Live vs Studio

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Live vs Studio

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:58 am

yup, which do you prefer, live music, or studio? i prefer live (unless the band can't play very good live) i like how it sounds more raw, and real. i don't listen to live music a lot though because some bands talk after every song, and i love that when i am in a concert, or the first time i hear a cd, but after the first time i find it kindof annoying, so what do you guys thing?

well there was supposed to be a poll in this thread, but, my computer doesn't play nice with the forum now and then so it didn't work
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Honestly it depends on the band. Musicians like Regina Spektor put on awesome live performances, and I find that some bands (like Thrice) actually sound better live than not (which is saying a lot). Additionally, some bands' live versions of songs are a little different from the studio versions, and the changes are for the better (like Mae's live version of "Sun"). However, if I'm introducing someone to a band, I prefer to show them the studio version of a song over the live version (with a few exceptions), just because that's often the version I hear most often, along with the fact that most live versions, unless they're recorded with professional equipment, sound terrible. XD I usually buy studio albums as opposed to live albums, simply because live albums often only have repeats of songs that I already own on studio albums. There are exceptions to that, of course, but generally speaking, yeah, I listen to studio albums far more often.

That said, nothing beats a great live show when you're actually there. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:05 pm

yeah i always introduce people with studio music, i love blink 182 live. i got there cd "the mark tom and travis show" even though i already have most of the songs. dc talk's "welcome to the freakshow" is another album that i preferred over studio music. owl city live is amazing too but he doesn't have any live albums
armeck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Generally, I prefer studio. Many bands/singers just don't sound good live.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I like listening to live music. I hate listening to live audiences.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Depends on the band. Kamelot is an awesome band and they actually sound better live. So I prefer them live. Something like Dragon Force though or Hammerfall or something, prefer the studio stuff.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1444318) wrote:I like listening to live music. I hate listening to live audiences.

win

Scarecrow (post: 1444320) wrote:Depends on the band. Kamelot is an awesome band and they actually sound better live. So I prefer them live. Something like Dragon Force though or Hammerfall or something, prefer the studio stuff.

hey have you heard dragonforces live album? idk i hear it's actually pretty good, i will say with the amount as zp cusses live, it's a bit distracting, i mean, when i'm listening to blink it's one thing, but when i listen to dragonforce i want something epic
armeck

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 am

It definitely depends on the band. Sometimes the live versions have something different or special like an intro, instrumental or solo (Brooke Fraser comes to mind), or are just generally really well produced (Hillsong). Other times they do some fancy stuff in the studio and add some extra layers of instruments or effects that they can't do live, so it seems not as special. Sometimes the vocalist is just lazy live and doesn't put in the effort shown in the recording. Sometimes the crowd and atmosphere sounds add to it, and sometimes don't....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby That Dude » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:06 pm

I generally like studio recordings, but I will always love a good concert.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1444318) wrote:I like listening to live music. I hate listening to live audiences.

I gotta kinda agree but during Hardcore shows and metal i love hearing the crowd chants.

As far as Studio verses lives goes i gotta throw my hat into the depends on the band
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 am

Studio, studio, studio.

I have yet to consider a live version of a song better than a studio version. Some are of equal quality, many are inferior, but yeah. I also find all the cheering rather annoying when I'm not part of the crowd.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:24 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1444957) wrote: I also find all the cheering rather annoying when I'm not part of the crowd.

What about when the performers fall silent so you can hear the crowd 'sing' the words to the song? Isn't that great?!

Actually, some cheering doesn't bother me. But I like studio recordings better. Except for Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense, I haven't heard live versions and liked it as much as studio stuff.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby armeck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 am

i like the raw feeling that live music has, i like that it isn't so polished like studio music. but that's just me
armeck

Postby Blacklight » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Live is best, in my opinion, when I'm actually seeing the band live myself. I don't care as much for live recordings, and prefer studio usually. (Not to say, though, that I don't listen to live recordings sometimes, just that I prefer studio recordings, and live performances.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Edward » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:27 pm

I generally prefer the studio version, unless the band is actually good live. Like Blacklight, I prefer actually seeing the band. I hate it when I accidentaly buy live recordings.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Winry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 pm

I like studio better than live recorded music... but nothing beats seeing/listening the band live =)
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Return to Jam Session