often so you probably get what i'm saying...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:31 pm

jon_jinn wrote:wow. you said you were on volume 5 earlier and now you're on volume 10!! i don't have as much time to read the volumes because my computer is dial-up and i don't get to go to bookstores very often so you probably get what i'm saying...

And even if you did go to bookstores more often, it's rare to find a volume of Berserk that isn't still shrink-wrapped. Sooo, ya. Anywho, I've read up to vol.31 or 32 I think. it's too explicit for my standards to buy, but still it's one fantastic series. Gutts is possibly the most awesome manga character ever (or right up there at least)
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:And even if you did go to bookstores more often, it's rare to find a volume of Berserk that isn't still shrink-wrapped. Sooo, ya. Anywho, I've read up to vol.31 or 32 I think. it's too explicit for my standards to buy, but still it's one fantastic series. Gutts is possibly the most awesome manga character ever (or right up there at least)

yeah. my friend lives too far to give the manga to me in hand (on a CD) so he emails it to me and it takes forever to load so i only do that when i have time or when i go to my dad's work to use the dsl there. if there is the volume of berserk that i'm on at my bookstore, then i'd usually just read the back or (if it isn't shrink wrapped) i skim through it to see what's gonna happen and stuff...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby memmer66 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:25 pm

You have a dude who sends it to you? (Edited?)
memmer66

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:28 pm

memmer66 wrote:You have a dude who sends it to you? (Edited?)

yeah, i do. why?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby memmer66 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:45 pm

Envy is running through my veins. How do you get it?
memmer66

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:12 pm

memmer66 wrote:Envy is running through my veins. How do you get it?

well, it's basically edited but the violence isn't. my friend sends the manga to me by the volume after he's finished reading and editing it...

it would be best to continue this debate via PMs so we won't interrupt the main idea of this thread.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:18 pm

anyways, there's something i'm confused about. i'm about partway through volume eleven...

[spoiler]in volume 10 of berserk, there's a part in the manga that takes place while gutts, caska, pippen, judeau, and princess charlotte are trying to rescue griffith. it's back at the black hawk camp. that one little boy goes to get some water and he sees a "fairy" and then he goes back and there's that big freaky monster eating up all the soldiers of the black hawk right? and then he's about to be killed but the skull knight shows up and saves the boy. anyways, in volume 11, when gutts and the gang have just rescued griffith and got through the sewers alive. the king sends that army, that's led by that wierd animal faced dude, who's motto is, "entertainment and excitement". anyways, gutts and the gang are being chased, and then, the rest of the black hawks appear at the top of a hill and they start shooting arrows at the other army and then they charge down the hill right? i thought all the black hawks were killed by that monster in voume 10?[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:12 pm

the ones that are killed are the injured they left behind
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:the ones that are killed are the injured they left behind

so the rest of the uninjured were planning that ambush?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews