Who sounds more appealing? Male or Female singers/artists?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Who sounds more appealing? Male or Female singers/artists?

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 am

Hello guys~♪ ♫

It seems that sometimes people favor male or female singers more than the other gender. Or they like the singer depending on the song and genre of the music/song.

So who do you prefer? Male or female singers?
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 am

I tend to listen to mostly male singers (possibly because they tend to sing the kind of stuff I like), but I am open to the idea of both.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nami » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 am

To me, it really depends. I mean, I honestly can't stand some girls voices and some guys I just want to rip out their vocal cords. XD So it definitely depends on the singer/the lyrics and the meaning the song holds for me or how it inspires me. ^_^
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 am

Female metal vocalists are awesome.

Just saying.
Yamamaya

Postby Xeno » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 am

Yamamaya (post: 1486254) wrote:Female metal vocalists are awesome.

Just saying.

This.

If I'm listening to rock or trance/house I usually prefer female vocals, but sometimes male vocals are exactly what the song needs.
Xeno

Postby Princess Kairi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

It really all depends on the song and who's singing, but it's easier for me to sing along with female singers because I'm a high singer. If I try to sing something that is too low for me, it just sounds bad and that is usually when a guy is singing.
Princess Kairi

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I can appreciate either. Which one I prefer mostly depends on the instrumentals and song subject.

Depending on how they're accompanied, high female voices can have an airy, pretty quality to them. On the other hand, I love to hear guys' voices; they have a kind of strength or mellowness to them, I think?

Then there's the song's subject. Sometimes guys singing sadly come off as whiny to me. And girls constantly complaining about their boyfriend (or ex, or ex's girlfriend, or ex's ex, or whatever) just grate on my nerves after a while. (Seriously, half the time they sound childish.)

So there are times when I like each. But even better than female or male vocals alone, I like them together. Duets with both male and female singers can be wonderful, and I love them when done well.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Both. XD I listen to a wide variety of both male and female singers, and it really depends more on the quality of that singer's voice for me than it does for whether or not they're male or female.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby armeck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm

i don't prefer either really, allthough me being a guy and all i usually have an easier time relating to the lyrics of a male writer rather than a female writer.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby acgifford » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm

I like both of course! :D Both men and women are talented and I respect their talent equaly.:3
[color="Lime"]"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Psalm32: 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.[/color]
Proud member of MOES!! You better believe I have no scrolling.^_~
[color="Blue"]Doctor Who fan!! [/color]:jump:
[color="Yellow"]"Dare to read, think, speak and write." John Adams[/color]
[color="Pink"]Proud Member of the SisterHoos! ^^[/color]
[color="Red"]Vash the Stampede: I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.[/color]
acgifford

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Both. But there are more female singers I like than male. But just by a few.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I like both equally. I think I listen to more guy bands (because there are so few all-girl bands out there!) but I listen to more female artists.
Atria35

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:49 pm

To be honest, neither sound appealing to me.

I prefer music where you don't have to soil it with vocals and lyrics, but instead just have pure orchestration. :P
ADXC

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:20 pm

I like both singers, even instrumental. It doesn't matter to me much which gender of the song is singing, so long I like the song.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 pm

I like both, but I tend to sway towards female singers/artist more ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:26 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1486299) wrote:So there are times when I like each. But even better than female or male vocals alone, I like them together. Duets with both male and female singers can be wonderful, and I love them when done well.

This.

I chose female, because there are way more female singers that I would call "pretty," and thus, appealing. The thing is, I think male voices generally sound stronger than female voices, so they often do better with louder songs, screaming, rap, and "raw" singing (the way I like to classify bands like Three Days Grace or Godsmack). Female voices, on the other hand, generally have a more...mellifluous quality to their voice, if you will. They often do better with quieter, "pretty" songs. Come to think of it, the way men and women's voices are created is rather similar to the roles God created us to fill...but I digress.

Of course, whenever you generalize, there are going to be exceptions, but I decided to draw the line and say that I find female voices more appealing, when you take them by themselves. I think I probably listen to more male singing because I love rock (and let's face it, there are just more male lead singers in rock than female ones), but a lot of the effect of their voices is lessened when you take away the music. (Remember, I'm just speaking generally.)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby armeck » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:50 pm

that is an excellent point you made. leigh nash or lacey mosely's voice alone would give me chills, but i can't say the same thing about mark hoppus or adam agee
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Aaron Marsh, Andrew Bird, Sufjan Stevens, Fleet Foxes, Ace Enders, Anathallo, Band of Horses, Belle & Sebastian, Jónsi, Sigur Rós, Lydia, Stars, Tyler Ramsey, and many, many more.

These are artists/bands that you can/ought to listen to to find men who have either soft voices/voices that aren't "raw" or super strong. XD This is only a very small sample, but are all very good and highly recommended. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:38 pm

This is so hard, considering male artists are so great, but female Japanese artist always get with their voice.

Both, but I voted male without thinking >__<
SincerelyAnomymous

Return to Jam Session