Am going to learn guitar!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Am going to learn guitar!

Postby firestorm » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 am

Any old worship songs you guys recommend? could be hymns or just old school worship songs you haven't heard in a while. only requirement be like older than 5 years okay? when I mean oldschool I mean it XD.

so come people your top 3 recommended old school worship songs so I can have something to practice :D
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:45 am

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 am

You could always go for classics, like "Just as I Am," "How Great Thou Art," and "Just a Closer Walk with Thee."
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Strafe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm

If you're going to start, you might want to start simpler... I started on hymns and worship songs and formed a bunch of bad habits with my picking hand that took a while to get rid of, and my lead ability was non existent. I think if you learn lead lines in conjunction with chords, you develop a better sense of note placement and coordination. And then we get to singing and playing at the same time. Work up in the right order, or you'll get discouraged. I started by writing songs on piano and finding that I wasn't good enough to play them on guitar yet. Can be pretty depressing, but I was a kid so I was ok. But if you have easily shattered pride, you shouldn't try to rush.

Simple songs like old Delirious stuff. I could sing of your love forever is pretty simple in G. Pretty well known, but old school enough. here's a good chord sheet:

http://www.tabslyricschords.com/MostlyChristian/I%20Could%20Sing%20of%20Your%20Love%20Forever.TXT

Delirious, Matt Redman stuff, Tim Hughes, that sort of British worship sound is simple, but very powerful lyrics if you sing to them.

Some Hymns can get tricky with Chords. Don't get into Barre chords and 7ths, 6ths, and 9ths, Aug, Dim, Add9 etc. until after you get a firm foundation of basic chords, G, D, Em, C, F, Am, E, A and so on. Hymns, especially ones like How great thou art have plenty of tricky chords and changes if you play it properly. Although it seems you're playing recreationally, so you can leave out some chords, and you don't have to learn scales if you don't want to. Only if you want to be really good and flashy. But slowly. My lead guitarist can shred Van Halen like nothing, but can't keep a rhythm and can't use it in a song context well, so you realize that flashy stuff is useless if you don't have foundation.

Unless you have a super musical background, take it at the right pace and build fundamentals carefully, but work hard at it. And if you're playing for the Lord, then there's really no better reason to play.

Hope I helped a little bit, and have fun with it.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby acgifford » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:27 am

Here I am To Worship is a good one.^^
acgifford

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:31 am

Not that I don't completely agree with you in the "older than 5 years" thing, but is there any particular reason you don't want newer songs?
(Note: I'm a bassist, and I prefer the old stuff, esp. since the hymn bass lines are usually 3x more dynamic than modern contemp...)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TGJesusfreak » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Mighty to save is a really easy and beautiful one to play. G, Cadd9, Em7, and D.
PM me if you want the full progression. :)
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:33 am

TGJesusfreak (post: 1419298) wrote:Mighty to save is a really easy and beautiful one to play. G, Cadd9, Em7, and D.
PM me if you want the full progression. :)

Or D, A, F#m, E if you're doing it in the original key. :)

God Is Great is another upbeat classic song.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Sapphy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:26 am

I'm not sure if the songs I've learned are as old as you're looking for, but Chris Tomlin's songs are easy. Indescribable, Made To Worship, How Great Is Our God, How Can I Keep From Singing (the paper I have with the chords has a couple other artists listed as well)... those are all pretty simple. Stuff by Matt Redman is also good, but I haven't really learned any of those songs yet so I don't know how hard they are. Revelation Song by Phillips, Craig, and Dean is really cool, and simple.
Sapphy

Return to Jam Session