Is Fruits Basket Over?!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Is Fruits Basket Over?!

Postby Tommy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm not going to reveal how (unless through PM) but i recently hit Chapter 131 of Fruits Basket.

My question is:
Does the series end there or is there more?
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Sai » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:41 pm

I think it goes up to 136 chapters. 135 has just been released i think.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Sai is right. It has one more chapter to go.
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:23 am

Ah, thanks for your help guys.

Well, I'm just sorta surprized that series is going to be over so soon. Then again, that's in Japan, but still.
Tommy

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

and now for the hard part.... should I read it now or wait for the US releases? Furuba is a series I promised myself I'd read entirely from Tokyopop... but.... *struggle* They're taking so long!! HOPEFULLY they'll speed up the US releases once the series is over. Otherwise I won't be able to hold out.
Kawaiikneko

Postby soul alive » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:32 pm

I should certainly hope that TokyoPop will start releasing faster. Through volume 22 has completely come out in Japan, so there is not as much of a need to worry about catching up, since we'll just be getting 15 in December. *waggles pitchfork*

I was already a bad, impatient child and went after scanlations. I love the series, so I'll buy the published manga for sure, I just got fed up with the 4 month waits.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:35 pm

Wow looks like it's finally ending... I'm glad I didn't spoil TOO much for myself with spoilers off this site and stuff... well, I'm just glad that we know that it's a series that WILL have an ending, and not keep going another 40 volumes like SOME series... *cough* Yeah, I just have a thing with non-essentially long series that REALLY don't need to have a length as such :/
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:40 pm

I am the same as Soul Alive, (although currently I am still stuck at chapter 109 or so..)

the only volume I will probably not buy is volume 14... I didn't really like it as much. ^^;

but yeah, wow! I can't wait to read the ending (if I ever have time...)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby soul alive » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:19 pm

I've gotten all the way through 132, but it looks like it might be a while before 133+ start showing up. 127 was a killer to find, it took around a month of waiting/searching before it showed up, even though chapters after it were already out.

I can't wait for the end, either. I'm sad that it has to end, but glad as well; Furuba isn't a series that could have held up well through the insane number of volumes that some series go through.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:33 pm

NO!!!! WHY!!! My personal FAVORITE manga! Ending!!!!!! What manga magazine is it in and when can I import a copy with the last chapter? I'm sorry but I LOVE Furuba and this makes me very sad. :(
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby soul alive » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Fruits Basket runs in Hana to Yume in Japan, I'm not sure when the last chapter is releasing in the magazine. There was talk about whether the last chapter will be double length or if there will be another chapter that is published straight to tankouban, since a normal chapter added to the previous ones would not make up a full volume for the last volume.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:42 pm

We've just got the 20th volume of the manga books published through Madman here in NZ. Is the whole series going to be 24 volumes, do you know?

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the series finish - just because I don't want it to be a series that stretches on and on. I would also like to actually have a complete collection of a manga series. :grins:

Also, could I ask what tankouban is, Soul Alive? From what you've been saying and previous knowledge I've gathered that manga is published in chapters in the manga magazine anthologies like Shonen Jump etc... so I'm guessing Tankouban are the books where the chapters are collected?
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby soul alive » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Yup - as far as I can tell, tankouban is what we refer to as volume. Most series seem to release by chapter in magazines and then get published as a full tankouban once all the chapters in that book have been released. Some manga-ka's side notes that I've read mention changes that have occured between magazine and tankouban release. Hana to Yume seems to be a very popular shojo magazine in Japan.

I'm pretty sure there are either 23 or 24 volumes, I think it's 23.

You guys already have 20? *sigh* *pouty lip* I'm really hoping that TokyoPop steps the releases back up once 15 comes out in December.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Wow this is the one occasion I know of where Madman has been ahead for me... is the world broken or something?! ;)

Wow its almost finished then. Thanks for the info, SA!
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews