Is SOAD anti-Christian?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Is SOAD anti-Christian?

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 pm

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Is the band System of a Down considered anti-Christian? I used to listen to these guys all the time in the past. Three of my favorites songs by them are Chop Suey, Soldier Side and Aeriels. Yet, I was reading somewhere that the first two of those songs in least can be considered blasphemous? I mean, I've always ALWAYS believed in God and Jesus, but I just wasn't very into Christianity before now. I never thought of these songs as saying anything bad about God. Have I missed something? Not to mention some people claim the band members actually are Christians while others say they are either Muslim or Aethist. Does anyone know how true any of this actually is? [/font]
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:16 am

the song bounce is rather inappropriate ;) lol in the album toxicity the lead singer said "thanks God, Buddha, Allah and Lucifer because they are all so lovely" you know, i listen to a lot of music that is viewed as inappropriate. but things that doubt god, or are against God, idk, they just don't happen for me, personally, because of the above statement, i don't listen to system of a down, i mean, i like they're style and what not, but... idk, there are certainly worse bands out there, if you want i could research some music that sounds like them but is a bit cleaner, i like researching bands so if you want me to it's no problem.. quite the opposite really XD hope i helped
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:42 am

Ew, they really said that? *Sighs*. Darn, I really liked them to. If you truly don't mind looking into it that would be lovely thank you. xD
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:08 pm

okay well i'll work on that and see what i come up with
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Hm, I've looked into some of the songs I like by them and I've come to the conclusion that they aren't or in least I don't see them as such anti-Christian songs. Soldier Side is especially an anti-war song. I can easily turn the songs into something different so I don't feel so bad now. xD Though I have never heard the song Bounce so I might need to look the lyrics up now.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:02 pm

yeeeaaaaahhh, i would tell you what it's about but i might get in trouble for saying it in a place where everyone can see it. but keep in mind that's not a literal pogo stick he is talking about ;) lol
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Um, yeah, I looked it up. Sorry, but I lol'd. The song looked so ridicules. I'm not even going to bother listning to it.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 pm

You don't have to dislike them as a band- you just need to watch what songs you listen to. And it depends on what you feel comfortable with- I personally don't listen to death metal or rap because they tend to have inappropriate themes. But I still listen to Lady Gaga.

Just to clarify, it's perfectly okay to listen to non-Christian bands and singers. As for whether SOAD is or isn't Christian, I don't know. Most popular bands and singers have a lot of controversy around their spirituality- espeically when they're in alternative forms of music. Some of it comes from at least one of the members having a Middle Eastern background, and relatives living in Iran.

As far as their song lyrics are concerned, if you look hard enough, everything can be considered some sort of blasphemy. My rule of thumb is that if I can tell at first listen that it's the case, then it's blashphemous. If it requires more than that, and the blasphemy includes dubious connections and symbols and inferences, then I take it as someone was hocked up on sugar and conspiracy theories.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Lol, I like Lady GaGa to...And Katy Perry...And Fergie. *Shame* I honestly don't like most death metal or rap either. Some of it actually sounds pretty scary. Though I never thought of SOAD as death metal. Like I was saying above, some might consider the lyrics blashemes, but I don't think they are truly meant to be. I see a different meaning from the song and really isn't that the point? No one knows exactly every detail of what the song is about except for the writers and singers. Also, from what I've heard the band members are from Armenia which is a mostly Christian dominated country so a lot of people where saying that though the band isn't Christian the band memebers are or something. I don't know. Lol.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:50 pm

soad is more punk right? i personally don't listen to them because it would violate my conscience BUT i do have 5 blink 182 cd's ;) i know the story behind the lyrics and i don't find them offensive because of the story. the worst band i have ever heard of was deicide, they are a death metal band. i had a point with that but i forgot XD lol
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Like I said, death metal for the most part scares me. I don't like it. I have listened to and liked some songs from Disturbed and Korn as well and I think one song by Slipknot, but I don't remember what it was. I'm not sure if any of those bands are considered death metal, but I have heard Slipknot is apparantly satanic? That's pretty frightning.
0.o
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:11 pm

idk if slipknot is satanic of not i have never listened to them, i have heard people tell me distrubed is, but my best friend insists they are nothing close to it. deicide has only blasphemous songs, i mean really, song titles include: F--- your god, homage to saten, kill the christian. it's disgusting! power metal on the other hand is often very clean, and kinda sounds christian (if you interested there is like a million bands i could tell you about in the power metal genre) korn started off pretty bad (from what i hear) but several of the band members became christians a while back, several of them left the band, and one that stayed wrote all the lyrics to the new album, this man is going through a very hard time and is suicidal, he wanted to put his game face on in front of his kids, so he wrote the new album kindof as a form of therapy, but it is frowned upon by many christians, because the lyrics are offensive (so i have heard)
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 pm

I honestly don't find Disturbed anti-Christian either. Some of their music is loud and angry and of questionable themes, but I find some of their other work interesting. From what I've heard all members of the band do believe in God with the main singer being raised Jewish if I'm correct. Some of Slipknot's stuff is pretty scary, I've only listened to one or two songs and it was a year or so ago. As for Korn, I really haven't listened enough to know. The song that I remember the most is Forsaken which if I am correct was written for a vampire movie or something. :lol:

By the way, Decide does sound pretty gross. 0.o Glad I've never heard of them before. And sure, I'd like to know some good power metal bands. xD
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:25 pm

it's deicide, not decide, i think there is a band called decide, and i know nothing about them, deicide is a word meaning to kill god. if you like symphonic metal, then listen to rhapsody of fire, if you like prog metal listen to dream theater or theocracy (theocracy is christian) if you want power metal listen to
dragonfroce
freedom call
power quest
dragonland
sonata arctica (they have a few questionable songs)
firewind
hammerfall
yeah, those are all pretty good XD
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Puh, I'm stupid, sorry. It's late where I am and I be tired. xD

The only one I know out of them is Sonata Artica and I've never heard anything bad from them yet, but maybe I'm missing something. Anyway thanks for the list. I'll have to check them out. xD
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:09 am

your not stupid i made the same mistake... then again... i never claimed not to be stupid XD sonata arctica has the song "my dreams are but a drop of fuel for a nightmare" which makes reference to suicide (i still like the song though) and the song "the 8th commandment" is a hard to understand song that could EASILY be taken as very anti-christian. i really like sonata arctica the song "paid in full" was life changing for me.
if you like sonata arctica i suggest the dragonland song starfall, or the freedom call song flying high
armeck

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:09 pm

heh....if you want scary....Cannibal Corpse :P
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Wow...don't they sound lovely. xD
TopazRaven

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:46 pm

SOAD is a good band. Their lyrics are known for being a bit crazy and all over the place. Some of them are pretty hard to interpret.

I mostly just pick and choose their songs.

Also I enjoy some death metal, although I'm getting more into power,folk, and other styles of metal as well.

Metal is such a diverse genre. You have everything from Metallica to THIS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL65oumesqE
Yamamaya

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Someone else who thinks SOAD is a good band! Yay!

The Metal genre does seem quite large and complicated. I tend not to pay attention to exactly what genre the music I listen to is in. For example, I had no idea Skillet or Red where Christian bands until I looked them up further.

And wow. That was er....speciel. :lol:
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:04 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1441344) wrote:
The Metal genre does seem quite large and complicated.

true that! there doesn't seem to be a more complicated genre
armeck

Return to Jam Session