Kare Kano

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Kare Kano

Postby DuelShocker3 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:55 pm

I can't seem to find anyone besides my friends who have read this Manga. It's a romance manga and I love it so much! If you've read it, what do you think?
DuelShocker3

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:46 pm

I've read the first volume. So far it's pretty good but I've heard that there's some objectionable content later on. Maybe ask Ashley or Gypsy about it :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ashley » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:58 pm

I saw the first 6 episodes or so, but then stopped because Gyp and I found out it had some teen sex in it later on. And since I was borrowing it from her, when she stopped buying it, I stopped seeing it. Personally I felt rather slapped, because it was such a beautifully done series, and they had to go and ruin it like that...
As far as the manga, I dunno. The style was as appealing to me as the animation, and I have no idea how it rates content wise.
Ashley

Postby BrianC » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:19 pm

Ashley wrote:I saw the first 6 episodes or so, but then stopped because Gyp and I found out it had some teen sex in it later on. And since I was borrowing it from her, when she stopped buying it, I stopped seeing it. Personally I felt rather slapped, because it was such a beautifully done series, and they had to go and ruin it like that...
As far as the manga, I dunno. The style was as appealing to me as the animation, and I have no idea how it rates content wise.

Well, I read that the sex scene was edited out from the broadcast version of the anime and turned into an implied sex scene, though, unfortunetly, the implication is still there. As for the manga, someone at a message board said that it's "badly edited", implying that the sex scene is probably gone from the US version (I lothe how some people at the anime on DVD message boards think that the premarital sex scene is the most beautiful scenes in the anime/manga). The sex scene was done "tastefully" without nudity, but premarital sex is never tasteful. However, I don't know if Kare Karo shows the premarital sex as being right or wrong. That is an important thing to take into consideration too.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:42 pm

I've seen the first volume of the anime, and I agree with Ash that the animation is really beautiful, yet quirky enough to be interesting.

As for the sex scene, I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I agree with BrianC that the context and tone in which it is presented makes a difference. I would want to know the rationale behind the scene and how it was presented before I pass judgment on the entire series based on that one specific part. But that's just me--I'm usually willing to ignore or overlook one or two negatives in order to enjoy an otherwise worthwhile series.

I have not read the manga, but from the covers I've seen of the volumes it looks like the artwork there is top-notch too.
Spiritsword

Postby DuelShocker3 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:34 am

Yeah I heard about that. My friend has seen past the sex seen. She just fast forwarded it. In the Manga, they don't have sex, it's edited out.
DuelShocker3

Postby BrianC » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:54 pm

DuelShocker3 wrote:Yeah I heard about that. My friend has seen past the sex seen. She just fast forwarded it. In the Manga, they don't have sex, it's edited out.

The sex scene was left out of the broacast version of the anime too. It was turned into an implied sex scene becuase all you see is a blank screen. The broadcast version is on the US discs, so the sex scene isn't on those either.

I checked out the first two volumes of Kare Kano from the library and I'll post my impressions when I am finished with them.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews