Non-Anime OSTs...

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Non-Anime OSTs...

Postby Pantakrator » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:53 am

Hey guys,

This thread is for your absolute favorite non-anime OSTs! Here's the rules;

No anime.
No video games.
List only your favorites.
You may list up to three(3) favorites.
It has to be from a live action movie or series.
Make sure you tell who the (main) composer is and why it's your favorite.
MOST IMPORTANT: Have fun!!!

1. Black Hawk Down- Hans Zimmer

This ST is insane! My brother bought it a few nights ago and I think I've listend to it more than he has. :lol: Hans Zimmer really came through on this one... You can feel the personal, political, cultural, and violent struggles all intertwined yet seperate on all the songs. Completely insane...

Neat tracks; They're all great, butt Barra Barra is really something...

That's all for now. I think I'll get the Passion soundtrack tomarrow... That one is supposed to be really good.
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby Zilch » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:11 am

If I had to pick...I would say...

Freaky Friday's Soundtrack...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:01 am

Ooh! OOH! Good thread!

· The original Star Wars soundtracks. John Williams...is the MAN!
· The Lord of the Rings soundtracks. Soooooo good.
· The Moulin Rouge soundtrack. :grin:
· Some of you might laugh at me for this one, but I really like The Sound of Music soundtrack. ^_^;

That's all I can think of for now.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Pantakrator » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:55 am

Whoa! How'd I forget about Star Wars? Those scores are on the verge of perfection.
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby DrNic » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:53 pm

Easy.

1.The Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack. I've heard that the film was bad but it has tracks such as I Disappear by Metallica and Take a Look Around by Limp Bizkit (vertually the ONLY decent song on Chocolate Starfish)

2.The Bladerunner soundtrack. I know this is a bit wierd coming from me as this has no rock music on it at all but I just find it relaxing and very chilled out.

3.The Resident Evil soundtrack because the score was written by Maryilyn Manson and sounds so kool and because it contains my personal favourite moshing/headbanging track ever, My Plague by Slipknot.
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby shooraijin » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:25 am

Is this for *scores* or *soundtracks*? Nowadays there's a difference.

Myself, I liked (in no particular order):

Danny Elfman's score for the first Mission: Impossible movie (even though as a fan of the original Mission: Impossible series, the movies stink, stink, STINK!). His "Zoom B" redux of the title theme, plus how he worked in the "Plot" theme into some of the tracks invisibly, is great. So is "The Train"

I'm one of the three people who saw this movie, and probably the only one who liked it, but the score for "The Avengers" movie by Joel McNeely has some of the best high-flying music, particularly the portion where the killer robotic bees are pursuing Steed and Mrs Peel.

Carter Burwell did a very ethereal, haunting soundtrack for "Being John Malkovich" -- one of the most original, bizarre and chilling movies ever written (although rated R and deserves it). The theme music for the very creepy ending (stuck for all eternity) always puts chills down my spine. The CD also includes the John Malkovich song from the John Malkovich parallel universe (the one John Malkovich is singing while John Malkovich is playing piano and John Malkovich is ordering John Malkovich from the John Malkovich menu, the order being taken by John Malkovich).

Okay, I'm sorry, I have to do a couple more. Wendy (Walter -- don't ask) gets a two-for-one here. (S)he did a great job on the TRON soundtrack, which has some of the best synth work you'll ever hear from this composer (I always loved the TRON main theme and the Scherzo). The second entry from Carlos is the theme to "A Clockwork Orange" (a movie I find hard to recommend for content reasons, but still a cinematic landmark), which is another exceptional synth-classic fusion.

The soundtrack for 2001 is very good (not original, but a nice collection of classical and post-modernist music), and of course we love Henry Mancini's work in the Pink Panther movies (the best one is probably from "The Pink Panther Strikes Again").

John Williams always does good soundtracks (I have a "Star Wars" anthology and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "The Last Crusade"), but no one here has mentioned John Barry. I loved the weird hazy feel from "Diamonds Are Forever" (1971), as well as "The Living Daylights" with its Eurobeat score.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby skynes » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:53 am

I liked the DareDevil soundtrack. Especially the Evanescence and 12 stones songs.
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby Pantakrator » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:37 pm

Shooraijin wrote:Is this for *scores* or *soundtracks*? Nowadays there's a difference.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that one... I was looking for *scores*. I've learned a bit more since I started the thread and relize the difference now. For anyone reading]ONLY LIST FILM SCORES. NOT SOUNDTRACKS. [/color]

Sorry for the confusion. Can't turn back the clock, but from now on only list scores. Thanks!

And for those of you that dig scores you might want to check out Filmtracks.com

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby thalia » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:07 am

Um...since the rules have suddenly changed it seems, my fav. SCORES are:

Star Wars by John Williams-I have the song book and am addicted to pounding out Darth Vader's theme on the piano!

LOTR by Howard Shore-It is awesome and I actually have all three albums!

And, even though it's changed to scores only, I HAVE to mention the Queen of the Damned soundtrack. The movie might have bitten majorly, but the soundtrack is one of the best ever!
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby Spencer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:46 am

- The Italian Job by John Powell. All these songs are so awesome. Gotta hear it.

- Star Wars by John Williams. This is also really cool.

I don't think I really know any others that I liked very much.
:)
Spencer

Postby Gypsy » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:50 am

Dragon Heart had an excellent score.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Return to Jam Session