Mainstream music: Your thoughts.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Mainstream music: Your thoughts.

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 am

What's jammin' guys!♫♪(Lol, no pun intended)

So far as I see from everyone's good music taste in this fourm, it seems that most of you aren't interested in mainstream music that much(Neither do I); meaning songs from famous artists that are popular by millions of people.

I just want to know what is your opinion of mainstream music(and maybe other mainstream things besides music). Do you dislike it with a passion or have mixed views about it?
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 am

Eh... Mixed. I mean, there are plenty of mainstream songs out there that I dislike because of my beliefs, but there's also mainstream music that's a-okay to listen to. Some artists even come up with songs songs that are good to listen as well as come up with songs that are the exact opposite (I.e. Katy Perry.) So I don't really hate or love mainstream music.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby armeck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 am

I think disliking music because a lot of people like it is ridiculous. However a lot of the music i listen to isn't real popular
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Xeno » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 am

I find the term "mainstream" music to be funny. Most bands/artists/whatever do what they do so they get air play and make money, thus being mainstream is kind of a goal for these people. I don't much care for the current set of pop artists and all, but I can listen to them from time to time if they're on the radio. I tend tot listen to either electronica or alternative rock (which includes mainstream bands such as Paramore, Jimmy Eat World, and the Foo Fighters).
Xeno

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 am

I listen to anything as long as it has a catchy rhythm, tune, and words. Mainsteam just means a lot of people like it- and a lot of people liking it doesn't mean that it's bad. I mean, that would be like saying FMA was bad because a lot of people liked it.

I go through periods where I like a lot of music that's mainstream, and periods where I don't.
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 am

I only listen to mainstream music ironically. B|

But really, I don't care too much. I like what I like whether its mainstream or not, although the tendency seems to be that the less mainstream something is, the more intelligent and poetic the lyrics are.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 am

LadyRushia (post: 1482224) wrote:I only listen to mainstream music ironically. B|

But really, I don't care too much. I like what I like whether its mainstream or not, although the tendency seems to be that the less mainstream something is, the more intelligent and poetic the lyrics are.

I officially love you for using that meme.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of mainstream music. I've noticed it tends to be of a lower quality than more underground musical acts. I find it to be overly repetitive and it relies more on image than on talent. (Case in point, Lady Gaga. There's no way she would be as popular as she is now if she went around dressed like any normal pop star). That being said, I dislike it when people hate on a band just because it's mainstream.

Also it shouldn't surprise people that folks on this board like different types of music. I mean we already like dem Chinese cartoons(tm) so it would make sense logically if we were into other stuff that tends not to get much notice.
Yamamaya

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1482224) wrote:I only listen to mainstream music ironically. B|

YESSSSSS.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me. XD I like what I consider to be good music. A great deal of the music I listen to happens to be indie or something more "underground," simply because a lot of artistic styles and songs get ignored because they aren't "radio friendly," or don't fit into a three-minute radio spot. I'd love hearing a radio station play Sufjan Stevens's 29-minute monster of a song, "Impossible Soul," for instance. XD And even Jimmy Eat World, while they certainly had their really big hits, are hugely underrated as a band.

But just because some music happens to be mainstream doesn't mean I won't like it. XD I love Janelle Monáe, for instance, and surprise, I think OutKast is pretty awesome. XD I really like what I've heard from Adele (though I fear she may become overplayed), and I still love Anberlin, even though they're definitely classified as mainstream rock now. XD

So yeah. Suffice it to say, I like music that's well done, especially when it plays to my tastes. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 pm

I dislike mainstream music not because it's mainstream, but because it mostly sucks and/or doesn't appeal to me. I like a lot of stuff that USED to be mainstream though, like ABBA and the Bee Gees and Micheal Jackson and the Carpenters. Does that count...?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MrKrillz0r » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Depends on what you mean with mainstream, if you mean what they play on the radio I dislike it a lot. First of all its 99% of the music is bad, second of all it usually promote things like lust, greed and a lot of other bad stuff.

In all honesty I dislike songs with wack lyrics that promote bad things and just bad in general, which often happen to be the case with "mainstream" music. Although I'm pretty sure my view on mainstream might be a bit different from others...
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Oh and

ADXC

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I mid as well just admit mainstream music is a bit of a guiltly pleasure of mine, especially Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. I'll usually switch between several different radio stations while in the car until I find a song I approve of. I do like some lesser known artist to. Or in least I think they're lesser known. I honestly don't pay attention to popularity. I just like what I like I guess.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Like TopazRaven, I don't pay attention to popularity (at least, I usually don't know if an artist on my country station is popular outside the genre). I liked Taylor Swift before Fearless and Speak Now came out, before the Jonas Brothers thing, before she became a "celebrity". And I still like her music (though not as much, but for reasons other than her popularity).

If it's not Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, I don't know for sure if it's mainstream or not. I know somethings that are popular among certain groups, but I don't know when an artist or band is loved by the general public.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:35 pm

MrKrillz0r (post: 1482320) wrote:Depends on what you mean with mainstream, if you mean what they play on the radio I dislike it a lot. First of all its 99% of the music is bad, second of all it usually promote things like lust, greed and a lot of other bad stuff.

In all honesty I dislike songs with wack lyrics that promote bad things and just bad in general, which often happen to be the case with "mainstream" music. Although I'm pretty sure my view on mainstream might be a bit different from others...

I consider this more intellectual laziness. If all a band(or rap artist) does is sing about sex and money I will generally look down on them as a musical act.

Be more creative, don't just sing about certain subject matters. It does annoy me when bands write songs like that.
Yamamaya

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Corrie wrote:Janelle Monáe

I love her. This is the perfect chance for me to demand everyone to watch this video right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnefUaKCbc

Seriously, she's mainstream and classy. You don't see that a lot.

Flmtl Novelist wrote:I liked Taylor Swift before Fearless and Speak Now came out, before the Jonas Brothers thing, before she became a "celebrity".

:3

One thing I've noticed is that everybody's a little bit hipster, especially in college.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Generally, I don't pay attention to what is and isn't popular. I just listen to what I enjoy, and am pleased when I discover that they have become very popular.

I haven't ever been a fan of Gaga, as I sort of just hand-waved her as another manufactured pop-star who dressed bizarrely for attention. Recently though, I was linked to this interview with Stephen Fry (warning: swearing), which shows that she actually is fairly intelligent and very serious about her art and message, which at the very least forces me to reconsider her music. I haven't done that yet, but now I am willing.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Xeno » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:47 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1482345) wrote:Like TopazRaven, I don't pay attention to popularity (at least, I usually don't know if an artist on my country station is popular outside the genre). I liked Taylor Swift before Fearless and Spea-

Yo, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce....oh wait, what were we talking about?
Xeno

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 am

Wow, from all of everyone posts here, I agree with you all a lot.

I don't usually listen to mainstream music currently because I feel that they are pretty unoriginal and it's not much my taste. The songs are just typical love songs or partying, and all those other stuff. Artists sometimes uses other songs to make up their own songs and people automatically like them because of the artist and not the original source of the song it comes from (Ex. Beyonce's new song "We Run the Worls (Girls)). It seems that people like the artist's music based on their image, not the songs itself (Ex. Justin Bieber -__-)

I don't mind if you are fan of a mainstream artist and I don't automatically dislike something because it's popular. But sometimes the fans of the mainstream music can be insane of it, now you wonder why people who doesn't like mainstream music looks down on them.

When it comes to music for me, I still like pop and other types, so long it's catchy and doesn't sound that annoying, I would still like and fave the song, mainstream or not.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Edward » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:51 am

I guess I'm like most people who have posted here: I like what I like and I don't really pay attention to popularity.

Yamamaya (post: 1482248) wrote:That being said, I dislike it when people hate on a band just because it's mainstream.

I really can't stand people who think they are better than others just because they listen to music that's 'underground'. I could rant on and on about how much I can't stand genre elitism, but I don't want to get off topic.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Depends... generally, I hate it. I can't think of a mainstream artist that's come along in a while I'd even consider a guilty pleasure. Most of the stuff is R&B and Hiphop of some sort and I can't stand any of that stuff. Pop is a little more tolerable but yeah. I usually never bother to turn the radio on anymore so... if I'm going to listen to music, I'll play my ipod or a CD... cause then I know I'll love the music... and nothing I love even comes close to be playing on the radio. I'm told metal is a lot more popular in Europe so maybe my tastes over there aren't so "underground". Most of the bands I like come from European countries anyway. And really, if anyone is familiar with the European metal scene, most are quite well known and wouldn't be considered underground at all.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1482506) wrote: And really, if anyone is familiar with the European metal scene, most are quite well known and wouldn't be considered underground at all.

That depends. Metal is huge in Finland, but probably your average European isn't going to know all the metal bands out there.
Yamamaya

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm

I said anyone familiar with European metal... not any European...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1482248) wrote:I find it to be overly repetitive and it relies more on image than on talent. (Case in point, Lady Gaga. There's no way she would be as popular as she is now if she went around dressed like any normal pop star). That being said, I dislike it when people hate on a band just because it's mainstream.
I'm trying to figure out how a normal pop star dresses and it's not coming to me. XDD]do know[/I] who she is).
I could write a whole spiel on why she, while odd, actually does have talent (based on music history, interviews, and my own observations). But I doubt many of you would give a carp. XDD;;

I tend to discover music through AMVs, strangely enough. Or the radio. But more the former than the latter. If I like the song, I'll look up the artist/band. And sometimes it may be that I'll only like that one song, or sometimes I'll find an artist/band that I can be a fan of. A lot of those songs tend to be mainstream-ish, but sometimes they're not. It's nice to get a wide variety. :3
goldenspines

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:43 pm

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1482513)"]I could write a whole spiel on why she, while odd, actually does have talent (based on music history, interviews, and my own observations). But I doubt many of you would give a carp. XDD]

Yeah, I remember seeing a video somewhere of her just singing with a piano, and she has a really great voice (also didn't she like, graduate from Julliard or something?). XD She definitely has talent, and though her music trends these days haven't been to my liking, she's absolutely not the worst pop artist out there. XD

I believe that award belongs to Ke$ha. XDD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 pm

I listen to Touhou death metal. That makes me way more underground than you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9p3t-QGvk&feature=related
Yamamaya

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1482520) wrote:Yeah, I remember seeing a video somewhere of her just singing with a piano, and she has a really great voice (also didn't she like, graduate from Julliard or something?). XD She definitely has talent, and though her music trends these days haven't been to my liking, she's absolutely not the worst pop artist out there. XD

I believe that award belongs to Ke$ha. XDD
I need one of those silly "like" icons. But for now, you get a thumbs up from me. o.o-b
goldenspines

Postby TheMewster » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Xeno (post: 1482476) wrote:Yo, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce....oh wait, what were we talking about?

OK, where is the 'like' button for that post? :?:
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby ich1990 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:14 pm

I like music with lyrical complexity, stylistic originality, and/or melancholy overtones not inspired by an acquisition or lack of a romantic partner.

So, yeah, I don't listen to much mainstream music.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm

ich1990 (post: 1482554) wrote:I like music with lyrical complexity, stylistic originality, and/or melancholy overtones not inspired by an acquisition or lack of a romantic partner.

So, yeah, I don't listen to much mainstream music.

Radiohead, while well-loved by indie fans and hipsters everywhere (self included), is pretty mainstream, as far as well-known music goes. XD I hope you're including them in the small window of "not much" you left in this post, since they embody literally every quality you listed up there. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Lol, you know I'm noticing a bit of distatse for love songs in this thread. Why? Love is awesome! :lol: Though, maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a bit of a romantic, deep down...somewhere.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Next

Return to Jam Session