Christian Rap Anyone?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Christian Rap Anyone?

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:32 am

Does anyone listen to Christian Rap/Holy Hip Hop? I'm personally a big fan of this genera. What artists/groups do you like?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:44 am

I'm personally not a huge fan of rap, but that's because of what the songs are usually about. Christian rap may be different for me. I'll have to give it a listen!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:52 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1472623) wrote:I'm personally not a huge fan of rap, but that's because of what the songs are usually about. Christian rap may be different for me. I'll have to give it a listen!

Likewise. I hate secular rap due to the fact most mainly talk about sex, money, drugs, and how good somebody is. But I like christian rap, although I minly prefer christian rock, techno, and gospel.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Vega » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Manifest,lyricks, CL, johnnyphlo, J. Han, Sick Boi, Sam Ock (He mostly sings but he colabs with these guys)
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1472731) wrote:Likewise. I hate secular rap due to the fact most mainly talk about sex, money, drugs, and how good somebody is. But I like christian rap, although I minly prefer christian rock, techno, and gospel.

you need to hear underground rap its much better. Try bus driver

As far as christian rap i lesten to T-bone
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby AtmosBreak » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm actually a big fan of christian rap and HHH (holy hip-hop). I love Lecrae, Tedashii, the whole 116 Clique, Flame, Cross Movement, Braille, Frontlynaz, K-Drama, the list goes on and on. I used to be really into T-Bone but I dunno, not that into him that much anymore.
[INDENT]
"'You are the light of this world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.'

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Light Club"
[/INDENT]
AtmosBreak

Postby Xeno » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:43 pm

There have been a few Lecrae and Manafest songs I've liked, for the most part I'm not a big fan of the genre though.
Xeno

Postby Sheenar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Lecrae, Da Truth and John Reuben (John Reuben especially) are ones I like in the genre. KJ-52 is another good one.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 pm

LOL Yeah, it seems few who really dig it. So far I've only two friends who do. Topaz, I think Atmos gave you an almost artist for artist exact same recommendation as I was going to! The 116 Clique and Reach Records are the best. I would strongly recommend Lecrae and Sho Baraka. Lecrae has some very deep songs that really touch on our spiritual walk. For instance Praying For You. And Sho is superb with his amazing wordplay and sense of humor; We can be more. I'm telling you, with his new album "Lions and Liars" (a must rap album), you can listen to a song over and over and over and come out with something new every time. Now those are some of my favorites in regards to depth and lyrical quality. But there are way too many just too cool songs like Jesus Muzik. And a few more I'd recommend would be Shai Linne for heavier theology and KJ-52 for more fun (but he can be very relevant to the modern youth). Dwayne Tryumf is yet another I like. But there are so many. These guys should really help in getting started with some good, rock solid rappers who aren't about the paper or the fame, just proclaiming the Name of Jesus Christ.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby AtmosBreak » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Dwayne Tryumf, yes I like him too. If you're into british rappers i'd also recommend Jahaziel and Serene. KJ-52 was actually one of the first people I've heard when I first stwrted getting into music as a kid so I really liked him then but not such a big fan anymore.

A couple other guys i forgot to mention were Grits and also Japhia Life. Grits is one of my all time favourites but I do much prefer their older stuff as to their newer songs
[INDENT]
"'You are the light of this world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.'

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Light Club"
[/INDENT]
AtmosBreak

Postby That Dude » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Some of the ones I enjoy are...

Shai Linne - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hLbQKek3Z0

JSon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfIBrzRZeM

Alert - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMcRDzs1Ax4 Free download http://humblebeast.com/alert-red-opus-45-ep/

4th Avenue Jones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpqqf_nilYk

Shad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA

I have a lot more, but those are some good ones that I like. I might post some more later.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:54 am

Oh, I love Christian rap! I really like the way rap sounds, but yeah, too much secular rap is just filled with trash. I really like the way Eminem's voice sounds, for example, and he's great at rhyming, but...yeah, some of those songs are really icky.

I started off with KJ-52, but I don't like him that much anymore. I still like "Guilty," though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKCQ4pRJvo

But after I found Lecrae, KJ-52 just seems really silly and shallow most of the time. I love Lecrae (and the various people he features), because not only does he sound really cool, he has such depth to his lyrics too! My favorite is "Desperate": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnUL7EEzAKQ ("Praying for You" is also awesome.)

A friend of mine who's white, very conservative, and the last person you'd expect to know about rap introduced me to Shai Linne. I'm not terribly fond of the way he sounds (mainly because I'm spoiled with Lecrae), but he does have awesome lyrics. One that really makes me grin is "Spurgeon." Unfortunately, nobody on YouTube seems to agree :(

And one thing I just love about this whole thing is that they can make music videos that look just like those secular ones, only they're...Christian! For example, Trip Lee's "Invasion": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDmidiLxQM&feature=fvwrel
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Ninety7keys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:45 pm

I like listening to DJ Erik, Van Ness Wu, K-praize. You guys should check out this user on YouTube: DJTriune. That user got a lot of good song. Christian, of course. :)
~There is always an open door. So, why stare at the
closed door, while the door of God's love is open?~

[color="Lime"]My favorite book in the Bible: 1. John[/color]

[color="Blue"]Big fan of Van Ness Wu!!![/color]

[SIZE="5"][color="DarkOrchid"]My blog!!![/color][/SIZE]
Ninety7keys

Postby That Dude » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1474057) wrote:A friend of mine who's white, very conservative, and the last person you'd expect to know about rap introduced me to Shai Linne. I'm not terribly fond of the way he sounds (mainly because I'm spoiled with Lecrae), but he does have awesome lyrics. One that really makes me grin is "Spurgeon." Unfortunately, nobody on YouTube seems to agree :(

I just can't get into Lecrea, but I do like Shai Linne a lot, and I also really enjoy "Spurgeon."
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Okami » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:52 pm

KJ-52, while silly most of the time, has hit me with some of his songs, such as #1 Fan, Fanmail, and End of my Rope. I like a few of Lecrae's song, as well as Grits and Manafest. It's not my top listened-to genre by any means, though. But it is nice on occasion. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby MrKrillz0r » Thu May 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Vega I thought I was alone about liking those rappers! High five!
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Christian Rap Fans FTW!!! I think its so awesome we have some rap fans here! Really, I thought I was the only one but I kept thinking someone had to be keeping the rappers in business! XD LOL Guys! So nice to meet fellow rap fans!

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Apologies for the slight gravedig, but this topic caught my eye.
I'm a big fan of Listener and Deepspace Five to name a couple.

I feel like the Christian hip hop scene is viewed as a huge joke because of the highlight artists such as tobyMac or KJ-52.

However, the underground Christian Hip Hop scene has some excellent artists that contribute as well as excellent producers. Deepspace Five is probably my best example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbaK3LloAg
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:02 am

I used to thought I hated rap and hip-hop. Then I realized it was only the secular stuff I didn't like. When I discovered the Christian groups, I was amazed at myself "Oh my, I actually like a Rap/Hip-Hop song?!"

Some of meh faves...

Flame
LeCrae
Group 1 Crew
KJ-52
John Reuben

...just to name a few. The others slip my mind for some reason XD!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Tommy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm

You should check out Deespace Five.

And take back what you said about secular rap.
The new Drake album rules.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby AdriTan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 pm

I like Cristian Rap. I can't remember all the peeps names but here are a few I know of. Toby-Mack, KJ-52 (checkout his song Cartoon Network :P) and from there my mond goes blank..... wait one is coming to mind.... um... shoot.. sheesh my brain ill check later i have a cd.
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

I like all 3 members of DC Talk, both in the stuff they did together, and their solo stuff.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Re: Christian Rap Anyone?

Postby Tigerchu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 am

Tobymac's ok. I'm not too into him, but he's usually the Christian rapper I listen to. I prefer my rappers to spit more.
Tigerchu

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

i prefer my rappers to spit more

What does that even mean?
Tommy

Re:

Postby MrKrillz0r » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 am

Tommy wrote:You should check out Deespace Five.

And take back what you said about secular rap.
The new Drake album rules.

Deepspace Five is sick! Though there is A LOT more to discover as far as (Christian/Positive) underground rap goes. If you are into Deepspace 5 you should definitely check out the youtube channel "sphereofhiphop". They have loads of extremely skilled rappers featuared there
MrKrillz0r

Postby Vega » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I listen to mostly secular rap but I think lecrae is pretty good
Vega

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 am

I think Christian rap is pretty kitschy. There isn't much I listen to but I really like Lupe Fiasco and Immortal Technique. And of course Tupac is a prophet and a poet.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Never thirsty! » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Heath Mcnease, Lacrae, tadashi as in the artist of the song "Dumb" those are my faves
Never thirsty!

Postby FreddyCast » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Tommy wrote:
i prefer my rappers to spit more

What does that even mean?

He means he's more into the lyricism. The lyrical rhyming and flow. The substance of the music more than the beats.
Hey guys, I just uploaded a new youtube vid. Check it out.
Lecrae- I Know (ft. Thi'sl) Remix

And for those in CAA who have never been exposed to Christian rap. I'd suggest you start on my youtube series 50 Greatest Christian Rap Songs
This is one of 5 series I made.

Also, I'd recommend you watch my Eminem vs. Lecrae Series. You'll see the difference between Secular Rap and Christian Rap.
ImageHebrews 13:2 Do not forget/neglect to entertain (show hospitality to) strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
My Manga Story "The Fallen Rise"
GOD'S CREATION, THE FALL OF LUCIFER, & THE RISE OF THE MESSIAH Enter my Channel if you dare
ROMAN CATHOLIC MARIOLATRY Series
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Location: Under Kris-tina's bed or hiding in Wolfsong's tree (you can't find me)

Postby LastLfan » Sat May 11, 2013 4:37 am

I saw toby mac, KJ-52 and a more local rapper humble tip at a concert back in december
LastLfan

Next

Return to Jam Session