NO more CD's in 2012

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

NO more CD's in 2012

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm

I just heard that next year, the RIAA will no longer be using CD's. If you want to own new music, you're going to have to use I-tunes or Rhapsody. I was wondering how people feel about this.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby shooraijin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Sounds like another urban legend to me. The RIAA doesn't have any control over whether an individual recording company issues CDs or not.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:56 pm

shooraijin (post: 1517015) wrote:Sounds like another urban legend to me. The RIAA doesn't have any control over whether an individual recording company issues CDs or not.

*feels dumb for having assumed the RIAA was some all-powerful thing*

Thanks for pointing this out. XD;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 pm

shooraijin (post: 1517015) wrote:Sounds like another urban legend to me. The RIAA doesn't have any control over whether an individual recording company issues CDs or not.

Yeah, I thought it sounded a little fishy, and I hadn't even heard this until just now.

But anyway, hypothetically speaking... If it were true, I wouldn't like it. I do like having CD's around my house. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Xeno » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:35 am

This.

Either way, I really wouldn't care as I buy all my music through iTunes now anyway.
Xeno

Postby Hiryu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:34 am

[Citation Needed]

I really doubt this is happening.
Hiryu

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 am

I think this would have to be a decision that each company in the RIAA would make individually, not something mandated across the board, and even if they did make some sort of mandate, I'm not sure what they would do to enforce it. In addition to this, the RIAA is probably the most anti-digital music organization out there, having originally sued to stop MP3 player production, and still referring to transferring music from CD to computer as 'unauthorized copying' as recently as 2008.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Here's a source:
click here
For the record, I heard this on an NPR show.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

I went to the article they were referencing in your link.

Update: We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD. We keep on trying to get an official confirmation, but it seems that the matter is very controversial, especially after Side-Line brought out the story.

Side line isn't confirming this at all, and by their own admission, they have no official sources. I could see it happening, but not suddenly and not without a lot of warning. Unlike CD to DVD, there isn't a clear route to go to gain new content for people who aren't tech savvy, what with the myriad companies and players. It seems incredibly short sited for companies like sony and the like to just drop the whole format, especially since many of the existing companies DON'T have thier own digital distribution routes, at least that I know of, and don't necessarily play nice with iTunes. (Don't bother bringing up the Google music system that was just released either, Google is one of the RIAA's prime enemies.) Heck, VHS was still in production for years after it was declared dead. Theres also no mention of the RIAA itself in the articles, just 'major music companies' and none by name.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, heck, I still see cassette players and cassettes in stores, and we bought a VHS/DVD player, mostly because they're the only way we can still record off the TV. I don't really like this myself. I have an iPod and have downloaded music for it, but most of its library comes from my CD collection.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Unlike CD to DVD, there isn't a clear route to go to gain new content for people who aren't tech savvy

Exactly, which is why this won't happen. There are people who don't want to download music and think there's something to be said for owning a physical copy of media. Even in the video game industry, where digital downloads are huge, physical copies of things still sell well...look at Skyrim. Sure there's people that just bought Skyrim directly off Steam, but a lot of people went out and bought physical copies of the game even though they were going to just pop it in their PC and play it there. Downloading it could have saved them a trip to the store, but they wanted the bonus stuff that came with the special edition, something that couldn't be obtained by a mere download.

Second, as you said, there's nothing binding that would prevent CDs from being created. There's bands out now that still release stuff on vinyl.
It seems incredibly short sited for companies like sony and the like to just drop the whole format, especially since many of the existing companies DON'T have thier own digital distribution routes

Sony does have its own digital distribution system for music, actually, Music Unlimited.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:59 pm

i thought it was only a few of the bigger record companies that will be discontinuing cd's by the end of 2013 and the only cd's will be deluxe editions available exclusively on amazon... source here http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/music-labels-in-secret-plot-to-kill-off-cds--1039130 the site doesn't look all that legit to be honest but steven williams from the band power quest was talking about it and he is a very knowledgeable man
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 pm

I'll believe it if Sony or another major company actually announces it. Until then I think I won't hold my breath. All these articles link back to or quote Sideline ,who as I noted, has no official source. Sony may have their own distribution service (that nobody has heard of except Nate) and Amazon's out there. EMI may have a deal with iTunes, but it still doesn't quite click. So far we still only have one article (on SideLine), and two rewrites of the same article (the ones Rock and Armeck linked).

The Amazon exclusivity deal smacks of ... fantasy... as well. Unless they're truely trying to pull something over on someone, putting all their eggs in Amazon's basket for solid media is just a poor business decision, and places like Barnes and Nobel, Hastings, Best Buy Target and Walmart would probably have something to say to a move like that, regardless how much Amazon can move product digitally or physically.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby bakura91 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 am

That would be terrible for me. I have an ipod but I get my music from cds mostly. I mainly just use Itunes for podcasts (free). And they're cracking down on torrent sites Imagine If the Only option for buying music was Online, I could Not afford that, I can't afford a new computer right now anyway.
bakura91

Postby Gigavine » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 pm

bakura91 (post: 1517253) wrote:That would be terrible for me. I have an ipod but I get my music from cds mostly. I mainly just use Itunes for podcasts (free). And they're cracking down on torrent sites Imagine If the Only option for buying music was Online, I could Not afford that, I can't afford a new computer right now anyway.

Exactly bakura. Despite most iTunes prices being lower, this canceling of the production of CDs would be unfair to those who cannot afford a computer with constant Internet access. In other words, they would be better off just paying ten dollars for a CD or maybe even an audio tape. :)
Gigavine

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Are you serious? I think that sucks since I love CD packaging! I love the lyric book (and I can trust it's 100% accurate) and the pretty pictures and artwork! I know digital releases sometimes includes all this, but I'd HATE to have to print all that myself. It wastes color ink, and that's expensive. Yes, I get lots of my tunes from iTunes, Amazon, and Jamendo, but I also like buying full albums as well in CD form. And sometimes burning a CD messes up the track, and you have to reburn it. Such a hassle...

Hopefully this is just rumor and not true. I like legit, high quality, physical copies.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Wallachia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't buy music often, but I like having physical copies of stuff I've paid money for so I can put it on a shelf. If CDs really disappear, it'll be pretty depressing.

Wallachia

Postby seaglass27 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Archive binging is fun.
seaglass27

Postby ADXC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Gravedig.

Anyway, CDs still seem to be around where I am.
ADXC

Postby seaglass27 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm

ADXC (post: 1578946) wrote:Gravedig.

That was the point.
seaglass27

Postby ADXC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Which is against the rules, you realize?
ADXC

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Thread locked, and consider this an official warning. Gravedigging is considered posting in any thread older than 4 months without suitable new input provided. Randomly digging up old threads that aren't in Goof Off would also be considered spamming as well.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Return to Jam Session