Negi

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Negi

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:16 am

Got the new negima and full meatal panic and they are hilarious glad I grabed those 2 although book 10 of dragon hunter probably would of also been a good read.

Negi=school trip thats fun

FMP=meats chidories grandpa
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:20 am

Yep, I just bought volume 4 of Negima the other day, and I'm enjoying it so far! Looks like they cut down on the fanservice too. W00t!

I'm curious to find out what's going to happen with Konoka...especially after what the headmaster said to Negi about her parents...heh heh.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:27 am

Being a big Love Hina fan...I went head first into Negima. I just got Vol 2 (focusing on working on my LH more) and I am looking foward to reading it very soon ^_^

My fav characters is Asuna, Konoka, Yue, Kazumi, Fuka and Fumika, Makie, Chizuru, and Sakurako.
Hitokiri

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:29 am

I'm a Nodoka fan. GO Nodoka! ^^

Nate

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:53 am

Her haircut scares me..for instance on the first vol page 57 (around there) in the middle where she thanks Negi for saving her.

Se looks like something from Star Wars!! I always add a venomous hiss when I see that cause it reminds me of it. Creepy.
Hitokiri

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:19 pm

:eh:

I never thought Nodoka's haircut was scary...I thought it looked very cute on her...she even got it cut especially for Negi.

Then again, I may just like Nodoka because she kind of reminds me of Shinobu. Shinobu was my favorite character in Love Hina (Motoko was a close second).

Er...back on topic... ^^;;

It seems Negi has a lot of troublemakers in his class...who knew? That's the only problem I really have with the series. Too many characters. It's difficult to keep track of them and give them unique personalities (Ken himself even commented on that). It doesn't help when a lot of them look similar too (like Makie and one of those cheerleader girls). And I think that girl who's the lunch representative has been in like a grand total of two panels.

And the robot...well, I won't get into that one.

Nate

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:11 pm

[quote="kaemmerite"]:eh:

I never thought Nodoka's haircut was scary...I thought it looked very cute on her...she even got it cut especially for Negi.

Then again, I may just like Nodoka because she kind of reminds me of Shinobu. Shinobu was my favorite character in Love Hina (Motoko was a close second).

Er...back on topic... ^^]

Say no more, I'm just on Chapter 2 ::plugs ears::

Anyways...reverts to the Nodaka - Shinobu topic....I can see where you make that comparison however....Shinobu to me is unique. She's one of my fav anime girl characters as well.

Back to topic...

I like all the students. Sometimes, you do get so and so up but I think it's fun referring back to the yearbook and checking who is who. Adds a intresting touch. I added another character I like: Kaeda...I love her goofy expression and yet calm. A very fun character.
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:01 pm

I'm up to book 8... bwa ha ha.

Or maybe it should be :sweat: since having the Japanese makes me realize how badly the Del Rey "translation" is

What I like about this series is that unlike Love Hina where you had a pretty good idea who Keitaro was going to wind up with from early on, You still don't have any clues how this one will turn out, and sometimes it feels like Akamatsu is setting us up for a bait and switch...

The characters get fleshed out more and more as you go. However, the really important ones seem to be [see the class chart in book 1]:

[spoiler]Asuna, Chachamaru, Fei Ku, Konoka, Setsuna, Makie, Kaede, Chizuru, the Narutaki twins, Evangeline and Nodoka play recurring roles and seem to have special abilities. Secondary chara include Yue, Kazumi, Ayaka and possibly Mana[/spoiler]
Arnobius

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:58 pm

I liked how in Vol 2 Akamasu devoted indivdual chapters to some of the girls. I defitently liked the one chapater (her name escapes me) of the girl who looks a bit like Naru with her glasses on however she runs a model type website for her. I'm exicted about this manga (hey, you inadvertantly introduced it to me AnimeHeretic ;) )
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:29 pm

[quote="Hitokiri"]I liked how in Vol 2 Akamasu devoted indivudal chapters to some of the girls. I defitently liked the one chapater (her name escapes me) of the girl who looks a bit like Naru with her glasses on however she runs a model type website for her. I'm exicted about this manga (hey, you inadvertantly introduced it to me AnimeHeretic ]
That would be Chisame Hasegawa (class list on p29-30 in volume 1 is a big plus to have handy.)

Many of the characters get fleshed out in the next few volumes, and it seems to bounce back and forth from fanservice to more action type stories as we go, so in that regard, it might be less problematic than Love Hina. Definitely one I plan to get in both English and Japanese.

Glad you like it, though I don't know if I should feel good or bad to have introduced it to you :sweat: given the content..., but I hope you enjoy the ride over the next year (given Del Rey's 3 months per volume policy), as it gets even better.
Arnobius

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:09 am

I myself like evangeline cuss shes misunderstood even by herself

and I really want to know more about the southern master cause i dont belive the explanation of him having so many prohibitionary contracts being the reason
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Arnobius » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:I myself like evangeline cuss shes misunderstood even by herself

and I really want to know more about the southern master cause i dont belive the explanation of him having so many prohibitionary contracts being the reason

I like Evangeline too, and we get to know her better as the series rolls along
If you want to know more about Thousand Master, here are some key spoilers from volume 5-8. Just be careful because they *are* the key points...
[spoiler]Well, we're still learning about him, but we are given some clues: He was a warrior/magician, he's the one who gave Negi his staff, he's Negi's father, it's unknown if he's alive or dead, there is a clue hidden away in Mahora Academy, but Negi has to get a lot stronger to defeat the guardian in the room, he saved Negi's life about 5-6 years ago and that's when Negi recognized the Thousand Master was his dad.[/spoiler]

As for the name, there's a lot of debate because the Japanese is サウザンド マスター (Sauzando masutaa). Del Rey thinks it means "Southern Master", but I think "Thousand Master" is more accurate because the English word "southern" would probably be rendered "sauzan"
Arnobius

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:19 pm

I was going to make a thread on thsi but I guess I will post it here.

For everyone who has read Love Hina and Negima (granted though that it hasn;t been completed yet), which do you think is the best?

I like Negima alot because the big cast of characters with different personalities, stories, clubs, etc and the Negima world seems bigger.

However...Love Hina, to me, i something special. Don't know why but it was the first manga I got REALLY into and enjoyed ALOT. Despite the fan service, Love Hina is my favorite manga.
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Well, Love Hina took a smaller cast of characters and had them grow from being superficial manga chara to being characters you really cared about. I mean Motoko was the character I hated most when I started, but when I got to volume 9, where we meet her sister, she had really turned into a sympathetic character. On the other hand, I had a very good idea who the "promise girl" was from the very beginning, so it was predictable.

It was better than the anime too. I watched that and decided it was pretty much a Tenchi/Maison Ikkoku clone. But when I found the manga, that was funny...

Negima is still growing. I have an advatage over most, seeing how I have it up to the most recent volume in JP, so it's hard not to spill everything. Relationships do grow here though, some friendship, some older-younger and some with the potential to become more. Akamatsu has to run a fine line between going to too much fanservice and too much action (which was not a factor in LH).

Anyway, I haven't been this thrilled over new volumes in a series since I did follow LH
Arnobius

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Negima is great Right now I am also getting the reissues of AI Loveyou and there not bad yet after reading the intire love hina as well I can just say He is really becoming better with every issue he writes his talents are growing the more he does it showing his mastery of the art.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Arnobius » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:31 pm

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:Negima is great Right now I am also getting the reissues of AI Loveyou and there not bad yet after reading the intire love hina as well I can just say He is really becoming better with every issue he writes his talents are growing the more he does it showing his mastery of the art.

That one (AI) didn't click with me, but I liked his other stuff. I'm off to Kinokuniya tomorrow if the weather is good. See if the JP #9 of Negima
came out yet. Also, look into the deluxe version of Love Hina where the art is supposed to be colored
Arnobius

Postby Riku777 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:53 pm

I've only read negi vol. 1 and 2
Adopted by Sammy-chu ^-^ *Wishes Sam*ron would come and visit sometimes*

Proud Owner of a limited edition Kaemmerite (AKA Nate) Plushi!!!

Mary had a little lamb.... AND THEN I ATE IT >:D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil:
Locke wrote:When life gives you lemons, make it into a blog and get comments. =/

Nate wrote:[color=black]Screw TNT: CAA Knows Drama.
[/color]
[color=#ffa500]"Thank you for killing this thread...
dragging it's poor comatose body into
the freeway....and allowing the trucks
of rabbits trails of offtopicness drive it
into the pavement. Please, feel free to
spit on it's skid mark remains.
You monster."
-Ark

[/color]
(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
[color=lime](> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination... [/color]Or I'll eat you, all up. Mwahahahahaha
@_@All my base are belong to bunny@_@
[color=mediumturquoise]猿]
Riku777

Location: Where we live in Igloos, it's below freezing ALL the time and where we talk about the Hockey Lockout

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:50 pm

Well...I am now up to speed on the most recent issues (5 is the latest correct). I am loving the story...though not more then LH but it is very good. I like the blend of action and comedy. It is a nice touch.
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:22 pm

Volume 9 came out in Japanese. They introduce some more of the girls, including some lesser ones. Fanservice is on the upswing again.
Arnobius

Postby aule1701 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:36 pm

Man i love this series hope the anime is just a good it just stared in JP. I have 1-5 wish i could read JP so I could read new ones. That it i am going to learn kanji
A person is smart people are dumb
"Perception is reality and reality is perception"- me
He who is easly amused is amused more often
He who laughs last was just to dumb to get the joke
aule1701

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:44 am

You can always search online for translated manga. I have found some sites that have future translated chapters but I havn't gottena round to readin them.
Hitokiri

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:26 am

Yea i just read book five yesterday and that was hilarious the dog spirit. And the game they played to find negi was classic. The paper spells it was hilariious.

Of course now I have to wait till july to get the next one I am so sad.

There was some real awsome action senes.
You can see how difrent this story is from his other two series.
Which I finnaly just finished AI love you.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Tora » Sun May 01, 2005 6:52 am

I've read all five volumes of Negima that have been translated, and so far have really enjoyed it. My favorite characters are Nodoka, because I tend to prefer the quiet characters, and Kotaro.
Tora

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 01, 2005 7:54 am

I like how it's not all fanservice like the other two. I think Akamatsu realizes his infamous reputation (in the Japanese version for one of the chapter pages, where Negi is drawn in the hotsprings with a bunch of the girls drawn in all their fanservice poses, he's muttering to himself something to the effect that "no real junior high student looks like that"

The anime (apart from it's truly awful animation), is suprisingly good-- and only has a fraction of the fanservice of the manga. The emphasis is different though-- it forshadows things from the manga that are just now showing up in the Japanese....
Arnobius

Postby Tora » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

[spoiler]The news that Setsuna does in fact see Konoka as more than a friend has been bothering me. Does anyone know if anything actually becomes of their relationship? I'm considering dropping Negima if the two actually become a couple, since I wouldn't feel comfortable reading it.[/spoiler]
Tora

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:21 pm

I dicided to revive instead of starting a new one so read the 11th book it was awsome as heck with the super cool fight scene and officially my fav characters are now evangeline and Yue So whos your guys favarite characters how do you like the series so far, and man I cant wait till the next book debues.
Mi-Ru-Me

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews