Emery's "We Do What We Want"

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Emery's "We Do What We Want"

Postby Okami » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 pm

So, Emery's latest album released on Tuesday. It's known to have some of their most spiritual work to date, as well as some of their hardest and softest work yet.

To me, it feels like an interesting blend of all past full-album projects. It brings back the heavy feel of The Weak's End, the story-telling touch of The Question, the softer aspects of I'm Only a Man, and the melodic tastes of ...In Shallow Seas We Sail.

As a fan of Emery since 2007, starting my collection with The Question, I have quite enjoyed watching Emery as they have progressed and evolved as a band, trying new things but always having that essence of "Emery" to their music. Their variety and realism is what keeps me returning and keeps me satisfied year after year. :thumb: Emery remains to be my favorite band for the fourth year in a row, and I can't wait to see what more they have to offer - whether it be their announced-for-the-fall acoustic album, or new music from The Water and the Well!

The album can be found streaming on AOL's New Music.
Thoughts? Comments? Likes? Dislikes?
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby That Dude » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm loving it. It's one of those albums that it feels like you've been listening to and loving it for years, even though it's fresh and new and you've only listened through it maybe three times.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Okami » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:36 pm

That Dude (post: 1468642) wrote:I'm loving it. It's one of those albums that it feels like you've been listening to and loving it for years, even though it's fresh and new and you've only listened through it maybe three times.

Yeah! That's how I feel, too. Some of the screams they use remind me of a specific song (which, of course, escapes me!) which is either in IOAM or ISSWS and also some of the melodies. As I mentioned in my opening post, all of it just seems to twist into this album that has things that are reminiscent of the previous albums. Which I love.

It feels so familiar, and is easy to get into. Yet it is real and new, and keeps you thinking. I want to say this is going to be one of those albums that years from now I'll sit back and listen to and it will keep me questioning and really thinking about life. ('Fix Me' was quite the unexpected song at the end of the standard album[SIZE="1"]*[/SIZE]! Especially after I Never Got to see the West Coast (lyrically, that is) and it hit me by such a surprise with such a timely message that it brought me to tears. It was needed.)

* - I originally pre-ordered and bought/downloaded the standard edition before finding out there was a deluxe edition. I contacted iTunes and they were gracious enough to refund my original purchase that I could buy the deluxe edition. (Crumbling was worth it and ties off the album well (even though the standard ends with really forcing you to think about the underlying message of the album), but I'm not sure I really like The Curse of Perfect Days' acoustic....maybe it will grow on me in time, though. I feel like the previous deluxe edition acoustic songs have done that! :thumb:)

Devin will be greatly missed. Thankfully Emery's the type of band that can continue on because they've experimented and done well with various different styles to make it work out. Not all bands can pull it off, but Emery certainly has the ability and determination to keep at it, even with the change. :jump:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Return to Jam Session