favorite sports manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

favorite sports manga

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:44 pm

yep. this is a thread like many others. simply post your favorite(s) sports manga. here are mine:
(in order of most favorite to favorite)

1. eyeshield 21
2. hajime no ippo
3. slam dunk
4. TIE between prince of tennis and whistle
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Kazuya » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm

1: Prince of Tennis
2: Hajime no Ippo (just started)

Thats it right now. The only other manga that I am reading is +Anima.
Kazuya

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm

I would have to say Princess Nine as I have watched very little sports anime. However, I have most of Fighting Spirit ordered and I have heard it's very good.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:38 pm

I have only read one sports manga. Which is Whistle, which came in a Shonen Jump compilation. I do want to read Eyeshield 21, since it is a football manga (they have football in Japan??) and that's my favorite sport. I'll probably start it once I finish Kenshin, which I only have 3 books left of.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:03 pm

WrestlingOtaku wrote:I have only read one sports manga. Which is Whistle, which came in a Shonen Jump compilation. I do want to read Eyeshield 21, since it is a football manga (they have football in Japan??) and that's my favorite sport. I'll probably start it once I finish Kenshin, which I only have 3 books left of.

yeah. good choice in picking to read eyeshield after you finish kenshin. eyeshield's the BOMB!!!

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ducheval » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Definitely Touch. If not touch, then I'll. If not I'll, then Katsu.

Eyeshield, Hajime no Ippo, and whistle don't hold a candle to those three. It's seriously night and day. Sad, because they're quite obscure in the US still.

I should note, Touch is also one of the best selling manga of all time. Over 100,000,000 tankouban at this point.
ducheval

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:51 pm

ducheval wrote:Definitely Touch. If not touch, then I'll. If not I'll, then Katsu.

Eyeshield, Hajime no Ippo, and whistle don't hold a candle to those three. It's seriously night and day. Sad, because they're quite obscure in the US still.

I should note, Touch is also one of the best selling manga of all time. Over 100,000,000 tankouban at this point.

i've heard of touch. it's a baseball manga right? i was thinking of trying it but i'm not a big fan of baseball. i've heard of i'll too but i thought that's only manga. i've never heard of katsu.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:08 am

I'm not big on sports, but I started Eyeshield 21 for the Hiruma Yoichi factor. <3 I glanced through some of Touch when I was in Japan, but my Japanese wasn't good enough then for me to get much out of it... I'd kind of also like to read Slam Dunk some day.
Aka-chan

Postby Debitt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:53 am

>:D Prince of Tennis for the win. <3 Only sports manga thus far that has managed to catch my interest.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby ducheval » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Yes, Touch is a baseball manga. I'll is basketball, and Katsu is boxing. If you end up liking Touch, try out H2 or Cross Game. Both are pretty good baseball mangas as well.
ducheval

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:07 am

Prince of Tennis is my favorite sports manga.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:18 pm

wow, this is a pretty old thread but oh well. anyways, i have read several volumes of touch and i must say that i am REALLY impressed. touch is good stuff man. XD

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:45 pm

what about Crimson Hero? and as a particular stretch...Hikaru No Go? :P
Psycho Molos

Postby Mave » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:04 am

I grew up reading Slam Dunk so it holds dear in my heart. Totally prize the gorilla/fox references and the crazy things Hanamichi did.
Mave

Postby Nami » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:46 am

Hmm, I haven't read it yet, but I REALLY wanna read Prince of Tennis and Slam Dunk. I did manage to read the first volume of Whistle. Excellent Manga there. *wants more*
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby rurouninaruto » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:15 am

I've never read any sports manga, nor am I that intersted in reading a sports series, I have been considering starting Eyesheild 21. The artwork looks pretty good, and characters look interesting as well.^^
rurouninaruto

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 pm

rurouninaruto wrote:I've never read any sports manga, nor am I that intersted in reading a sports series, I have been considering starting Eyesheild 21. The artwork looks pretty good, and characters look interesting as well.^^

yes. i totally recommend eyeshield 21 to you. it's my favorite sports manga. however, i know people who do not particularly enjoy this series. i guess eyeshield 21 only appeals to a certain group of people. it's the type of manga that people believe to be either good or bad. never okay.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:26 pm

Whistle is an excellent sports manga. it's very clean and stresses some very good morals. the characters are realistic and likable. they're also relatable. the story is pretty decent but it's really cool to see the characters improve and develope through the story.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews