Berserk

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Oddly enough, I don't remember him. What else does he do? With an epic like Berserk I tend to only remember the most critical of facts or things that particularly catch my interest, like the Behelit.

[spoiler]it's the young boy that caska finds standing along the shore in the beach. he has really long hair and the group stayed in a small house while they were traveling along the beach. they were attacked by possessed alligators while they were staying and a couple of other big monsters...[/spoiler]
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby lordoftempest » Sat May 26, 2007 7:05 pm

memmer66 wrote:I want to read it but from the reviews this thing has A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of sexual content and nudity. I don't have a way to edit this out. Is it worth it?

ABSOLUTELY. Don't make such a big deal of the 'content'.
lordoftempest

Postby Tommy » Sat May 26, 2007 8:48 pm

Um, you should probably consider the position of memmer66's ability to handle certain images.

memmer66, I recommend you prayfully consider your approach to the series.
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Mon May 28, 2007 8:21 pm

a nice gravedig there, lordoftempest. but anyways, i suddenly feel the urge to get back into the series and continue where i left off...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:54 pm

jon_jinn wrote:a nice gravedig there, lordoftempest. but anyways, i suddenly feel the urge to get back into the series and continue where i left off...

Where did u stop?
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Tue May 29, 2007 8:39 pm

umm...around vol. 28 or so. i'm at the part where Gutts and his friends are in that town and they are starting to make contact with Griffith's group. kinda vague, though. sorry, i haven't read it in a while...if you check the earlier posts, you'll kinda get an idea of what i'm talking about.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed May 30, 2007 5:01 pm

U should pick it back up dude. It's awesome stuff
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Wed May 30, 2007 8:02 pm

yep, i know. i was on a pretty crazy reading spree for awhile (once again, see earlier posts), but i stopped. now, i'm hooked onto Blade of Immortal. I think that i will stop Blade of Immortal at volume 10 and pick up on Berserk again. the thing i hate about all these sudden halts, is that i have to try to remember what was happening when i left the series...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:12 am

This thread pertains to my current interests, so bumping.

Polished off volume 8 earlier today, this series is growing on me.

Would not want to live there though.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1242303) wrote:This thread pertains to my current interests, so bumping.

Polished off volume 8 earlier today, this series is growing on me.

ahh! you're currently wading your way through one of the, if not THE juiciest part of the series, Fish! enjoy it while you can! :thumb: i have yet to start back up with the series. i am waiting for more volumes to come out before i get into another reading spree.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Yuen Fei Lung » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Hey, I finished the Berserk anime awhile back but I have a question... what volume of the manga should I start on to continue the story from where the anime left off? I'd love to buy all the Berserk manga... but man, my budget is mega tight...
Yuen Fei Lung

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:34 pm

Yuen Fei Lung (post: 1242422) wrote:Hey, I finished the Berserk anime awhile back but I have a question... what volume of the manga should I start on to continue the story from where the anime left off? I'd love to buy all the Berserk manga... but man, my budget is mega tight...

i think the anime leaves off around volume 13 of the manga.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:45 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Polished off volume 8 earlier today, this series is growing on me.

Make sure to tell us what you think again once you get to the 13-15 range. Right after the flashback I think the story is really weak for a while, but it returns to proper form before long.

Yuen Fei Lung wrote:Hey, I finished the Berserk anime awhile back but I have a question... what volume of the manga should I start on to continue the story from where the anime left off? I'd love to buy all the Berserk manga... but man, my budget is mega tight...

If you started with 14 you wouldn't miss much... however, I would recommend at least browsing 13 in a bookstore. The anime takes out a major character (Skull Knight) who plays a big role in the conflict in that volume, so that would at least give you a sense for who he is. Also, the anime does not include content in volumes 2-3.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:40 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1242463) wrote:Make sure to tell us what you think again once you get to the 13-15 range. Right after the flashback I think the story is really weak for a while, but it returns to proper form before long.

It's sufficiently epic and compelling reading, though the mature content is difficult to swallow. A bit of it is reasonable for the gears of the plot and characterization, but some of the particularly gratuitous scenes make it hard to excuse. I certainly wouldn't want to sit down and explain it someone.
[spoiler]Volume 11, Nosferatu Zodd is my favorite character by singular virture of impaling Wyald.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:59 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1242463) wrote:The anime takes out a major character (Skull Knight) who plays a big role in the conflict in that volume, so that would at least give you a sense for who he is. Also, the anime does not include content in volumes 2-3.

ahh! that's right! Skull Knight comes to play a very prominent role in the series, later on. and the introduction of serpico and the rest of the company, later on, also adds nice flavor to the series.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 am

26 volumes in and I am enjoying this series tremendously, or much as the word “Enjoyable” can be applied to the Berserk universe.[Spoiler]Complaints first. The side quests annoy me, not necessarily because they are badly written or ill conceived because they’re neither of them, but because any time Guts is spending killing trolls or secretly not really elves is time he’s not spending advancing the plot. They feel like interlude/side pieces, and for that purpose tend to drag a bit. Still, they do bring something to the table, which is more than I can say for most “Filler” episodes. New characters and characterization, important concepts and general expansion of Miura's world on paper (fictional universe creation and fine-tuning is something I strongly approve of).

Character-wise I’m fond of Serpico, and strangely Schierke, despite my reservations against magic in most fiction (conveniently vague plot hole cement, usually). Griffith and Guts have this nasty habit of evolving as characters as the epic progresses, so I suspect I’ll have to shelf my thoughts about them till Berserk ends, which is probably in 2025~. The rest of the cast is fine for their various roles, though the Godhand doesn’t interest me all that much beyond being catalysts for the plot.

Also Azan needs to make a comeback. I kind of liked him.

There’s a lot of talk about Griffith being the Hawk of Darkness, and how his victory will inevitably consume the land in a new Dark Age. A couple people seem to think this will play along the classic corruption of king and country, Griffith’s ascent instantly and conveniently accompanied by dark shadows blotting out the sun and rain as the Earth withers due to ridiculously poor crop management. And of course, Griffith’s charismatic façade stripped away to reveal that he is actually the bad guy, whoop whoop. Though personally, I’d find it more effective if Griffith’s reign indirectly brings about the apocalypse. The Evil Holy War arc hinted that Griffith’s very presence in the world was what caused the Interstice to bleed into the Mortal realm; so reasonably, Griffith standing unopposed as the lord of all Creation should burst the dam and kill just about everybody as they gather around him as a savior figure still. The alternative is that all of Midland realizes his deception and Guts now has the entire nation on his side, and why should we cut the guy a break now? It’s much better if Guts has to stand against the innumerable forces of both humans and cosmic horrors to depose their benevolent leader and popularly conceived messiah.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:39 am

[quote="Fish and Chips (post: 1255610)"]26 volumes in and I am enjoying this series tremendously, or much as the word “Enjoyableâ€

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 pm

[spoiler]I agree with you about the side quests. The closest I ever came to giving up Berserk permanently wasn't the Eclipse or any of the other graphic content parts, but the fairy arc following. So many pages spent on something that isn't all that meaningful.

I like Scerpico and Schierke as well (though in the latter case I'm not tremendously fond of how the Berserk universe does magic). They're good characters that improve the depth of the story. Then there's Skull Knight, who doesn't, but is awesome enough to be forgiven.

One of the things that makes me continue to read Berserk is that I don't necessarily feel I can predict how it will progress. For the moment it seems there will be another major arc in the physical realm, but I hope it moves on to confronting the Idea of Evil directly - if Guts going from being a fish to something that can attack the moon is just a matter of killing things more, I will be disappointed. Really, I was somewhat disappointed when Griffith manifested himself in a physical, if clearly not normal, body. That aside, I'm interested in seeing how the story will be developed.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:22 pm

The Skull Knight is my favorite plot coupon who conveniently just happens to be alive, but I'm reserving favorite character status until he's fleshed out a bit.

Bad choice of words.[spoiler]I consider Griffith's rebirth a good move. The cradle of Berserk's plot is the relationship between Guts and Griffith, and it would be disappointingly simple if all Griffith was is an end boss. That and I doubt Griffith having a human vessel is seriously going to make him easier to kill. And now he has the entire world on his side. Well, except Emperor Ganishka.

Then again, since the Berserk universe runs on pure unleaded causality, maybe this is all as the Idea of Evil planned.[/spoiler]EDIT: Skull Knight's day planner

7:00 AM Wake up
8:00 AM Breakfast
8:30 AM Ride out
10:00 AM Pimp slap demigods
12:30 PM Break for lunch
Fish and Chips

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews