Cover vs Original

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Cover vs Original

Postby Edward » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Post the original recording and your favorite cover version of a song that you like, and then rate the songs posted above you. Enjoy!

Original: Telegram Sam-T Rex

Cover: Telegram Sam-Bauhaus
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Generally speaking, I like covers that are very different from the originals. When I hear covers where the whole song is the same except for the vocals, I just want to hear the original instead.

I Put a Spell on you

Original:Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Cover: Creedence Clearwater Revival

Across the Universe:

Original: The Beatles

Cover: David Bowie
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Edward » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1452473) wrote:Generally speaking, I like covers that are very different from the originals. When I hear covers where the whole song is the same except for the vocals, I just want to hear the original instead.

I Put a Spell on you

Original:Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Cover: Creedence Clearwater Revival

Across the Universe:

Original: The Beatles

Cover: David Bowie

I'm the same way. If the cover is played exactly the same as the original, it will never be as good as the original. Covers that are very different can sometimes be just as good (if not better) than the original.

I preferred the original versions of "I Put A Spell On You" and "Across The Universe", though the CCR cover was pretty good.

Original: The Passenger-Iggy Pop

Cover: The Passenger-Siouxsie and the Banshees
Edward

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Just depends. I like what I like I don't really care if it's the original or not. Depends on the vocals and the arrangement. I thought the Passenger cover from the 80s was better just cause I love 80's music and it had a more rockish sound. But that's just me.

Here are a couple of my favorite covers that are at least equal to the originals.

Original: Over the Hills and Far Away - Gary Moore
Cover: Over the Hills and Far Away - Nightwish (there's a music video for it but the sound quality for the only one on youtube was crap)

Original - Fear of the Dark
Cover - Fear of the Dark - Van Canto (The thing about this band is that ALL the noises aside from the drums are their voices... the guitar sounds are made buy one of the singers making noises into a voice distorter... they're a heavy metal a cappella group.)

Van Canto actually covers a lot of metal songs and makes them unique... here's another with them covering ManOwaR... and much better than the original IMO (not hard to do though I guess though cause ManOwaR really isn't that great to start with :P)

Original: ManOwaR - Kings of Metal
Cover: Van Canto - Kings of Metal.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 am

The Nightwish cover was pretty good. It carried the Celtic feel well. Better executed than the 80s version.
The Fear of the Dark a cappella cover was quite clever! I love a good a cappella song (there's no substitute for drums though). I didn't really like the operatic vocals of the original... so definitely better than that.
With the ManOwaR original the vocals were too 80s-metal.... but the a cappella music video was quite amusing... actual air guitar! Yep, better executed than the original.

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence (original)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSKrC7dGcY&ob=av3nm
Lacuna Coil's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA
The original's got a funny video clip, but it's so 80s/synthy...
Anberlin did a pretty good one too.

John Farnham - You're the Voice (original)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSnGQq4BKc&feature=fvst
Kate Miller-Heidke's (I like it because it's quite a different genre)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-jj3crV894&feature=related
Also honourable mention to Forever Never's metal cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2fB7yR_7_4&feature=fvst
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I think I like the Depeche Mode original better than Lacuna Coil... which is a little sad because I don't really like Depeche Mode. Still, it was a much more energetic arrangement, I think.

Kate Miller-Heidke's "You're The Voice," on the other hand, was infinitely more enjoyable than John Farnham's. The little touches of Bohemian Rhapsody were fantastic. (Though, just between your and me, I think Rebecca St. James does the best version out there)

"Joining A Fanclub"

Original: Jellyfish
Cover: Puffy AmiYumi
(Interestingly, Puffy's producer was a member of Jellyfish)

"Wind Beneath My Wings"

Original: Bette Midler
Cover: Sonata Arctica
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:08 am

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1453138) wrote:Kate Miller-Heidke's "You're The Voice," on the other hand, was infinitely more enjoyable than John Farnham's. The little touches of Bohemian Rhapsody were fantastic. (Though, just between your and me, I think Rebecca St. James does the best version out there)

Some people would consider belittling John Farnham's original as almost blasphemy... it's a classic!
The Bohemian Rhapsody part was a bit of a nod to the short time that Farnham spent performing with Queen, and his famous "Last Time" final tour and "Last Last Time" tour or whatever he called it (as in it wasn't the last).
(Sorry, I disagree, she changed the melody and removed the "oooooh woooh wooo woooooh"s! That's the soul of the song!)
Sorry, carry on.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Return to Jam Session