D.N.Angel?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

D.N.Angel?

Postby yukishiro128 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:10 pm

I've just recently gotten into the D.N.Angel anime, and I was thinking about buying the manga. The problem is, though, all the reviews I read have sort-of mixed feelings when it comes to the story. Anyone already have it?

http://www.busybeeband.com--Most awesome high school band ever. Check it out.

Hurry up and install your home security systems, 'cause Jesus is coming like a thief in the night.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]ACCHONBURIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE][/font] :wow!:

:angel:
yukishiro128

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:12 pm

I've read all of it that's available, and it's very cool. Read it.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:45 pm

I only have the first 3 volumes, and the only iffy thing so far, is that Daisuke and his rival guy (can't remember name at moment^^) are sometimes shown in "girly fanservice, borderline shounen-ai" ways. Like there is NOTHING between the characters, but in a few situations that happen, it COULD be seen that way, sort of. So yeah, actually not meaning to be wrong, just all depends on how ones views it, I guess?
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby rii namuras » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:29 pm

(Whoever wrote those reviews is dead wrong. While I enjoy the anime quite a bit, the manga faaaar surpasses it in terms of writing and art. Read it.)

(And I'm pretty sure Sugisaki-san herself has said that there's nothing between Satoshi and Daisuke, but it's just the twisted fangirls reading into it way too much. Plus that's far more prelevant in the anime than in the manga (it isn't even mentioned in the manga, but characters make jokes about it in the anime), so I don't think it'd be a problem.)
rii namuras

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:50 pm

DNAngel is one of my favorite manga. Highly recommended as a romance/fantasy story that's somehow even passable for males to read unashamedly. Only, there was an UNBEARABLY long time between volumes 10 & 11. Like, lots of fans thought the series was altogether dead. So once you get that far, you may find yourself waiting rather impatiently for the next installment.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:55 pm

SpoonyBard wrote:Only, there was an UNBEARABLY long time between volumes 10 & 11. Like, lots of fans thought the series was altogether dead. So once you get that far, you may find yourself waiting rather impatiently for the next installment.

I just looked it up, and apparently it's because the Japanese vol. 11 JUST came out last year, and since they still had to release the english of 10, it took longer for 11 to come out... but is that the final volume? Since apparently 11 was the last one to come out in Japan last August, and apparently no signs of a vol. 12... well, that I know of, that is^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby yukishiro128 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:41 pm

Yes, I was wondering about that whole shonen-ai business, and thanks for the heads-up on the wait. This manga is MINE!!......heh heh :sweat:

Thanks to everyone. :)

Hurry up and install your home security systems, 'cause Jesus is coming like a thief in the night.

yukishiro128

Postby ducheval » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:44 am

DNAngel is a really fantastic manga. Yes, there is LOTS of shounen-ai posing with Dark/Daisuke, as well as Daisuke/Satoshi. If you somehow have a problem with Shounen-ai, this manga is likely not for you. More open-minded, tolerant people will discover a wonderful manga with phenomenal artwork. I also highly recommend picking up the artbook, FEDER. It's among my very favorite artbooks ever, and belongs right next to my mamoru nagano and yoshitaka amano ones.
ducheval

Postby animegirl1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:29 pm

yukishiro128 wrote:I've just recently gotten into the D.N.Angel anime, and I was thinking about buying the manga. The problem is, though, all the reviews I read have sort-of mixed feelings when it comes to the story. Anyone already have it?

ive read them! ^^
its an amazingly great series soo far! no joke!
haha soo i think it would be a really good investment ^^
The Letter from God Dear child, Despite your silence, I have heard your soul weeping. Why have you been so unhappy? Have you forgotten my everlasting love for you? Child, you are mine. Why have you not called my name sooner? If you seek me, I will answer. I am your counselor, ready to instruct you and show you which path to take. When you come to me, I will embrace you and silence all your fears. Just remember that I am here to hold you close and dry your tears. I will always be right beside you. Not only am I your father, but your best friend. Do not be afraid to ask for my mercy and forgiveness. I know that its hard to live on earth, so I understand when you fall down once in awhile, ask me for help, and I will pick you up and carry you. No one loves you more than I do. When you feel alone, remember I am beside you. When you feel helpless, remember I offer myself to you. When you feel lost, remember I will lead you, and when you feel forgotten, remember that you are my child and I will love you unconditionally. It is never too late to come home. I will be here waiting, ready to embrace you. I will leave the light on for you. Forever with you, God

-------------------------------------------------------

i have proudly adopted:dytae jessie88 and edochick ^_^

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
animegirl1

Postby rii namuras » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:31 am

(Ducheval, Sugisaki-san herself has said that this isn't a shounen-ai manga, and that she never intended for any shounen-ai pairings - it's just the fan's twisted minds. )
rii namuras

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:08 pm

I don't know, there seems to be some vague shounen-ai insinuation in the "Ice and Snow" arc, what with Daisuke having to play the lead female role in the school play and Satoshi playing the lead male role. But you just sort of pick up on it a little, raise your eyebrow and chuckle.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:17 pm

I think, especially in light of the mangaka's remarks, that Daisuke having to play the female lead is done mainly for comedic purposes at Daisuke's expense. At any rate, there is NO shounen-ai whatsoever in DNAngel. At all. Yaoi fangirls who take things way out of context for their little fantasies really irritate me. Especially ridiculous pairings like L and Light [from Death Note]. : : twitchshudder : :

End of rant.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby rii namuras » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:13 am

(I agree with Rai-sama. That was just a comedy thing - you'll notice that the entire thing was done greek-style (e.g. all guy cast, and then the girls in the class did other random stuff pertaining to the play). I think they mostly chose Daisuke, because, in all of the class, he's the only guy that could pass for a cute girl. And with all the Satoshi fangirls in the class (or in the school, for that matter O_o), it's no suprise that they'd pick him to play Dark.)

(Bottom line is, shounen-ai isn't intended in the manga, but there are joking comments made in the anime, so at the very least its worse in the anime than in the manga.)
rii namuras

Postby yukishiro128 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:32 pm

K, I understand. Just telling you guys that it worked, and I have vol.s 1&2!! Veeery good manga. I absolutely adore the artwork!!

Thanks everyone--the shonen-ai controversy is all cleared up! :)

yukishiro128

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews