Hip Hop thread!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Hip Hop thread!

Postby MrKrillz0r » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 am

Hello there! I thought it would be cool to make a thread to see if there is any other hip hop fans here at CAA. So here it is, the official CAA hip hop thread! Let's discuss different artists, genres, styles etc!

I'll start with posting a link from the incredible youtube channel "sphereofhiphop", which is an amazing channel for people who love high quality hip hop with Christian artists, it's mostly underground/lyricism but you can also find mainstream artists there. Anyway here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36E26Ot8FVc ("Braille - Feel it)
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:46 am

I've grown to really respect Lupe Fiasco and Immortal Technique.

They're also pretty not safe for work so I can't really link any of their music. The most notable song is called "Dance with the Devil" by Immortal Technique. Caution though: It's got some *very* graphic and intense subject matter with some haunting lyrics. But that being said it's a very meaningful and important song.

Course then there's also Tupac.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MrKrillz0r » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm

I haven't listened to Lupe Fiasco a whole lot, though from what I've heard he seems to be one of the only "mainstream" artists right now which I actually would enjoy listening to. And as far as Immortal Technique goes I feel you, he's really talented. And I like the raw style he has, though I haven't listened to him for a very long time since I'm finding the "graphic and intense" lyrics to be a bit to much for me to handle. I have however found another emcee with the same raw style as Immortal Technique has, but with lyrics more appealing to me. I'll give a link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WAioKbU130 (Righteouz Knight, he starts at 1:17)
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 am

Lecrae is definitely my favorite - he sounds just like the best of the secular rappers, but he's Christian! My favorite song of his is "Desperate."
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 am

I used to like rap, until the sameness and depravity got on my nerves. However, I do like Christian rappers like Toby Mac.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MrKrillz0r » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 am

@the_wolfs_howl Yeah I like Lecrae as well, though his style isn't really my favorite. He does however have incredible lyrics and high quality music. And Desperate have been a big help to me in hard times, love that song!

@rocklobster Yeah I went through the seem to have gone through, though for me it was metal. I just got tired and fed up with the unoriginality and generic sounds of many bands, though I still do have a few one's which I love to listen to. However I think that if you dig deep enough you will find that there is a whole load of rappers right now who are doing music that is filled with everything but sameness and depravity. For example the new movement called "humblebeast" which consists of a few Christian emcee's, are doing hip hop in a extremely unique way which is completely new to the scene overall, secular or not.
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 am

I was just recently plunged into the holy hip hop scene by a friend of mine, and though i'm not a huge fan of the actual musical presentation, the hard core christian guys speak some truth I can't ignore. I'm a fan of trip lee, lecrae, and Andy Mineo on reach records, but have you guys heard some of the Humble Beast label artists? Their flow is kind of influenced by spoken word style, but they are awesome.

I recommend propaganda's album "Excellent" and beautiful eulogy's "satellite kite." You can get them for free here...

http://humblebeast.com/downloads/
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby Tommy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 am

The singer of copeland's new hip hop project gives me chills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYe04M1Gguo

Also I love Deepspace Five, Tribe Called Quest, Aesop Rock, NWA, and a bunch of sother stuff.

And I also love Propaganda.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby MrKrillz0r » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50 pm

@tronethiel7 Yeah I've heard of Humble Beast, I was actually quite into Theory Hazit and Braille before they started the Humble Beast movement. And I've downloaded Propaganda's album, though I haven't gotten "Satellite kite" yet. Not all that into the "spoken word but yet hip hop" style, though I do think they drop top quality stuff.

@Tommy Deepspace Five is amazing, I found them for a few years ago when I was very new to the whole "positive/Christian/good message" hip hop. And meanwhile I do recognize all of the names you mentioned, I haven't really listened to any of em'. Of course I've heard some of the stuff NWA did.
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Re: Hip Hop thread!

Postby Tigerchu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm into Breaking, Capoeira, and that really tight snappy snare drum you hear in rap, hip hop possibly, and boy bands.
Some breaking moves I like are the flare and the nut-cracker.
Tigerchu

Re:

Postby Tigerchu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 pm

rocklobster wrote:I used to like rap, until the sameness and depravity got on my nerves. However, I do like Christian rappers like Toby Mac.

Lol. Yeah, same here with Linkin Park. Too depressing.
I don't mind Toby Mac. His song Tonight's good, but he talks too much and doesn't spit enough.
Tigerchu

Re: Hip Hop thread!

Postby Vega » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 pm

I don't listen to christian music so I cant talk much on that XD however I love Hopsin, Kreayshawn, B.o.B, Tech N9ne, Mac Miller, Wiz Khalifa and Kid Cudi. To name a few haha
Vega

Return to Jam Session