does this bother anybody else?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

does this bother anybody else?

Postby carneman » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:10 pm

when the guys, even in shonen manga, look like girls? why do they do that?
Jesus gives you wiiings!
:angel:
I find your lack of faith disturbing... -Darth Vader, Star Wars A New Hope
^_^x Who loves Rurouni Kenshin?
(O-O) <-----glasses pride
carneman

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:45 pm

It doesn't bother me as much anymore...But like Sai from Hikaru no Go- it took me awhile before i figured that he's a he. I don't think there's much behind it- jsut the purpose of having a different kind of character/ varitety of characters. But sai isn't wearing girl's clothes... For me, I'm cool with it just as long as he isn't gay or something.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:04 pm

Some girls tend to think a guy that looks a bit like girls are cute.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:10 pm

>>;
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Bishounen are supposed to be handsome and pretty... I don't know why....^^; I think they ar emore popular in the Shojo mangas than in the shonen . (though I think Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin is an exception, but they say that the man kenshin was based off of was actually quite effeminate in his looks)

I dunno... I myself don't mind the pretty boy look..some guys do look that, and aren't gay or anything..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby TrigunX89 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:45 pm

I may or may not be bothered by it, depending to what extent it is. Sai was a hard one to figure out, (as Shao-Feng Li said) but it doesn't bother me. On the other hand, I never could figure out Haku from Naruto. And some of the characters I've seen on those shoujo mangas have disturbed me a bit.

Much more than manga characters, though, I am disturbed by real men that choose to look like women. You J-rock fans should know what I'm talking about.
TrigunX89

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Yeah, there's looking a bit girly, then there's crossdressing...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:50 pm

Let's not bring J-rockers into this. That subject has been the spawn of many, many flames in the J-rock pictures thread, and it's just tiring.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Eh, it's never really bothered me. I mean, unless they're crossdressing or something (for more than comedy's sake, like a guy that doesn't want to be wearing girl's clothes), then I don't have a problem with it, and it certainly isn't going to ruin a series for me. Like CR-chan said, Kenshin *kinda* looks like a girl, but he's one of my favorite bishies. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby oro! » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:51 pm

I don't like those guys, because it just makes me confused when I read a manga. I rather like clear distinctions, myself.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:10 pm

I used to get weirded out, mostly just because it annoyed me not to be able to tell right off. But I've been into anime/manga for so long now that I can tell pretty easily, and I actually prefer "pretty" guys. It grows on you. Well, you're a guy, so it might not, but, anyway...
Aka-chan

Postby carneman » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:22 pm

the only one that ever really bothered me was the guy from ruroken that had the shadow instuments
Jesus gives you wiiings!
:angel:
I find your lack of faith disturbing... -Darth Vader, Star Wars A New Hope
^_^x Who loves Rurouni Kenshin?
(O-O) <-----glasses pride
carneman

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:24 pm

carneman wrote:the only one that ever really bothered me was the guy from ruroken that had the shadow instuments

Oh, that guy? Well, he was weird, but so were the rest of the Six Comrades. They were supposed to be crazed weirdos who were obsessed with revenge, so it didn't really bother me that he was a total creep. XD But he did have a kinda cool character and weapon design, even so. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Debitt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:53 pm

No, it doesn't really bother me. :) I've always been rather good at telling the difference, anyways.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Well it's gotten to the point that a lot of people think that Integra from Hellsing is a guy...erm.

It's never bothered me much, though. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when all the male characters look exactly alike but with different hair.
Maledicte

Postby KBMaster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:56 am

It only bothers me when I think a guy is a girl and I can't tell the difference. After I get over my initial shock of the character being male, I get annoyed. Men should look like men, and girls should look like girls. Making a guy pretty is okay, but please make him look SOMEWHAT masculine.
KBMaster

Postby Mave » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:36 am

Kenshin (RK) does not bother me at all.
Sai (HnGo) hardly bothered me.
Haku (Naruto) almost bothered me.
Lance (Robotech) slightly bothered me.
Nuriko (Fushigi Y) bothered me.
Kamatari (RK) moderately bothered me.
Shuichi (Gravitation) greatly bothered me.

To be fair, I'd like to think that their actions, lifestyles and personal values play a huge role on whether I feel comfortable with them or not.
Mave

Postby Myoti » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:44 am

Having numerous characters that look like it in one series can be annoying (coughNarutocough), though every now and then, if I can tell it's a guy, it's not as bad.

One funny comment having to do with this:
[SPOILER]There's a wierd-looking character in One Piece named Wanze. During his fight with Sanji, Wanze's face gets kicked in, and when he looks at it, he's suddenly turned into a bishie (but he thinks he's ugly now, despite the fact he was already ugly XD )![/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:12 am

some characters are just like that and it doesn't really bother me. one character that i actually thought was a girl for a VERY long time was haku. but then again, it could be that the artist simply draws his/her characters like that.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:10 pm

Mave wrote:Nuriko (Fushigi Y) bothered me.

I just wanted to say, I can understand why it bothered you. However, given Nakago's backstory (which isn't appropriate to discuss here), it is understandable why he was drawn to look feminine.

Anyway, to actually answer the question, it doesn't bother me at all, unless they are purposely trying to look like a woman. Then it bugs me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tommy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:18 pm

Funny. For guys it's backwards. We all dislike girls who look like guys, appearence-wise. ;)

Seriously, Yuki took me awhile.
Tommy

Postby oro! » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:04 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:It's never bothered me much, though. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when all the male characters look exactly alike but with different hair.

Like perhaps in Yuu Watase's work? The only manga I have of hers is Imadoki, and then I see the exact male character advertised in another one of her works. First I think "Kugyou Koki! Yay!" Then it turns into "Freak! Why must they do this to him?"

It's like she has no original design...It is beautiful, just agitating
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:18 pm

The bishies-all-look-the-same curse. I think Tanemura often has the same problem...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mai » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm really sorry if this sounds rude, but, last time I checked, it wasn't your face that determined your gender -_-;
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:26 pm

[quote="mai"]I'm really sorry if this sounds rude, but, last time I checked, it wasn't your face that determined your gender -_-]

I think that...maybe you're taking this a little too seriously...This thread isn't bashing the bishies that look feminine, it's simply stating, "Hey...that guy looks like a girl! Did anyone else notice that, or have a problem with it?" XD; Besides, imagine if you were a guy. You'd look at this picture of a guy that looked like a girl (thinking it was a girl) and say, "Hey, she's cute!" When you found out that girl was actually a guy...wouldn't you be a little disturbed? XD Same thing goes for girls, though I don't think there's as many masculine-looking girls in anime as there are feminine-looking guys. XD It's the same in real life, though. We're practically programmed to look at a person and say that he or she looks like a member of his or her own gender, but when we find it's the opposite of what we thought at first, sure, it can be a little weird. Just a thought to ponder, though. :lol:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Debitt » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:30 pm

I think feminine men have a stigmata here, but to be honest, it's not that big a deal in Asian countries. Go to Japan, every other guy there will dress in a fashion that's considered "metro" in the US, have longish, well-kempt hair, etc. It's partially a cultural thing.

And I'm also frustrated when characters are all indistinguishable. D: I gave up on Yuu Watase's manga because of it. "HEY! That looks like Tamahome! But...it's...not. D:"

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm

Mave wrote:Kamatari (RK) moderately bothered me.

K . . . Kamatari . . . eghhh . . . : : twitchspasm : :

That's all I has to say about that.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Seppuku » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:19 am

^ - ^ i dont mind at all. in fact i like the girly bishies wether they just look a little girly or they dress like it, dont bother me none ^^;

[url=myspace.com/seppukuasylum]myspace.com/seppukuasylum[/url]

"Theres no such thing as trolls!"
Then how do you explain the dead unicorns?
Seppuku

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 am

What about the really manly women?
Joshua Christopher

Postby Authority3000 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:15 am

Joshua Christopher wrote:What about the really manly women?
They make considerably rarer appearances (in Japanese art and animation) then feminine men, so probably don't seem worth worrying about to most [people].

Although, contrarily, I seem to remember a certain anime title not to long back that consisted mostly (character wise) of feminine men and muscular women.

Perhaps I merely got the character's genders mixed around, though. :P
Authority3000

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews