Indie Music fans out there?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Indie Music fans out there?

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 pm

I've discovered I'm quite a fan of a lot of Indie music. Even tho I do find a lot of it can be boring, I find that the good stuff is really good. At least, to me. What do you guys think? :) Does anyone else enjoy this new-ish style of music?

Bands like Imagine Dragons, The Lumineers, Mumford & Sons, Awolnation, and others are mixes of Indie and different genres I've found I like. I also am wondering what other people consider "Indie". Because I've had a lot of different perspectives on the style and it seems to be generally pretty broad.

If you have any artists or songs please share! :)
Ella Edric

Re: Indie Music fans out there?

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:56 pm

If you can't sing the entirety of Neutral Milk Hotel's album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea on command, from memory, you can't call yourself a real indie fan. And really, can you call bands that show up on the top 10 Billboard singles on a regular basis "indie?"

That said, Dry the River is pretty great. My sister is big into Bastille, but I found them a little samey (Except for Bad Blood. That one is good.).
Davidizer13

Postby Xeno » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:19 am

Lol, Imagine Dragons, Lumineers, Mumford & Sons, and Awolnation are deffo not indie music. Try listening to Daughter, The Silver Seas, The Nearly Deads, The Weakend, or Swimming with Dolphins. Those are indie groups; and you'd probably like most of them based on the groups you listed.
Xeno

Postby LastLfan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 am

Well imagine dragons WERE indie, but made it big lately, same with a lot of the others listed. Personally I'm a fan of the wombats, who have been on the billboard charts here in US, but had one song reach 16 on the alternative chart. They are definitely bigger in UK though but still indie. Delay trees are also pretty good. Would you count Artic monkeys as indie?
LastLfan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:28 am

mewithoutYou, Beirut, Local Natives, Of Monsters and Men, Arcade Fire, and Vampire Weekend are some that I like.
Last edited by Mr. SmartyPants on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby PandaPop » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

I should listen to more indie music every time someone shows me an indie band I usually like it...then forget about it. The only two I listen to consistently are Angus and Julia stone (definitely more on the boring side, but I find it soothing), and Best Coast (which is getting surprisingly popular in the states lately, no radio or anything like that yet, but compared to six months ago, there's been a good rise in fans)
PandaPop

Return to Jam Session