Serenity (a christian manga?)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:37 am

Welcome to the forums, Sweet Mercury. More people with intelligent opinions are always welcome. I find it interesting that of the non-Christians I have spoken to about this graphic novel, almost all are more positive than I am regarding it. Likely this reflects more upon me than upon any of the beliefs involved.

Sweet Mercury wrote:(Another, more ridiculous example...)

I see this link a lot...

That aside, I definitely agree with you: this stereotyping helps nothing. Actually having an asterisked note with Ms. Baxter struck me as completely over the top.

Sweet Mercury wrote:Apparently, there is a limit to post length,

10,000 characters, for future reference.

Sweet Mercury wrote:Brightly Colored Sugar Junk.

The minor details in this manga are better than many. My favorite is probably the fact that Serenity has a CD entitled "Fat, Ugly, and Stoopid." The mispelling isn't really funny, but the thought of this as a title strikes me humorously.

Sweet Mercury wrote:As for divorce, I don’t know if anyone disagrees with this, but the sudden dissolution of the nuclear family is harmful to all involved, but especially to children.

I don't think anyone has very stable grounds to disagree with this. While I can speak only for myself, I will say that my objection is to the presentation (or perhaps even the necesity) of this aspect, not its validity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sweet Mercury » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:00 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Welcome to the forums, Sweet Mercury. More people with intelligent opinions are always welcome. I find it interesting that of the non-Christians I have spoken to about this graphic novel, almost all are more positive than I am regarding it. Likely this reflects more upon me than upon any of the beliefs involved.

Hmm, that may very well be your fandom talking instead of your philosophy/religious beliefs. I take it that you have been watching anime and/or reading manga for quite some time, so I can see how something like this would simply not measure up. But as I said, this would be the first "manga" I've ever bought, so I had no frame of reference in that respect and was therefore able to simply look at the story and message. And, as far as that goes, this was probably the first Christian literature of this nature that I was impressed with. The idea of showing someone the benefits of a religion, isn't a simple one. The fact that the artists are willing to show the Christians here in a realistic light was enough to impress me deeply. By showing the characters like Derek or Kimberly struggling with some of the more difficult implications of their faith shows a sense of realism that I never see in this type of work.

uc pseudonym wrote:I see this link a lot...

That aside, I definitely agree with you: this stereotyping helps nothing. Actually having an asterisked note with Ms. Baxter struck me as completely over the top.

True, this fact that the character was so over the top is why I discussed the possibility of her simply being a satire, a joke that most readers would be in on. That's a question I would ask you, is this a common view taken by the Christian youth community? Or do you expect people to get the joke?

Regardless of whether or not Ms. Baxter is a joke or a poorly painted character, I can say that I have met a few people with her mindset. I can also say that I don't particularly like people with that mindset, so I honestly don't mind when they are lampooned. I suppose I should think it merely ironic when the "persecuted" lash out and become the persecutioners, but historically it's just sad... However, I explained above some of the dangers of having such a charecter in the story, so I'll leave it at that.

uc pseudonym wrote:The minor details in this manga are better than many. My favorite is probably the fact that Serenity has a CD entitled "Fat, Ugly, and Stoopid." The mispelling isn't really funny, but the thought of this as a title strikes me humorously.

Yes, I've noticed a few more since then. The "Fat, Ugly, and Stoopid" CD eluded me the first run through as well. A few other interesting details were the "Angry Dead" poster, written clearly in the style of Metallica's logo (They had better be careful, if Metallica is known for anything these days, it's their virulent copyright protection... ]Mere Christianity[/i]. I think a lot of Lewis' views on Christianity show through to the writing of the story; meaning, his opening metaphysic of the Law Of Human Nature, and how we all seem to understand a standard of behavior, yet can't quite live up to it.

uc pseudonym wrote:I don't think anyone has very stable grounds to disagree with this. While I can speak only for myself, I will say that my objection is to the presentation (or perhaps even the necesity) of this aspect, not its validity.

Well, I'm not sure if it's necessary for the overall theme and goal of the story, those of "insipration" and "compassion," but it does serve well to further establish character. And, I think Serenity does represent the typical result of a broken home: self-loathing, sexual promescuity, drug use, desperation for attention of any kind... Plus, the outright denial that it has any effect on her shows exactly the type of personality she is, or at least tries to be.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:59 am

I can accept that regarding the divorce issue. Ultimately, however, I don't think it is worthy of much future discussion.

Sweet Mercury wrote:Hmm, that may very well be your fandom talking instead of your philosophy/religious beliefs.
That's a valid thought I hadn't considered. However, I was refering solely to the philisophical beliefs behind the series, not its status as a manga. I am more or less on the opposite side of the continuum from the manga elitist.

Sweet Mercury wrote:True, this fact that the character was so over the top is why I discussed the possibility of her simply being a satire, a joke that most readers would be in on. That's a question I would ask you, is this a common view taken by the Christian youth community? Or do you expect people to get the joke?

Sadly, my belief after a period of speculation (because I questioned the intent for similar reasons as yourself) is that the presentation of Ms. Baxter is not intended to be satirical. This is a stereotype frequently seen in some parts of the Christian community, but I think the manga is buying into it, not critiquing it.

Sweet Mercury wrote:and a poster for a group called "The Gerunding."

Ah, I had forgotten about that one! It is probably actually my favorite.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sweet Mercury » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:16 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I can accept that regarding the divorce issue. Ultimately, however, I don't think it is worthy of much future discussion.
Agreed.

That's a valid thought I hadn't considered. However, I was refering solely to the philisophical beliefs behind the series, not its status as a manga. I am more or less on the opposite side of the continuum from the manga elitist.

That's good to hear. Art elitism is usually the worst and most misguided kind. I think that the non-Christians might be giving it a better review than yourself because from our point of view it's refreshing (despite the flaws I discussed). As people outside the community, quite often we are only exposed to either offensive sensationalist literature or, on the other side of the spectrum, writing that is laughably corny and unrealistic. To see something, as a whole, that is neither of those is commendable.

Sadly, my belief after a period of speculation (because I questioned the intent for similar reasons as yourself) is that the presentation of Ms. Baxter is not intended to be satirical. This is a stereotype frequently seen in some parts of the Christian community, but I think the manga is buying into it, not critiquing it.

Hmmmm, if that's the case, then it's definitely belongs in my "cons" list. It's unfortunate that there are, in fact, a few loadmouths who act in the manner of Ms. Baxter, because it only fosters stereotyping such as this. Hopefully, this won't be a major factor in the remaining books of the series. The authers would do well to keep focusing on the philosophy/theology and the intereaction and development of the main characters.

Ah, I had forgotten about that one! It is probably actually my favorite.

Yeah, I didn't see it the first time around, and when I cought it flipping through, I wondered if anyone was going to get the joke. I definitely got a chuckle out of it, though!
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:16 am

Sweet Mercury wrote:That's good to hear. Art elitism is usually the worst and most misguided kind. I think that the non-Christians might be giving it a better review than yourself because from our point of view it's refreshing (despite the flaws I discussed). As people outside the community, quite often we are only exposed to either offensive sensationalist literature or, on the other side of the spectrum, writing that is laughably corny and unrealistic. To see something, as a whole, that is neither of those is commendable.

That is an interesting perspective, and I can understand how material found refreshing would be viewed positively. Given that I am on the inside of Christian industries, I have been exposed to enough corny and offensive material that I am relatively cynical on the subject as a whole.

Sweet Mercury wrote:Hmmmm, if that's the case, then it's definitely belongs in my "cons" list. It's unfortunate that there are, in fact, a few loadmouths who act in the manner of Ms. Baxter, because it only fosters stereotyping such as this.

Unfortunately, almost all stereotypes have certain grains of truth. This is what makes them survive so long, despite the fact that they apply only to a very limited number of people.

Sweet Mercury wrote:The authers would do well to keep focusing on the philosophy/theology and the intereaction and development of the main characters.

