does this bother anybody else?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby rii namuras » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:19 am

Raiden no Kishi wrote:K . . . Kamatari . . . eghhh . . . : : twitchspasm : :

That's all I has to say about that.

.rai//

(Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.)
rii namuras

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:27 pm

[quote="mai"]I'm really sorry if this sounds rude, but, last time I checked, it wasn't your face that determined your gender -_-]

Perhaps, but other ways are often quite inappropriate.

It's interesting that in places the Bible hasn't been preached that you see more gender blur
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Debitt » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:42 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Perhaps, but other ways are often quite inappropriate.

It's interesting that in places the Bible hasn't been preached that you see more gender blur

>.> Have you been to Europe?

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:46 pm

No... <.<

Well, even here in the US the blur is getting bigger... But that's not my point (don't wanna start anything)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mai » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:01 pm

All I meant was that I know guys who were born with more "feminine" facial features.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby ducheval » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:33 pm

This is something I don't get at all o__O

What's there to have a problem with? A guy looks like a girl. So what? Does that make him somehow a horrible person that you would 'have a problem' with? Does his appearance in some way detract from him?
ducheval

Postby mai » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:38 pm

ducheval wrote:This is something I don't get at all o__O

What's there to have a problem with? A guy looks like a girl. So what? Does that make him somehow a horrible person that you would 'have a problem' with? Does his appearance in some way detract from him?

That’s what I'm wondering. It bothers me if a guy purposely looks like a girl for sexual reasons, but if he just naturally looks/acts "girly" he is still very much a man and there is nothing wrong with that. If a manga-ka draws characters like that it's just personal taste. The main point to me is intent, if the author says it’s a guy or a girl then that’s what matters.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Reba » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:39 pm

carneman wrote:when the guys, even in shonen manga, look like girls? why do they do that?

It dosent bother me at all o.o...Because i know they are boys and its just the drawer's fault it will only bother me if they are Gay. Because i will refuse to read any Yoai Comic.

[SIZE="1"]A blue, black shade of love.

Sent from above.

[align=center]My hands are tied to worlds
alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
And just like clouds, my skin crawls.
It's so divine, the sky it glows with fields of light.
Did you know that I love you?
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
And all this day, I will love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Until the end of time.[/SIZE][/align]
Reba

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:44 pm

ducheval wrote:This is something I don't get at all o__O

I think something that we need to remeber here is that we're talking about fake people...these characters don't actually exist. If the appearance of a character did detract from the character himself, *coughcoughKamataricough* then the reader is free to think and/or say whatever he or she wants to about the character. It's not a real person]were[/i] a real person who felt hurt or angered by comments like these, but...it's not...so I really don't think it should be such a big issue...^_^;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:50 am

The game: Chrono Trigger.

The character: Flea.

'Nuff said. =p
Myoti

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Not at all. Some of the characters can be fairly shallow or waay over-rated (the Sesshamarou dude is a perfect example) but it's just a character.

Haha, I may be twisted but Kamatari from Kenshin was one of my more favorite Kenshin characters (aside from Yumi, Shishio, Sanosuke, Tomoe, and Gein).
Hitokiri

Postby εïз*Pixie*εÃ¯з » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:06 pm

I think it's mainly fan-service, and in some cases comic relief? (Like Kazuki from Get Backers :P )
"You can dance,
for inspiration..."
Into the Groove - Madonna

:angel: :dance: :angel:
εïз*Pixie*εïз

Postby Chii » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:16 pm

I'm not sure, but we girls need more manly lookin' characters!
Whatever the sentiment, Whatever the expression
The most beautiful thing in the world is love
Chii

Postby shojoiscool2 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:07 pm

It bothered me at first, but after awhile I got used to it. That's just there culture, but I do stay away from manga with predominently homosexual themese, but I think the Japanese are just more accepting of that.
shojoiscool2

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Eh...that's a good question...I guess it really depends on the manga. For example, if the character is gay and looks feminine, I would say so myself...but if the character is feminine because of the artist's style, then no.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Mave » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:31 pm

Chii wrote:I'm not sure, but we girls need more manly lookin' characters!

There's something called American comics. The last time I checked, most male characters there look pretty manly. ;)
Mave

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:35 pm

Nah, I don't care. XD

I'm one of the guilty ones who thinks it's cute.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Rhenao » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:08 am

It doesn't bother me most of the time, unless it's to the point to where it actually confuses me or it's because the character is homo- or bisexual.

Manliness should really be defined by what it is, not by what it is not. I think that it's kind of dumb when guys are considered less of men because they have some effeminate traits. For example, my sister happens to think that Scottish kilts are "just wrong" because skirts are culturally assigned to women. I'd rather use the Bible as a guide to right and wrong rather than what's popular now.
Rhenao

Postby memmer66 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:49 pm

carneman wrote:when the guys, even in shonen manga, look like girls? why do they do that?

They want them all to look like hermaphrodites? I dunno? :grin:
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:19 am

Chii wrote:I'm not sure, but we girls need more manly lookin' characters!

You have seemed to have forgotten the most manliness character in any series! This epitome of manly muscle leaves every other male character in the dust with his enmormous pecks, cutting edge hair style, and a awesome personality to boot!

I present to you, the Epitome of Manly Muscle, the Man Above Other Men, the King of the Flex
ALEX LOUIS ARMSTRONG.
Hitokiri

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:35 am

*cringe*

personally, I'm one who finds that buff guys are gross. Bleh. >.<

but i do love:
A. Nerdy boys
B. Cute girlier boys.

yoop.

notice those guys have no muscles what-so-ever. XD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:34 pm

Heh, in the real world, you'd hope they'd never need to protect you, but in manga, they're so strong XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Riyo-Chan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:35 pm

for example...Fruits Basket's Yuki Sohma :P incredibly slender but can send ppl flying......and looks kinda like a girl. The guys in the manga have told him if he was a girl they "wouldn't leave him alone"
Rebirthing now, i wanna live for love wanna live for you and me. Breathe for the first time now. I come alive somehow.

My Site .:Alone In A Dream:.
Riyo-Chan

Postby Rhenao » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:42 pm

chibiphonebooth wrote:*cringe*

personally, I'm one who finds that buff guys are gross. Bleh. >.<

but i do love:
A. Nerdy boys
B. Cute girlier boys.

yoop.

notice those guys have no muscles what-so-ever. XD

I agree 100% with this post. :lol:
Rhenao

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:53 pm

i find it quite unusual that many male characters look so feminine. it sorta annoys me since i've mistaken many male characters to be female and then when i find out that i was wrong.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby JayF » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:11 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i find it quite unusual that many male characters look so feminine. it sorta annoys me since i've mistaken many male characters to be female and then when i find out that i was wrong.

Then there are the trap-chans like Jun from Happiness and Mizuho from Otome Wa Boku Koi Shiteru.

How did they look more pretty then the real girls.
JayF

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:35 am

It's very much a cultural thing. Japanese girls tend to dig girly-looking guys.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:44 am

It bothers me greatly. I lose lots of sleep over it. (lol)
But seriously - I find bishies to be overly feminine. This is degrading to males. I'm not saying guys need to be the macho sort, but the guy is meant to be the leader, the warrior, and respect everyone and get respect in return.
Bishies are wrong on so many levels.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:44 am

And all stereotypes are OK, regardless of wether they're true or not.

;)

From the little manga I've read, there *are* a few out there with "manly girls." In fact, I'm trying to think of a Takahashi manga/anime that doesn't have at least one manly girl...
Mithrandir

Postby Doe Johnson » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:11 am

Hey, there are some manly looking women out there in manga/anime. Anybody remember VT from Cowboy Bebop?
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews