Mainstream music: Your thoughts.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1482952) wrote:If it makes you feel any better, I was raised in a household where I specifically remember being told (in my younger years) that saying, "the lyrics don't matter, all I care about is the beat" was somehow a bad thing to do. XD Of course, later I was taught that thinking critically is hugely important, and as such I've grown up to enjoy a huge range of music, and not all of it is perfectly clean. I'd say a good 25-30% of the music I listen to (if not more) has "f-bombs," sexual references, drug references, or something inappropriate in it, and yet it's well-written music that I honestly enjoy, while still being a follower of Christ, and also while not being promiscuous, a drug addict, or someone who even uses a lot of language in conversation. I think it's very freeing to be able to listen to/watch/read something and, understanding all of the content within, realize that what I listen to doesn't define my relationship with Him, and I can more or less choose whether or not I want to let anything I listen to effect me in a positive or negative way.

YES. This is me XD But you know, a really obvious solution to some of those problems with lyrics is to just edit them out and carry on listening. It can be quite easy to do with free programs like Audacity - snip snip, and presto! No f-bombs! XD

That being said, I have actually had to get rid of a few songs because they were trashing up my mind. Not so much in the oh-they're-singing-about-drugs-how-cool-now-I'm-gonna-go-abuse-them-too way; they'd just make me think about the wrong things. But those songs are thankfully few and far between in the songs I like.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Gojira » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm

I think it's underwhelming. Everything sounds too similar, and I like variety.
Gojira

Previous

Return to Jam Session