Quite so. I'll admit I'm vaguely interested how they are going to develop certain aspects of the story. We can more or less assume that Serenity will become Christian, but I'd be disappointed if that happened at the end of the series. If they showed how becoming Christian doesn't instantly solve all her problems and how her life continues I would be somewhat impressed.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sweet Mercury » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:25 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That is an interesting perspective, and I can understand how material found refreshing would be viewed positively. Given that I am on the inside of Christian industries, I have been exposed to enough corny and offensive material that I am relatively cynical on the subject as a whole.

Ah, that must be tough. When I was more involved with music and out playing shows with my band, I felt the same way. The problem with most art forms is that, for the fans, there is a subtle and rather fuzzy line between snobbish elitism and discernment. At the risk of sounding somewhat elitist myself, I usually find that 90% of all art is either commercially produced fluff, or meritless and talentless. If the fans of any particular art form were more discerning, and demanded higher quality products, the industry would respond.

Either way, sorry to hear that something you enjoy has gotten a bit sour. When that happened to me, I took a well needed break. It really helped to put things into perspective.

uc pseudonym wrote:Unfortunately, almost all stereotypes have certain grains of truth. This is what makes them survive so long, despite the fact that they apply only to a very limited number of people.

Definitely. I just wish that outside observers could better understand the differences between prototypes, archetypes, and stereotypes]Quite so. I'll admit I'm vaguely interested how they are going to develop certain aspects of the story. We can more or less assume that Serenity will become Christian, but I'd be disappointed if that happened at the end of the series. If they showed how becoming Christian doesn't instantly solve all her problems and how her life continues I would be somewhat impressed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that concept, actually. I had somewhat expected her to have a moment of inspiration near the very end of the story. However, even if that is the case, the authors have said, on the homepage I believe, that they plan to continue the character of Serenity beyond this first 6 volume series, so there is the chance of further development. It would be a very interesting, and from my perspective original, take on the subject of religious conversion. And, if you don't mind my saying so, very Taoist in its approach—meaning, finding the actual path to salvation/happiness is just as important a goal as salvation/happiness is itself.
Sweet Mercury

Postby Midou » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:04 pm

uc pseudonym wrote: I find it interesting that of the non-Christians I have spoken to about this graphic novel, almost all are more positive than I am regarding it. Likely this reflects more upon me than upon any of the beliefs involved.

I hate to say it, but there are alot of non-christians who have taken a more negative view of this manga. However these people have voiced their opinions...Less then maturely, For example the popularity of serenity bashing and other satire/parody of serenity on the popular messageboard/bbs ****.org is an example of this. Rest assured this is not me, I am similar to a previous non-christian poster on this threads, sweetmercury, however I go a bit further in depth.

[quote="Sweet Mercury"]
Ms. Baxter[...]. I've seen the representation a lot]

This was one of the main issues that jumped out at me, and made me persue this manga from a more deeply analytical sense. Just to touch on where it went wrong, 23-24, she is being portrayed as a typical feminist in the manga, when howeverl, transposed into real life, she is far from it, she is a hardline feminist. I will not touch on this issue further as I feel that Sweet Mercury has touched on it enough. I will however touch on further issues.

On Divorce
I feel 1.39(divorce leads to bad things) and 2.56 "Remember she lacks your good moral upbringing" are related. Although nowhere is their a direct link made toward them, I feel that there is allusion made between the two however, and that in this effect, there is a statement made that those who come from divorced, or even non christian families are "Immoral". This is grossly xenobhobic and intolerant.

On Seperation of church and state
2.37-40
I find, troubling in two ways, the representation here of seperation of church and state being some "Evil thing" that keeps christians opressed and restricts their order of free speech. I find this troublesome in that it is a sterotpypical idea(again), and In its properties of acting as propoganda for the "unification of churst and state". Seperating church and state is a good thing, As having been able to look in from the outside of arguable the most christian dominated country, the united states, as a neighbour I have seen all to well what goes wrong when religion and state/politics intertwine. I also do not know where this book get's off portraying a teacher as not having the ability to talk with a student one on one about a religious issue outside of class. As far as I am concerned, and I believe as far as the law is concerned (at least here in Canada), it only becomes an issue when a public Teacher(Ontarios' Public catholic board exlcuded) attempts to force beliefs in a classroom setting.

On Culture/Manga In general
In regards to my crit in this area, it is one hundred percent pure speculation and loose opinion. My main worry with serenity as a manga is that it is taking something uniquely non north american, and jamming it into something north american. Is it possible that this is a serious insult to the japanese culture, because it is not only North americanizing something unique to them, but also adding the religion aspect that is not their religion? I don't know, but theres a dangerous potentional there, especially when you consider how the japanese have disliked it when south korea does this(however it is possible that this stems from their general dislike of south korea). I have a general worry that stem's from the distinct differences between sub-cultures here. But I can provide no solid opinion on this, only loose ones.

Just remember, Im a Political Science major at university, and have been studying poltics and all of the related analysis skills that goes along with it. I am also not one to really go after christian publications, but I feel particularly strong towards this manga, not because it is Blatant propoganda of sorts, but because I see some hidden messages/propoganda and latent meanings, which I consider far more dangerous then blatant.
Midou

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Hm, interesting to see this revived again. A warm welcome to Midou... did you join for the sake of commenting on this subject? I'm merely curious.

Midou wrote:I hate to say it, but there are alot of non-christians who have taken a more negative view of this manga.

My comment was intended to apply only to this thread, as I had little doubt there was vicious criticism and outright mocking of the series in many parts of the internet (not to mention a site such as ****).

For the most part I agree with your statements but have nothing substansive to add, so my comments will be limited.

Midou wrote:As far as I am concerned, and I believe as far as the law is concerned (at least here in Canada), it only becomes an issue when a public Teacher(Ontarios' Public catholic board exlcuded) attempts to force beliefs in a classroom setting.

I believe you are correct in this. Speaking privately to a student is not in any way mandating a religion. There have been cases where the laws are interpreted this strictly, but I don't think any of those have been upheld in court. I think the demonization of the separation of church and state is one of the biggest mistakes made by mainstream Christianity today.

Midou wrote:In regards to my crit in this area, it is one hundred percent pure speculation and loose opinion. My main worry with serenity as a manga is that it is taking something uniquely non north american, and jamming it into something north american. Is it possible that this is a serious insult to the japanese culture, because it is not only North americanizing something unique to them, but also adding the religion aspect that is not their religion? I don't know, but theres a dangerous potentional there, especially when you consider how the japanese have disliked it when south korea does this(however it is possible that this stems from their general dislike of south korea). I have a general worry that stem's from the distinct differences between sub-cultures here. But I can provide no solid opinion on this, only loose ones.

Though I've seen this issue raised before, it has never been in a serious and constructive manner (more from obsessive and elitist fans). This is the one area where I disagree with you, though not strongly. My general tendancy is to say that it would be arrogant (and perhaps ethnocentric) for the Japanese to claim that other cultures cannot use a general artstyle in their own cultural context. Whether or not it can be called manga... that's a fair debate, and one that doesn't particularly matter to me (I just wish some consensus would be reached so that the terms can be used clearly). Overall, however, I don't think this should be an offensive issue (that's a value statment, not an expectation).

But, like you, this is pretty much just my loose opinion.
uc pseudonym

Postby Souba » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 pm

I just finished the series and I enjoyed it very much! I'm so glad to see someone out there at the very least trying to use this new medium for ministry! Just so awesome that my brothers and sisters in Christ at Buzz are doing it! After all we have to start somewhere in order to grow, so you can't expect perfection in message or material on the first attempt, but I think you are off to a wonderful start. I should talk know because I have restarted my project three times, and I'm sure not everyone will approve of it. Still if one life recieves Christ then it will all be worth it. ^^
God Bless you guys keep up the work and reach the lost!
Souba
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby Midou » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:49 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Hm, interesting to see this revived again. A warm welcome to Midou... did you join for the sake of commenting on this subject? I'm merely curious.

While my main reason for coming to this site(finding it when looking for serenity manga on google), and indeed joining up was to comment on this subject, yes, I have actually become quite intrigued after browsing this website so I believe I will be staying out of curiosity. To be honest this site blew my mind, when I found out that christians have been reading mainstream manga and have a board for it..Really kinda shocking. It just seems wowing to me that the subculture of manga and anime fandom has found a niche inside the christian market.

uc pseudonym wrote:My comment was intended to apply only to this thread

Apologies for the misunderstanding on my behalf then.

uc pseudonym wrote:There have been cases where the laws are interpreted this strictly

Because this has got me curious about where the law has come down hard on christianity, I don't suppose you have any specific examples? I've never heard of this, but It does not surprise me that it is possible..even if you don't have a info link general info would help so I could find out for myself.

uc pseudonym wrote:Though I've seen this issue raised before, it has never been in a serious and constructive manner (more from obsessive and elitist fans).

Yes, too many elitist fans have taken on this issue in some of the most ludacris ways.

uc pseudonym wrote: is to say that it would be arrogant (and perhaps ethnocentric) for the Japanese to claim that other cultures cannot use a general artstyle in their own cultural context.

This brings up a very valid point, especially now that I realize the Japanese immitated disneyesque cartoons back in the day. And I like you just can't provide a strong opinion on the issue. More or less a series of What iffs and what I see as possibilities. Nor will we ever know, as I doubt Serenity will get much release into japan, aka, they won't know about it and the only people who will be complaining about it are white elitist otaku.

As a further; Having myself just read 4 5 and 6, It appears that the aspects that where outlined before have really dissipated in these volumes(outside of a bit more of the Seperation of Church and state demonization). Im wondering if you noticed this too?(if you have read up to 6)
Midou

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:31 pm

Midou wrote:To be honest this site blew my mind, when I found out that christians have been reading mainstream manga and have a board for it..Really kinda shocking. It just seems wowing to me that the subculture of manga and anime fandom has found a niche inside the christian market.

So the general attitude of this site is significantly different from your primary experiences with Christianity? I can understand that, though I wasn't anticipating it because it is very different from my social perspective: where I grew up people barely bat an eye at such pasttimes.

Midou wrote:Apologies for the misunderstanding on my behalf then.

Not a problem. I only wanted to clarify my position.

Midou wrote:Because this has got me curious about where the law has come down hard on christianity, I don't suppose you have any specific examples? I've never heard of this, but It does not surprise me that it is possible..even if you don't have a info link general info would help so I could find out for myself.

First, let me clear up a potential misunderstanding. There have been individual cases in which given teachers or administrators have interpreted certain laws as forbidding any prayer in school or not allowing a public servant to express their religion on school ground. But the courts have been clear that these are misapplications.

To be honest, I didn't have an instance in mind when I made the previous post. I felt it was a safe statement because I know some fundamentalists always trot out specific examples whenever they want to claim that their faith is being attacked (couldn't find any of these with a quick internet search, sorry) and because I know of cases in which the Supreme Court had to defend the right to personal prayer (I think Tinker vs Des Moines and Capitol Square Review & Advisory Board vs Pinette are examples of this, though I don't know how much information is available about them online).

That's the best I can do]Nor will we ever know, as I doubt Serenity will get much release into japan, aka, they won't know about it and the only people who will be complaining about it are white elitist otaku.[/quote]
That strikes me as the likely outcome.

[quote="Midou"]As a further]
My volume of six is still on it's way; I haven't been very motivated to order it. But from what I have read I agree with you that in general the elements mentioned here have been decreased. However, I would attribute part of this to the focus on the love triangle. We'll see what I think about this as she apparently reads the Bible in six and as the romantic subplot concludes (at least I hope it will, one way or another).
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Heh. This is a much-revived thread, though that's good because it means people are searching the forums intead of just making new threads.

Of course, this may not happen much more. Serenity sales have been very poor and they split with their publisher for reasons as of yet unknown. From what I've heard they sold the series to Thomas Nelson at a loss, but I have yet to see a seventh volume in existence.
uc pseudonym

Postby Midou » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:33 pm

2 year late reply here. I just remembered this site out of the blue..I didn't think its really been 2 years since I last came here..but oh well. Sorry for the thread revival..again..Or Not..seems like it was revived recently..

uc pseudonym wrote:So the general attitude of this site is significantly different from your primary experiences with Christianity? I can understand that, though I wasn't anticipating it because it is very different from my social perspective: where I grew up people barely bat an eye at such pasttimes.

Slightly, However I'm not saying that all my primary experiences with Christianity has been dealing with fundamentalists. Mostly its the fact that I wasn't instabanned for not being a Christian and posting on the forums. Among other things.

[quote="uc pseudonym"]
To be honest, I didn't have an instance in mind when I made the previous post. I felt it was a safe statement because I know some fundamentalists always trot out specific examples whenever they want to claim that their faith is being attacked ...That's the best I can do]

You don't need to worry about providing me with an Example anymore. in the two years since my last post I got an experience with an attack on faith from an apparent unbiased source, my own University students assoication; They successfully forced through a shutdown of a christian backed anti-abortion group because "It was a group dangerous to females on campus" among other (to my opinion) Ridiculous ideas that could all be defeated with the fact that this group should have had free speech on campus.

[quote="uc pseudonym"]My volume of six is still on it's way]

Yeah, Ill agree with you from a story standpoint, I hope they end that Romantic subplot in the next 4 editions(which are apparently coming out according to the realbuzz website), it bogs the story down.

Btw, on a side note. What do you think of the caricature of Serenities boss at Pizza Puka, I just realized it COULD(if your sensitive to issues of race) be taken as a offensive in a racial sense.
Midou

Postby Midou » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:53 pm

2year old reply attempt two(Apparently my first attempt was eaten by the server). I just remembered about this site :S. Also glad im not gravedigging as someone else replied to this about a month ago.

uc pseudonym wrote:So the general attitude of this site is significantly different from your primary experiences with Christianity? I can understand that, though I wasn't anticipating it because it is very different from my social perspective: where I grew up people barely bat an eye at such pasttimes.

Pretty much yeah. Although thats not saying my entire personal experience with christians has been fundamentalist types. I am also surprised i didnt get instabanned due to not being christian here.(For the record however I do believe in a greater power of some sort)

uc pseudonym wrote:To be honest, I didn't have an instance in mind when I made the previous post. I felt it was a safe statement because I know some fundamentalists always trot out specific examples whenever they want to claim that their faith is being attacked (couldn't find any of these with a quick internet search, sorry) and because I know of cases in which the Supreme Court had to defend the right to personal prayer (I think Tinker vs Des Moines and Capitol Square Review & Advisory Board vs Pinette are examples of this, though I don't know how much information is available about them online).

No Worries about this anymore. I had an experience with this firsthand when my University Student assocation moved to and sucessfully banned a christian backed student club off campus for being Pro-Abortion, their reasoning was it was "Espousing ideas that are a Danger to women's well being on campus". IMHO it was a breach of the free speech attitudes the university has.

[quote="uc pseudonym"]My volume of six is still on it's way]

Yeah I agree with the romantic triangle, it needs to end. It really bogs down the story. Also now theres 4 more volumes out which I have yet to read, So I cant wait to see where the story has gone from there.

Question, what do you think of the charachterization of Pizza Puka's boss, when I was going through the mangas a couple days ago(same thing that made me remember this site..and check it out..after two years). I noticed that his charachter has some chinese sterotypes going on in it. Whats your opninon on that? (Myself, I think it could be seen as racist by some people..but its not really blatant)
Midou

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:40 pm

Midou wrote:I am also surprised i didnt get instabanned due to not being christian here.

I sincerely hope CAA never does this.

Midou wrote:(For the record however I do believe in a greater power of some sort)

Do you mean "of some sort" in the sense that you believe in a different conception of God, or in the sense that you believe in a higher power in general? That's just out of curiosity, really, so you can say however much or little you like.

Midou wrote:Yeah I agree with the romantic triangle, it needs to end. It really bogs down the story. Also now theres 4 more volumes out which I have yet to read, So I cant wait to see where the story has gone from there.

I have read the next four, unfortunately, for the purpose of reviewing them. The romantic triangle is still there, but its effect is lessened by the fact that half of each volume is now devoted to a completely unrelated story with the characters as actors. This feels pretty gimmicky to me, but I've already said enough about that elsewhere.

Midou wrote:Question, what do you think of the charachterization of Pizza Puka's boss, when I was going through the mangas a couple days ago(same thing that made me remember this site..and check it out..after two years). I noticed that his charachter has some chinese sterotypes going on in it. Whats your opninon on that? (Myself, I think it could be seen as racist by some people..but its not really blatant)

From what I remember, I thought it was probably incidental. His character is such a minor one that the personality traits he has feel very one note. Given that all his characteristics can be summed up in "elderly Asian man" it's easy to see how it feels vaguely racist. I personally wouldn't have used any Engrish on a minor character, but I don't think much of it when others do.
uc pseudonym

Postby Midou » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1252907) wrote:Do you mean "of some sort" in the sense that you believe in a different conception of God, or in the sense that you believe in a higher power in general? That's just out of curiosity, really, so you can say however much or little you like.

I believe in a higher power, a god if you will, However what form that God takes I do not know. Basically I believe in the fact that there is a greater power, however I would not ascribe to any sort of organized religion for the sole fact that I do not believe we as humans can know what that greater power wants or doesn't want us to do. Id like to consider myself a very spiritual person, however it is an individualistic spirituality...And thats not to say I don't think of others..because of course I do..being kind(or trying to) to everybody just feels like common sense to me, I don't do it because A religion tells me to, I do it because it feels like the right thing to do. It's hard to explain really.

uc pseudonym (post: 1252907) wrote:I have read the next four, unfortunately, for the purpose of reviewing them. The romantic triangle is still there, but its effect is lessened by the fact that half of each volume is now devoted to a completely unrelated story with the characters as actors. This feels pretty gimmicky to me, but I've already said enough about that elsewhere.

Well I shall have to order the next four and see for myself. Which I think I will definitely do.

uc pseudonym (post: 1252907) wrote:I personally wouldn't have used any Engrish on a minor character, but I don't think much of it when others do.

Yeah I think it was the engrish and the fact that they gave him a cranky type attitude that set off the stereotype alarm bells in my head.
Midou

Postby melmel195 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm

well, I feel sort of awkward reviving this topic a good while after the last post, but i thought I'd add my opinion.
for the record: I fit right into the category the series is aimed at- young teens when I discovered it and still a teenager now. I own the first 6 - my mom bought them for me as a present because i seemed interested, flipping through them in the store - and I've read most of the last 4.
with that in mind and the fact that I tend to be easily amused and non critical, and the fact that I haven't read 7-10 in years and 1-6 are... hidden and have been for a while, you can take my opinions as seriously or not as you want. I won't have any direct comments on art unless it really stood out. but as I said, I'm not likely to be critical of it.
But I enjoyed the series. The characterization worked for me, and growing up in a church, all too often, what you see is that same sort of... growing judgement. We hide it from ourselves, but a lot of times, there are people like kimberly convinced they have their own lives perfect and that anyone as crazy as serenity, well, someone should teach them about the truth of christ's love, but does it have to be me? You also get the slightly overbearing friends like sally and people with messed up lives *avoids mentioning volume 7 spoiler, just in case*
Also, the slow characterization with a final resolution was a part of it I really enjoyed. by about volume 6 she's willing to read the bible she'd been handed in volume 1 and
**spoiler alert and I'm not editing this one out** once she gets baptized (volume 8 or 9?), what I really liked was that she dyed her hair back to brown, apparently her original color, because she thought it was expected, and the others outright encouraged her to dye it back - to continue being herself. A lot of times what seems to be overlooked in christianity (combining some of my friends' views with my own observations) is that we don't follow a strict set of rules. That is so often misunderstood, or at least in the crowds I hang out with, people are judgmental of christians as a whole (they accept me because I'm "different than that") because they expect us to be judgmental...
Also, for those who have read that far, did eddie's personal history as told in volume 7 or 8 just seem completely out of place? especially considering there's no follow up to it. That is maybe my one complaint. I might come up with more when I have a chance to reread it, but overall, I remember enjoying the series.
melmel195

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews