What do you think this song is about?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

What do you think this song is about?

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Erm, I hope it's alright I made a new thread just for this, but it was kind of different from the rate the song above you thing considering I'm not asking for it to be rated. I was listening to the song Let It Burn by Red and I decided to look up the lyrics on a song meanings site. In the comments a lot of the people said that song was aimed at God or Jesus since Red is a Christian band and I'm sorry, but I don't like that at all. The song is very accusing and one of being decieved (in my opinion). Why would they sing about God that way? I really like this song and always took it as the singer talking to someone who had been close to him and betrayed him. I hope this isn't stupid or to much to ask for, but would you lovely ladies and gentleman mind giving the song a listen and telling me what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riV0Rykkmo8
TopazRaven

Postby EndearingHotaru » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 pm

I love Red!!!!!!!!!!! :) They are indeed a Christian band, but they're songs are more "under-cover", I suppose you could say. They aren't like most Christian rock bands whom aim it straight at the Lord in praise, instead Red aim for the darker feelings humans have. Like being lost, lonely, being deceived by the Devil or lost within your own sins and darkness (Faceless). I can't really explain it, but they aren't straightforward like most Christian bands. :P

Anyways, I've listened to the song and read the lyrics a couple of times and yes, I must agree, it is aimed at God. Think of it this way: what do we think, even as Believers, when something bad happens like bombing, murders, etc. what is the first thing that comes to mind? why does God let this happen? That's sort of how I view this song. It's hard to explain, but I see them as expressing what people always ask. My grandfather died, why did God let that happen? My brother lost his leg in war, why did God let that happen? Why doesn't God just come back already? Why doesn't God just save us all from this pain?

You know what I mean? Well, anyways, I think that's what this song is about. Like I said, Red seem to aim for the more emotional aspect of things. Of course, you may not agree, they could be meaning it for Satan, but this is just my thoughts. :)
ImageImageImage ImageImage
EndearingHotaru

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, here's my take:
While some of the wording is quite what I would use, I think all of the questions in the song are questions every christian has asked God at one point or another. The song is being sung in the midst of the burnning, so it's in present tense and the answers to the questions haven't been given yet. When times are hard, and even downright unbearable, it seems like God isn't loving, and that He's just playing a game with us. And sometimes it's not until long after the nightmare is over that we realize what He was doing was for good.
David (KJV) wrote:Psa 13:1 How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?

Psa 13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, [having] sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?

Psa 13:3 Consider [and] hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the [sleep of] death] those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.

Psa 13:5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.

Psa 13:6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.
This is a similar song, and like Red's, it doesn't end on a happy note either. David never says his trial is over, just that he will sing to and praise God because God hath dealt bountifully with him, hath being the past tense.

And so I think the song going unanswered is good, cause if they guy's problem was solved by the end of the song it wasn't such a trial after all, and he's just a wimp for going down so fast. n_n
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Yes, but then why does the song ask 'are you afraid?' Why would God be afraid? What about the fighting and walking away part? I don't know. I realize people get angry at God all the time and ask questions like these, but I don't like accusing or blaming God for things. I guess I just kind of have a weird way of thinking. I've never had a moment where I really blamed God for the terrible things that happen in this world. I've had moments where I've begged for protection out of fear for certain things I won't mention here. I've even calmly asked God to end the suffering of others and asked why He was letting it last for so long. I've never actually lashed out angrily at Him yet and I hope I never do. It made me flinch even in the Old Testament when people were angry with God and lashing out at Him. Thanks for clearing things up for me though guys, it really helped and I appreciate it! I think Red and most Christian rock songs are ambiguous enough for people to make their own meaning so I'm probably just going to stick to my own lame completely inaccurate interpretation because I'd rather not connect this awesome song to ranting at God. Told you I'm strange. Heh, funny story. Before I was a Christian and didn't know Red, Skillet and Lifehouse where Christian bands I thought Pieces, Whispers in the Dark and Everything were love songs. Then someone was like, you know those are about God and not a girl right and I was like, wait what? :lol: I'm so dumb when it comes to understanding the true meaning of a song I swear.
TopazRaven

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Haha, I think your interprentation is just as valid. My approach was making the assumption the song was about God, but the only way to really know is talk to the artist. I wish that was easy to do, since I usually don't like theorizing about stuff. I just want to know what it really is. >_</)
Thanks for reminding me about my Red album, btw! I need to stick it back onto my mp3 player. n。n~♫
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 am

No problem. Thanks for answering my strange questions! Heh, I feel the same way about some songs. On the song meaning site there are a lot of arguments between people about what the songs are about, especially by Christian bands. Sometimes I wish the artist would just come out and say, "this song means ________!" Though I've heard most bands actually want people to come up with their own interpretation so maybe that is why they don't usually talk about it?
TopazRaven

Postby EndearingHotaru » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 am

Haha, that's alright. Mine was just a jabbing guess, but I'm torn between that and him lashing out at Satan, maybe. Because Satan deceives us all the time and makes it seem like he is the one who offers us safety and protection; so when everything starts burning, we ask why he isn't helping us. But he's the one who's causing it. I don't know, that does bother me a little about Christian rock, their meanings are never fully understood. Red, Flyleaf, We As Human, etc. I love all those guys but I get so frustrated trying to grasp the concept of the song. :P So anyways, yeah I know what you mean! I just wish the artists would give like a huge explanation of the song or something. But I'm sure they don't on purpose because they want us to make our own presumptions. And with the non-Christian thinking the songs were talking about a girl, my friend did that! Except, she's a Christian. It was a song by Disciple and she was like, "That's a rather odd thing to say to a girl, don't you think?" I was like, "Um, he's not talking about a girl. . . " Haha. :)
ImageImageImage ImageImage
EndearingHotaru

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 am

:lol: Yeah...I did that with quite a few songs by Red and Skillet as well as All Around Me by Flyleaf and a few songs by Lifehouse. I tend to see them as having a duel meaning now. If I see them being used in an AMV then I'll tend to see it as the video-maker interpreted it. Otherwise I remember the songs are probably about God. xD
TopazRaven

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Though I've heard most bands actually want people to come up with their own interpretation so maybe that is why they don't usually talk about it?
Nah, it's because most bands don't know what they are singing about themselves!!
ごめん!ごめん!じょだんをだった!「Sorry! Sorry! It was a joke!」
Rusty Claymore

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:34 am

Well it sounds like it could be directed at God... and that was my first impression and still is. It's fine if that's what it is about... I've felt the same or similar at certain low points. And so did people in the bible (Psalm 88). It's good to be honest with your feelings, even in the worst of times.

But not ALL of Red's songs are about God or anything. Another song from the same album (my personal favorite of theirs... not really a big Red fan but I like this song) is "Hymn for the Missing". Forcing a Christian slant to it doesn't work really. The song is not God talking to someone and it's not someone talking to God. It makes no sense sung fully from either point of view. It is what it is... a hymn for the missing. And the band members actually said that song was just a song written about those who've lost someone or whatever. Nothing religious about it at all. And my personal interpretation on that particular song is someone looking for their lost inner child or something like that.

But anyway... Unless the song is obvious about what it's about, I try not to hold it too closely under a magnifying glass and see what makes it a "Christian" song cause some times it just simply isn't one and was never meant to be. It was just a song made by Christians in a band. Or just interpret it in the way that feels best to you :D
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Return to Jam Session