Voice Lessons?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Voice Lessons?

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri May 06, 2011 4:52 pm

I've been wanting to take voice lessons, but I'm such a shy singer, even though I sing on tone and key and everything. I admit that if I sing too high, though, that my voice will break, and that's one reason why I want to take voice lessons. I used to love singing when I was younger until I was about 10 or 11. Then I didn't really like singing infront of anyone. It sounds silly, but I want to get as good as an opera singer when I'm older, but I'm not sure I'll be able to if I can't even sing infront of my own mom. Any tips on how to get rid of that shyness, other than just to suck it up and sing?
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Do you have any stuffed animals and/or dolls ^^? Maybe, you can sit them near one antoher like in an audience and practice singing in front of them ^^ Try this a couple times. Remember to pretend that they are an actual crowd ^^ Then, maybe you can try singing in front of your mom and then gradually increase in audience ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Maledicte » Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Voice lessons are an especially good idea. I was lucky to have a good teacher who pushed me to sing higher - she said I'd been limiting myself by singing alto for so long and that my voice could handle it, and she was right. Doing warm-up exercises that keep going higher and higher (arpeggios, and that "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh" that goes from as high as you can possibly go all the way down) will keep your voice from cracking.

For shyness - I'm not sure how to deal with that, other than getting out there. One thing to do is focus on the message of the song you're singing - make it real to you, and you can express it better. Also, a tip for singing in front of audiences is don't look in their eyes - focus on their foreheads. That way it looks like you're looking at them, but you won't be freaked out by trying to read their expressions.
Maledicte

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri May 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Something that might help you get over the shyness is to join a choir or something like that. You can get used to the idea of singing before a crowd without being singled out too much.

Something else that will probably help you is learning how to breathe properly. Knowing where to breathe in a song comes through experience, I think, but you can always try finding some sheet music with "breath marks" to help you get a feel for it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Maledicte » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1477203) wrote:Something that might help you get over the shyness is to join a choir or something like that. You can get used to the idea of singing before a crowd without being singled out too much.

Something else that will probably help you is learning how to breathe properly. Knowing where to breathe in a song comes through experience, I think, but you can always try finding some sheet music with "breath marks" to help you get a feel for it.

Both very good ideas.

And if you can't find sheet music with breath marks, just pay attention to the lyrics of the song. Take breaths where you would if you were speaking normally, such as at the beginning of a new sentence, or before a conjunction (and, but, etc) or phrase.
Maledicte

Postby Strafe » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Develop a very large ego and inflated sense of self and then you can be like me: A bad singer who thinks he's pretty great. I don't have a problem singing at gigs. Although you'd notice that I can't ever sing in front of my Dad, because he's like a legit awesome singer.

Otherwise, take lessons or practice drills and become an actually good singer so that you have valid confidence in your own abilities. Build it up slow and steady, and keep track of your progress. Maybe record yourself singing when no ones home, save it, and listen to it again after a month or so of practice. Those kinds of things help you feel better about how you're progressing and soon enough, you won't be as shy, knowing that you've greatly improved.

A thing about range. Alot of it is Air support, diaphragm breathing and mastering the passagio, or transition between vocal registers, the chest and head voice. You'll learn about those things while taking lessons. NEVER strain yourself to try and sing higher, but rather let it come naturally through practice and patience.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby Ally-Ann » Sun May 08, 2011 5:38 am

Thanks, guys!
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Return to Jam Session