Dont suppose someone could help

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Dont suppose someone could help

Postby Kiba-kun » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Could somebody help me choose a good manga to buy? I'm into magic, fantasy, and supernatural stuff but i cant find anything that looks like a good read, so could someone point me in the right path to finding one? If you can it's greatly appreciated, library books just cant hold up to the endless possiblities that a manga has to offer.

Also if you think that a diff kind of manga is a good read could you tell about that too? I'm pretty much up to anything if it's good.

Thx again.
FKA Mythmaster

Why must we be abandoned in times of need?
Do others not see when we yearn for their touch;
An insatiable hunger only they can feed.
Left alone with out their words – fallen into darkness.
Stumbling blindly without their light,
We fall and scream, knowing we've faced too much,
Knowing the only answer is flight.
Flight from the lives we once faced
And the joys and terrors others have brought.
Our time with them, a time of joy and life,
Wonder we all, was it for naught?
Kiba-kun

Postby Maledicte » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:24 pm

Immortal Rain. Sci-fi action with supernatural hues.
Pet Shop of Horrors. Twilight Zone meets anime and animals. Because of the Older Teen rating you might want to sit this one out though.
Vampire Games. Shojo, fantasy, vampire comedy.
Maledicte

Postby Kisa » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:38 am

Magic Knight Reayearth, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Fushigi Yugi, DNAngel.....
^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:39 am

Are you looking for something shonen or more laid-back? If the latter I have nothing to add, but if you want shonen I'll recommend Bleach. It is highly supernatural, vaguely fantasy, and, if you give it enough time, the plot is excellant.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:52 am

Full Metal Alchemist is magic, I guess. I don't know how esle you'd qualify Alchemy. It's a good read. Or, atleast, the first two volumes have been. You could give that a shot.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Debitt » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:20 pm

Short warning about Vampire Game: There are a couple of homosexual relationships strongly implied in it, so you may want to flip through it in the bookstore before you buy.

And now I throw in my obligatory suggestions: Anything by Sakura Kinoshita (ie Tactics and Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok) is mostly light-hearted and has a lot of fun supernatural elements. Tactics takes place during turn of the century Japan and focuses on part-time youkai buster Kantarou and the tengu, Haruka. Mythical Detective Loki is loosely based on Norse mythology, with the god Loki exiled to Earth in the body of a kid.

._.; ADV does release both series, but they do it at the speed of really slow. If you decide to look into Loki, you'll probably want to read up on the series a bit before you read the first volume, since for some reason they're only publishing the 2nd half of the series.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:33 pm

I second Tsubasa Chronicles! Even if you haven't read any Clamp before.

uhhh King of Bandits Jing, Alichino, Death Note (which is released in oct. WOOOOOOO) uhhh One Piece, Trigun....
Kawaiikneko

Postby Myoti » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:42 pm

I second Tsubasa Chronicles! Even if you haven't read any Clamp before.

Yes. I've only read the first but flipped through some of the others and it seems pretty good (must... get...).

One Piece is good. It's not really "magic" stuff, but it's still really good.

Trigun... eh, I like the anime but some of the stuff I saw in the manga was... wierd. One part in particular being:

[SPOILER]The part where Knives appeares as an angel and Vash gets the Angel Arm. I'm supposing this was the same part in the anime where he gets the Angel Arm, but... could someone please explain to me WHAT THE #%*&! IS GOING IN THE MANGA VERSION!? Knives as an angel (if that was him), looked... I dunno. Someone please explain this to me...[/SPOILER]

FMA, yes. Quite good. Get. Now. Fool. XP

Naruto is kinda like magic stuff (ninjutsu, etc.), too, so you might wanna try that (but get duct tape ready for the first volume).
Myoti

Postby Kiba-kun » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:06 am

Immortal Rain. Sci-fi action with supernatural hues.
Pet Shop of Horrors. Twilight Zone meets anime and animals. Because of the Older Teen rating you might want to sit this one out though.
Vampire Games. Shojo, fantasy, vampire comedy.

I've been readin Immortal Rain and i must say its got me hooked
Ohh Pet Shop of Horrors sounds good i like reading about animals
Hmmm i'll check out Vampire Games souds interesting

Magic Knight Reayearth, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Fushigi Yugi, DNAngel.....
^^

I've never heard of any of those except for DNAngel and that has me hooked to

Are you looking for something shonen or more laid-back? If the latter I have nothing to add, but if you want shonen I'll recommend Bleach. It is highly supernatural, vaguely fantasy, and, if you give it enough time, the plot is excellant.

supernatural you say? well then i'm just compelled to get it then lol

Full Metal Alchemist is magic, I guess. I don't know how esle you'd qualify Alchemy. It's a good read. Or, atleast, the first two volumes have been. You could give that a shot.

I've been keeping up with the show. Is there a diff in the two or does it just follow the same story line. (and Alchemy is qualified as science or it is as far as i know)

And now I throw in my obligatory suggestions: Anything by Sakura Kinoshita (ie Tactics and Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok) is mostly light-hearted and has a lot of fun supernatural elements. Tactics takes place during turn of the century Japan and focuses on part-time youkai buster Kantarou and the tengu, Haruka. Mythical Detective Loki is loosely based on Norse mythology, with the god Loki exiled to Earth in the body of a kid.

I'm going to have to check these out if they've got mythology and supernatural in them.

uhhh King of Bandits Jing, Alichino, Death Note (which is released in oct. WOOOOOOO) uhhh One Piece, Trigun....

wow i need to read more info on manga i have no clue what those are except for One Peice and Trigun but i shall look them up at school

Yes. I've only read the first but flipped through some of the others and it seems pretty good (must... get...).

One Piece is good. It's not really "magic" stuff, but it's still really good.

Trigun... eh, I like the anime but some of the stuff I saw in the manga was... wierd. One part in particular being:

FMA, yes. Quite good. Get. Now. Fool. XP

Naruto is kinda like magic stuff (ninjutsu, etc.), too, so you might wanna try that (but get duct tape ready for the first volume).

I'm also keeping up with the show on One Peice, but because of all the changes i think i might just get the manga
I cant say i'm a huge fan of Trigun but CR is going to make me watch all the episodes if i ever want to see all the Wolf's Rain episodes
The Naruto anime is pretty good so i think i'll check out the manga

Thanks everyone for the help i've now got a new list to investigate so i'm happy
FKA Mythmaster

Kiba-kun

Postby The Grammarian » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:46 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Inuyasha yet. It's most definitely a fantasy manga, complete with magic and the supernatural.

Another in this vein would be Samurai Deeper Kyo.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:27 am

Let me reinforce that Death Note is a good title, though it is less fantasy than others listed. But if you like intellectual conflict, you'll probably enjoy the manga quite a bit.

mythmaster wrote:Is there a diff in the two or does it just follow the same story line.

The Fullmetal Alchemist anime changes around quite a bit of stuff and invents some things, but it still has the same essential feel and plot. I can't speak about how the endings compare, as I haven't seen or read that far.

As for alchemy as "magic" or "science," I think Mangafanatic called it magic because, in essence, it still serves that purpose. It may be officially explained in scientific terms, but it functions and looks like magic.
uc pseudonym

Postby avec_merci » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:11 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:Short warning about Vampire Game: There are a couple of homosexual relationships strongly implied in it, so you may want to flip through it in the bookstore before you buy.

And incest. And, in my opinion, a completely lack of philosophically coherent morals, but it IS meant to be fluff, I suppose.
avec_merci

Postby Debitt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:24 pm

avec_merci wrote:And incest. And, in my opinion, a completely lack of philosophically coherent morals, but it IS meant to be fluff, I suppose.

Well, if by incest you mean the implied Laphiji and Seliez (I think that's they're names, I'm not 100% sure), then...
[spoiler]You do find out that they aren't blood related, so that isn't so much incest as it is just...really weird.[/spoiler]

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Maledicte » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:Short warning about Vampire Game: There are a couple of homosexual relationships strongly implied in it, so you may want to flip through it in the bookstore before you buy.

avec_merci wrote:And incest. And, in my opinion, a completely lack of philosophically coherent morals, but it IS meant to be fluff, I suppose.

Sorry, guys! I forgot all about that one. (I've only read the first 4 volumes anyway, so sadly my opinion on the subject doesn't really matter...)
Maledicte

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:05 pm

I second Inuyasha.
As far as supernatural goes there's always Yu Yu Hakusho and also the
manga version of Yu-Gi-Oh!And let's not forget Oh My Goddess.
mitsuki lover

Postby SP1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:14 pm

I am enjoying reading xxxHolic, by Clamp. Don't let the title fool you, it's Teen (13+) rated and has a lot of good ghost story themes in it. It makes use of a Tsubasa - Resevoir Chronicles tie-in, but it's only a minor one and you can get by without it.

BTW: Does anyone know how this title is supposed to be prononced?
SP1

Postby Kiba-kun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:35 pm

ARRGH!!!! I HATE HASTINGS!!!!! that is the only place to buy manga's around here with out ordering off the internet and they dont have ANY of those manga's! i swear it's like they just took half of them and put them to the flame treatment. Jeez i hate them right now. *goes off to rant some more*
FKA Mythmaster

Kiba-kun

Postby Hoshika » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:13 pm

Someone already suggested Fullmetal Alchemist and I must second, third and forth that one. It's an excellent series; every single volume is awesome- no story lagging there. Definate must have if you are looking for the best in manga... and I would know. ^o^
Hoshika

Postby Kiba-kun » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:42 pm

well i'm keeping up with the episodes on AdultSwim and i dont think that the two versions of FMA differs to much so i think i'll just keep watching since i only have limited spending money
FKA Mythmaster

Kiba-kun

Postby Hoshika » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:39 am

Actually there are many, MANY differences between the manga and the anime. Some of the shows are based the manga, but once you read it you'll definitely notice the striking differences right of the bat.

Totally understand the money pinch. The Fullmetal Alchemist manga is most definitely worth the buy or at least strongly hinting at for a Christmas present. :D
Hoshika

Postby VerityDemortem » Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 pm

SP1 (post: 569656) wrote:I am enjoying reading xxxHolic, by Clamp. Don't let the title fool you, it's Teen (13+) rated and has a lot of good ghost story themes in it. It makes use of a Tsubasa - Resevoir Chronicles tie-in, but it's only a minor one and you can get by without it.

BTW: Does anyone know how this title is supposed to be prononced?

Better yet, read Tsubasa and xxxHolic, since they're both amazing.
xxxHolic is just pronounced "Holic". I puzzled over that for a while myself :P.
[font="Times New Roman"][color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]" . . . silence is the language of the heart."[/SIZE][/color][/font]
VerityDemortem

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Once again, this thread is from 2005, so any advice you might be able to give is no longer really necessary. XD We prefer that members not gravedig old threads on CAA, and you can find some of our other board policies in our FAQ/Rules. Again, welcome to CAA! Have fun posting in more recent threads! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews