[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Is there any genre of music that would widely be considered "evil" - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Is there any genre of music that would widely be considered "evil"

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Is there any genre of music that would widely be considered "evil"

Postby bakura91 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 am

I just watched some old Christian documentaries on the "evils of rock" and Im wondering if the mainstream majority of Christians still hold the view that rock no matter what the lyrical content is sinful?
bakura91

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 am

Personally I don't think it's sinful. I enjoy all kinds of different music. It all depends on who you talk to. Some consider all music to be of the devil no matter what it is.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 am

I don't think there are any real statistics, but I think that it is safe to say that the majority of Christians do not. There is definitely a vocal minority, though.
Cognitive Gear

Postby bakura91 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1491867) wrote:I don't think there are any real statistics, but I think that it is safe to say that the majority of Christians do not. There is definitely a vocal minority, though.

Yeah thats what I thought aren't those guys also usually the King James "ONLY" crowd as well?
bakura91

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am

I fail to see how notes on a scale played by an instrument can be "evil".

Lyrics can get kind of "lolwut" sometimes but music in and of itself? Not so much.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah thats what I thought aren't those guys also usually the King James "ONLY" crowd as well?

Not necessarily, but they do tend to be the more rule heavy crowd (KJV only would probably provide significant overlap but I'm pretty sure there're some KJVO churches that don't mind rock music, and I'm positive that there are non KJVO churches that are against rock.)

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am

You guys, I am pretty sure it's been scientifically established that crunkcore is and has been the only musical genre even close to approaching moral bankruptcy.
Fish and Chips

Postby armeck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm

the genre that i hear people gripe the most about (for moral reasons) i metalcore/screamo
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Well, there are some rappers who glorify killing, pimping, and other crimes. I'd certainly call that evil.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm

But at that point you're still only talking about the lyrics of specific songs. There's nothing inheritly evil about Rap as a genre, just issues with specific content. Same thing with rock, hip hop and pop. This is the same issue really that anime faces where people take specific content and use it to judge a whole genre or medium.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby bakura91 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Yeah thats what I'm thinking its the Lyrics that contain the message and the music is neutral it just depends on what you use it for.
bakura91

Postby MrKrillz0r » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeah as mech said, the lyrics can be evil, but thats it. Oh, or wait a second.. in metal they sometimes scream right..? Thats evil!!! They may be praising God and leading people to Him, but its evil 'cuz they scream!! You all know that screaming is a sin. Same thing as with rap, they often wear big clothes. Big clothes is a sin.

:D
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 pm

So, honest question for people here. I've seen the sentiment "It's the message/lyrics, and the music itself is not evil." Okay, I agree with this.

However, what about New Age music? It has no lyrics at all, it's all instrumental, and I have heard it called evil before by Christians. Since there's no lyrics, you can't use the "The lyrics are what's wrong, not the music" explanation. So what is your response in this situation?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Nate (post: 1491936) wrote:So, honest question for people here. I've seen the sentiment "It's the message/lyrics, and the music itself is not evil." Okay, I agree with this.

However, what about New Age music? It has no lyrics at all, it's all instrumental, and I have heard it called evil before by Christians. Since there's no lyrics, you can't use the "The lyrics are what's wrong, not the music" explanation. So what is your response in this situation?

My response is the same as my first post in this thread. I fail to see how notes on a scale played by instruments can be "evil" in and of themselves.

New Age musicians might have some ideas that don't line up with Christianity, but the music itself is more or less neutral because it's just music. I mean, sure, it can relax you, but since when is being relaxed an evil or sinful thing?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Edward » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Justin Bieber. The only way that kid could be so popular is if he had the devil's help.

Either that, or millions of people just have poor taste in music. :P
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Nate (post: 1491936) wrote:However, what about New Age music? It has no lyrics at all, it's all instrumental, and I have heard it called evil before by Christians. Since there's no lyrics, you can't use the "The lyrics are what's wrong, not the music" explanation. So what is your response in this situation?

Well it depends on their reason. In some cases ShiHi's response is appropriate.

If their response is any of these:

Born of eastern mysticism
Was born out of black arts’ music
Is used in black arts.
No melody.
It emphasizes emotions and experience
Causes a type of hypnotic state.
Repetition and no words discourages critical thinking and reasoning.
Discordant rhythms discourage organization and encourage chaos of mind.

You may be dealing with someone who cannot be reasoned with. They're working with an alternate reality that you probably don't live in, and you'll have to deconstruct that alternate understanding before you can persuade them otherwise.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeah, one of my old Sunday School teachers was one of those people who think Christian rock/rap/whatever is wrong because they are trying to be "too much like the world." We had some debates about this several times before I gave up b/c I found that he wasn't going to change his mind.

My thoughts are that each person has different musical tastes --and we should enjoy the diversity available in different genres (whatever one/ones we enjoy.)

See the "Houseplant Song" by Audio Adrenaline:
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 pm

I do believe that the lyrics can have a brainwashing effect on people. But that requires for the song to be listened to many, many times. And even so, I think it helps amplify a desire that is already there.
Hiryu

Postby armeck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 am

what about that binaural beat music that messes with your brain and can be made to mimic the effects of drugs, i do believe some people would/do call that evil
armeck

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 am

I've tried some of that but it didn't work. Still, it probably wouldn't have anywhere near the effect drugs would have. I've heard it's best used for putting the brain into different states like relaxation or alertness. (Edit: If it even works to begin with...)
Ante Bellum

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

armeckthefirst (post: 1491986) wrote:what about that binaural beat music that messes with your brain and can be made to mimic the effects of drugs

[[color="MediumTurquoise"]citation needed[/color]]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

bakura91 (post: 1491865) wrote:I just watched some old Christian documentaries on the "evils of rock" and Im wondering if the mainstream majority of Christians still hold the view that rock no matter what the lyrical content is sinful?

Just a silly question: It wasn't called "Rock: It's Your Decision" was it? That's a propaganda film that Brad Jones of thatguywiththeglasses.com reviewed. It's about a teenager who gets an intervention from a preacher and basically loses all his free will and starts spouting anti-rock rhetoric that isn't defended even once in the video. So they fail.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby armeck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:57 am

Ante Bellum (post: 1491992) wrote:I've tried some of that but it didn't work. Still, it probably wouldn't have anywhere near the effect drugs would have. I've heard it's best used for putting the brain into different states like relaxation or alertness. (Edit: If it even works to begin with...)

ShiroiHikari (post: 1491995) wrote:[[color="MediumTurquoise"]citation needed[/color]]

okay guys okay. i should've started that it is SUPPOSED to mimic the effects of drugs however there is much debate on weather or not it does. some people insist it does where as other people claim it doesn't work
armeck

Postby seaglass27 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:24 pm

My family is extremely conservative and my parents hate all rock music (I see no problem with it if it's clean) and in the circles we run in their view is pretty much shared by all the adults and mine is shared by all the other teens. Also, if you listen to the VCY radio network it seems like they're constantly bashing rock music. They even dropped a really solid pastor's radio program for having the Doxology played softly and slowly on an acoustic guitar for his show's opening theme. So, yes, many people still believe all rock is evil.
seaglass27

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 pm

I think that it your music is made from the screams of people being tortured and killed, that would be pretty evil.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 am

Kaligraphic (post: 1498067) wrote:I think that it your music is made from the screams of people being tortured and killed, that would be pretty evil.

Well that was disturbing...
seaglass27

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 am

Kaligraphic (post: 1498067) wrote:I think that it your music is made from the screams of people being tortured and killed, that would be pretty evil.

Otaku Jordan (post: 1498119) wrote:Well that was disturbing...

Well, Kaligraphic is pretty disturbing...:lol: I'm just kidding. xD I'd only consider music evil if like Kali said it was made from human suffering (is there any such music?) or it's just generally about mass murder or something. I heard a really freakish song about some dude killing a group of people in a bar once. It was creepy as all heck and gave me nightmares for a week.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:55 pm

there is some death metal that i consider evil (note. i said SOME i don't want to start a debate here)
armeck

Postby bakura91 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:35 am

rocklobster (post: 1492194) wrote:Just a silly question: It wasn't called "Rock: It's Your Decision" was it? That's a propaganda film that Brad Jones of thatguywiththeglasses.com reviewed. It's about a teenager who gets an intervention from a preacher and basically loses all his free will and starts spouting anti-rock rhetoric that isn't defended even once in the video. So they fail.

Lol that was hilarious I Love that guy with glasses! I saw the review but I haven't seen RIYD.
bakura91

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm

armeckthefirst (post: 1498167) wrote:there is some death metal that i consider evil (note. i said SOME i don't want to start a debate here)

But is it because of the lyrics or the tune itself?

Words can be evil. I think a lot of things said by Hitler can qualify as evil.

Music being... music, I don't think that it in and of itself can be evil.
Atria35

Next

Return to Jam Session