favorite mangaka?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

favorite mangaka?

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:32 pm

so, who are (is) your favorite mangaka? my favorite are:

1. naoki urasawa (author of monster and 20th century boys) - urasawa is a brilliant mangaka. his mangas are both very well-drawn and have exceptionally clever stories. his mangas are jam-packed full of suspense and his works feature ingenius plot twists. his mangas are both among my top favorite and his mangas are also extremely realistic.
2. togashi yoshihiro (author of hunter x hunter and yu yu hakusho) - i believe that togashi yoshihiro is one of the author's of mine that's a personal favorite. his artwork, though somewhat sloppy at times, can be extremely realistic (in a freaky sorta way). his stories, though cliche-ish, are somewhat bizarre and his characters are very creative. his action sequences are among my favorite and his mangas (mainly hxh) are also among my top favorite.
3. kentaro miura (author of berserk) - miura's artwork is simply BEAUTIFUL. his extreme battle sequences are filled with detail and his artwork in berserk depict the medieval times quite well. kentaro miura is also quite an excellent writer. his mangas are filled with lots of subplots and parallel episodes. many other writing techniques are used in his mangas to further the development of his many intriguing characters, each of whom, hold a very interesting past. kentaro miura is a truly gifted mangaka.
4. takeshi obata (artist for hikaru no go and death note) - obata's artwork is VERY VERY well done. it's almost breathtaking to think about how much time he spent in each and every one of his pictures. his pictures are incredibly detailed and extremely realistic. though i'm not a fan of either of his mangas (in fact. they are both on my "least favorite" manga list), i still find his pictures enjoyable and inspiring to look at.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Debitt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 pm

Sakura Kinoshita!

:D :D

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Icarus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Yuichi Kumakura, creator of Jing.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:40 pm

CLAMP, by far.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Naoki Urasawa without a doubt.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:21 pm

Takeshi Obata for detail and drawing style, same for my all time favorite Yukito Kishiro, the main author of Battle Angel Alita.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 pm

I thought through several artists, but I decided not to post any of them. Overall, I can't think of a single manga-ka that has several projects I thought were high quality. Most of the time I like one series but upon reading others I'm unimpressed. Kubo Tite has Bleach and the canceled Zombie Powder, so he gets a name drop, but I wouldn't want to call him my favorite manga-ka.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:10 pm

*Glances at manga piles* *Whimpers slightly* I never was good with these lists...

NUMBER 1: HIROMU ARAKAWA

and
nothing
sorry.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Myoti » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:44 pm

For now, Eiichiro Oda. Though his current series still has quite a ways to go, it would be interesting to see what future works he has planned in mind (especially seeing as he claimed One Piece would NOT be his life's work; it's already taken up about nine years of it XD ).
Myoti

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:47 pm

Eiichiro Oda.

Kiyohiko Azuma.
Last edited by SorasOathkeeper on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SorasOathkeeper

Postby chimera189 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Koge Donbo [Pita Ten, Di Gi Charat]
Hajime Kanzaka [Slayers]
Azuki Ryou [Stellvia]
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:16 am

Lochaber Axe wrote:*Glances at manga piles* *Whimpers slightly* I never was good with these lists...

NUMBER 1: HIROMU ARAKAWA

Yes, she's good. :) Other than that, I haven't read enough manga to give a good oppinion on any mangaka.
bigsleepj

Postby Kkun » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:05 am

Nobuhiro Watsuki, especially in the later volumes of Rurouni Kenshin. I like his rough, sometimes undetailed style. It's kind of minimalist while it gets the point across.

Koge Donbo also gets a nod from me, as does Ken Akamatsu. Also, I'm going to give Hiromu Arakawa some snaps, as well.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Myoti » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:45 am

I need to add in Hiromu Arakawa as well, as my current second favorite. She's got a great style and well-thought out story.

(*SHAMELESS PLUG FOR PEOPLE TO READ THE MANGA INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE ANIME.*)
Myoti

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:10 pm

I'll have to go with either Nobuhiro Watsuki or Tanemura Arina here. Both of them have art styles that are very easy to follow, and their stories have kept me entertained on more than one occasion. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:20 pm

Wow, only one other person has mentioned my favorite, Tanemura Arina? I'm rather shocked. Or maybe just suprised that I run in such a small circle. Tanemura's my favorite because her art is simply stunningly gorgeous, and she has all the plot of Watase without all the nudity or offensive content.
Ashley

Postby Bap » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Duuurh... @o@ Off the top of my head, Nobuyuki Anzai. xD;;; Although later, I think I'll look around a bit more. :>;;;
Bap

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 pm

I'll put in another nod for Ms. Koge. Her style sometimes borders on insipid (and okay, sometimes blows past that border like bullets through Pocky) but she's basically a fan living the dream.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:56 pm

I'll just post my top 3.

Kentaro Miura "Berserk" (meticulously detailed artwork, fantastic character developement, impossible to put down, and overall just incredible. Very mature, but possibly the very best.)

Yukito Kishiro "Battle Angel Alita" (a twisted mastermind. Tight writing, hyper-violent, and often bizzare, packed full black humor and obscure references)

Tsutomu Nihei "BLAME!" (the ultimate apocalyptic cyberpunk series. atmostspheric and involving. Awesomely frantic action sequences. The artwork has an animated type of flow about it. Greatly enjoyable and interesting)
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:08 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:Tsutomu Nihei "BLAME!" (the ultimate apocalyptic cyberpunk series. atmostspheric and involving. Awesomely frantic action sequences. The artwork has an animated type of flow about it. Greatly enjoyable and interesting)

oh yeah. i seriously forgot to mention the author of Blame! (maybe cause i couldn't remember his name) this guy has some seriously detailed artwork. i really like the futuristic story and the fights and battle sequences (as ichigo 89 said) are fast-paced and extremely intense.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Nobuhiro Watsuki

Naoki Urasawa

Akira Toriyama

Hayao Miyazaki

Wataru Yoshizumi

Arina Tanemura

CLAMP (OR 'CRAMP' as my Japanese friend said...)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby PigtailsJazz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:24 pm

Tanemura Arina and Obana Miho ^_^
PigtailsJazz

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:58 pm

Naoki Urasawa and Hiromu Arakawa top my list, with a special mention to Yasuhiro Nightow for his sharp, crisp artistic style and Catholic conversion.
Fish and Chips

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:40 pm

Ken Akamatsu (A.I. Love You, Love Hina, Negima!)
Kosuke Fujishima (Oh My Goddess!)
Kentaro Miura (Berserk)
Masaki Segawa (Basilisk)
Eric

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:52 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Naoki Urasawa

Mad props to you man!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Mad props to you man!

seconded.

Eric wrote:Masaki Segawa (Basilisk)

this manga's pretty good but the lack of plot development prevented me from fully enjoying it. however, the battles and unique characters do deserve praise.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:30 am

jon_jinn wrote:this manga's pretty good but the lack of plot development prevented me from fully enjoying it. however, the battles and unique characters do deserve praise.

That manga easily wins my Sticking to Its Premise Award.
Premise: Two ninja clans kill each other.
Manga Synopsis: Two ninja clans kill each other.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:36 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That manga easily wins my Sticking to Its Premise Award.
Premise: Two ninja clans kill each other.
Manga Synopsis: Two ninja clans kill each other.

ha ha! sadly...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:32 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Mad props to you man!

Is this where we cut to Whose Line?
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Is this where we cut to Whose Line?

We need Richard Simmons to do that :lol:

Anyway yes, Monster is a favorite of mine.
Mr. SmartyPants

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews