Childhood Bands (And Guilty Pleasures)

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Childhood Bands (And Guilty Pleasures)

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm

So which childhood bands do you still have a CD of? Sneak a listen to once in a while on Youtube? That you can take a listen to and still say 'Yeah, that song was awesome!' even though that band's heyday is over and that style is so out?

For me, I'm still a fan of S Club 7. Some of my fave songs include
Reach for the stars
Viva la Fiesta
(note: some of the girls do wear tube tops/workout gear.)

And then I also still have a thing for The Spice Girls.
Stop
Viva Forever
(note: I recommend searching for the 'lyrics' videos since they did have a habit of wearing skimpy clothing. I posted vids that had them more toned-down.)

And then B*Witched was also one of my faves!
C'est la Vie
Blame it on the Weatherman[/link]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G0qGSKYwys]I Shall Be There

(note: Some tube tops appear again)

*Note: I hate to say this, but if you're 14 or under, please try to keep your bands to the the ones you liked at ages of 10 and under. You're still pretty close to childhood, so you'll remember those bands more clearly.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:13 pm

I-- I don't want to talk about it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:36 pm

The OC Supertones. I can't stand them now, but back in Junior High they were hardly ever out of my walkman.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Yeah, I used to like them too but then I grew up and developed taste.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1455761) wrote:The OC Supertones. I can't stand them now, but back in Junior High they were hardly ever out of my walkman.

I still enjoy the OC Supertones now and then. Not one of my favorite bands, but still fun to listen to.

Lately, I've been listening to old-school DC Talk. It makes me SO happy. :D
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:58 pm

For a period in high school pretty much all I listened to was CCM.

It was only by God's grace and mercy I was able to save myself from that.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 am

Actually, I didn't buy CD's until the mid-90's I think. Here are some of my favorite bands from childhood, complete with songs:
Huey Lewis & the News song: "I Want a New Drug"
.38 Special song: "If I'd Been the One[/url] (For those who've never heard of them, the lead singer's brother was the frontman for Lynyrd Skynyrd. He's also taken over his brother's band because, well, the original lead singer died and they still want to tour)
Lionel Richie song: "All Night Long (All Night). He used to be in a band called The Commodores (ever heard the song "Brick House? That's them. BTW, Jason Mraz? Your vision's so BLAND!)
and finally, the band that started my New Wave obsession, which also lead to alternative since that's what New Wave is called now:
Duran Duran song: "New Moon on Monday[/url] (I decided to pick one of their more obscure songs.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 am

I didn't start listening to mainstream popular music until around 95-96, and it didn't last long because in 97 I got into Christian alt rock and ska, and stopped listening to the mainstream stuff. I liked most of the same bands everybody else did, very few of which I still listen to now.

Before 95-96, I just liked a lot of random country songs. ._.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby SAVEDbyGRACE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am

i loved dctalk growing up and i still do hehe
[SIZE="1"]"But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."[/SIZE]
SAVEDbyGRACE

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

I actually listened to Top 40 up until Nirvana came out. New Kids on the Block also made me change too. I got really tired of those guys. UGH!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Strafe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Oh man... In middle School. Fallout Boy. And The All American Rejects. Those songs, Dance Dance and like Move Along. I thought they were the coolest things.

OH! And My Chemical Romance. The Black Parade.

And the funniest thing is that I still give them a listen for nostalgia's sake. Man. Emo bands...
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 pm

I still have a CD of old Sesame Street songs that one every couple blue moons my sister and I will listen to just for fun/nostalgia. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby armeck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:25 pm

well. when i was very young i listened to some kids worship tapes. the first cd i ever owned was dc talk's "intermission" album, which i got at the age of seven, i never got another kids tape again. i started collecting all the dc talk i could get, i liked various ccm artists and then i fell in love with relient k at the age of 8 or 9 and to this day they are my favorite band.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Michael Card for me. He sounds very old to my ears, but I still love his music because I would listen to a Scandalon tape at least as far back as when I was six.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Strafe (post: 1455973) wrote:Oh man... In middle School. Fallout Boy. And The All American Rejects. Those songs, Dance Dance and like Move Along. I thought they were the coolest things.

OH! And My Chemical Romance. The Black Parade.

And the funniest thing is that I still give them a listen for nostalgia's sake. Man. Emo bands...
This is me, except I only laugh when one of them comes on the radio I have to listen to.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Some of these are very awesome. But I'm sad that I see no love for

Smashmouth
Or
Barenaked Ladies
Atria35

Postby Edward » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Atria35 (post: 1457006) wrote:Barenaked Ladies

I remember that song from the Digimon movie. I still thinks it's great.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Edward (post: 1457055) wrote:I remember that song from the Digimon movie. I still thinks it's great.

:hug:

Such a great song!
Atria35

Return to Jam Session