One thing that irritates me about some J-pop/rock.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

One thing that irritates me about some J-pop/rock.

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:55 pm

I've noticed that some J-pop/J-rock bands often use English in their songs. Yet, they often tend to butcher the language when they use it. The pronounciation is so horrific, it makes me want to scream.

I mean it's fine if you want to use a foreign language in your song, but at least pronounce it right or don't use it at all.

Just a little pet peeve of mine.:grin:
Yamamaya

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Funny, I find it hilarious when they do that. The ultimate example I have of this is Hot Limit by John Desire, from one of the DDR soundtracks. It was a Japanese song that was translated into English, then given to an Italian band, who didn't speak English, to remake for the soundtrack. Hilarity ensued.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Then you'll hate this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TG-epVTzc

XD

Davidizer13 (post: 1341500) wrote:Funny, I find it hilarious when they do that. The ultimate example I have of this is Hot Limit by John Desire, from one of the DDR soundtracks. It was a Japanese song that was translated into English, then given to an Italian band, who didn't speak English, to remake for the soundtrack. Hilarity ensued.

Well most Eurobeat tends to be like that anyway (And you're right, most of them originate from Italy). XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:10 pm

I won't say anything about the american side of the anime culture butchering the Japanese language. I think if you're not native to a langauge, and only dabbling because its cool, odds are you'll be screw it up until you take it seriously.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:53 pm

I like Engrish lyrics. They're charming.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1341515) wrote:Then you'll hate this song:
How did I know exactly what this was going to be.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. Rogers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Linguistically speaking, it sounds weird to switch pronunciations mid-sentence. If you are using Japanese pronunciation, then switch to English, then back to Japanese, it sounds worse than if you just mispronounce the English.

I am much more offended by American fans butchering Japanese and never progressing beyond stereotypical anime phrases. If I hear another anime fan say "baka neko"... B|

Also, as is my custom on anime topics:
omgjapananimeramuneasiangirlsmangaiwannabeamangaartistjpoppocky!!! @_o!!!
Mr. Rogers

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 pm

CrimsonRyu17

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1341551) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkLA-5j0AA

That is the most amazing thing I've seen all day.

And so I remain on topic, no, it does not bother me that J-pop/rock artists whose first language is not English butcher the pronunciation of most words in my language for the sake of their music.

XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby sharien chan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1341515) wrote:Then you'll hate this song:

This song always made me giggle. I loved the song until I realized she was singing in English. Then not so much. Half the time when they switch to english I don't even notice. But once I do then it's all I can notice. I no longer look up the lyrics so this doesn't happen.
sharien chan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 pm

That video was awesome. XD ARE YOU READY, GUYS?

I find it cute when Japanese people try to sound cool in English, and am astonished when they succeed.

On the flip side, they think it's hilarious to say Japanese words in eigoppoi -- English style. (I find it funny too actually.) You know, like saying "ta-KE-shi" instead of the proper "TA-ke-shi".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Eh, MELL is more hilariously mangled lyrics than terrible pronunciation.

Also, Date Masamune demonstrates the correct way to use English: while riding on a horse with motorcycle handlebars and mufflers.
blkmage

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby everdred12a » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 pm

everdred12a

Postby RobinSena » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:17 am

That MELL song is hilarious. It doesn't really bother me when English isn't pronounced correctly, and sometimes it's just plain awesome, like Versailles.

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1341576) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU

0_o

Wow.

Um. Wow.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:05 am

blkmage

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:26 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1341576) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU

Win. It's been forever since I've seen that one, and it still manages to be...well, whatever it is.

Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 am

I've heard some wonderful use of English by a few J artists, but usually it just sounds silly. Generally when it is good is when the artist is (a) good enough to actually be singing in English, (b) singing a song (or complete verses) entirely in English and (c) the lyricist actually had a proper handle on the language.

A good example would be Maaya Sakamoto / Yoko Kanno stuff when they use Enlish. These tend to be good because Kanno-san has a number of English speakers in her stable, especially American Tim Jensen.

As for me, the number one attraction for me learning Japanese has not been Anime and Manga, but music. I absolutely love the sound of Japanese lyrics. I think it may be one of the greatest lyrical languages out there, right up there with Italian and Latin. So I truly wish they would have a greater love for their own language and not feel the need to rely on English words.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 am

It really doesn't bug me that Jpop and Jrock uses Engrish lyrics in a song. They do this, because they think its cool to do and people of Japan think its cool as well.

After all, the same thing can be said for American side of the anime culture butchering the Japanese language or any other language.

[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby sharien chan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 am

I think it's really funny when artists release a song in their native language and then the same one but in English. The English one is completely mangled but if you look at a translated version of the original it completely makes sense. My favorite example is Do As Infinity's Fukai Mori. Makes me giggle every time.
sharien chan

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:22 am

Eternity - Blue Dragon OST

(Yes, that is Ian Gillian, of Deep Purple fame, singing.)

Hot Limit - John Desire

Gold Rush - IIDX 14th Gold OST

All those songs purport to be English-language.

Davidizer13

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 am

It's only cute when it's girls who sing in butchered English.

You see there's a difference between otaku culture in American and Japanese music. You expect individuals to butcher a language but generally not singers.

It's not a huge pet peeve of mine, I just got kinda irritated when I listened to the butchered English in the new Bleach ED.
Yamamaya

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:45 am

Yamamaya wrote:You see there's a difference between otaku culture in American and Japanese music. You expect individuals to butcher a language but generally not singers.

I don't. Otakus do it to be cool as the same thing that singers do it as well.

So, if we are going to be annoyed with singers, then the same thing should be said about otakus doing it.

You have American singers that will sing stuff in other languages as well and they are not spot on with it as well and I don't hear people irritated about them doing it.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:37 pm

I dislike this in all permutations. In my mind there's no real difference between a middle-aged white guy scrunching up his eyes while saying "KAH_WAYYY" and Japanese use of English words to sound cool, except perhaps in degree. You can be fine with both or hate both, but I think feeling different about them is a double standard.

Not that there's such a thing as a correct pronunciation, but I do wish people would make an effort when doing something in a different language or with a different culture. Whenever I have to write anything in Spanish I always try to run it past a native speaker first to ensure a basic level of quality. I think anything less than a sincere effort at correctness is a mild form of cultural imperialism.
uc pseudonym

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:50 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1341804) wrote:I dislike this in all permutations. In my mind there's no real difference between a middle-aged white guy scrunching up his eyes while saying "KAH_WAYYY" and Japanese use of English words to sound cool, except perhaps in degree. You can be fine with both or hate both, but I think feeling different about them is a double standard.

Not that there's such a thing as a correct pronunciation, but I do wish people would make an effort when doing something in a different language or with a different culture. Whenever I have to write anything in Spanish I always try to run it past a native speaker first to ensure a basic level of quality. I think anything less than a sincere effort at correctness is a mild form of cultural imperialism.

Yeah. That there.

I find engrish in Jpop no more offensive than I find the misuse of the japanese language by american fans, although occasionally a sting on engrish.com does turn up some pretty entertaining stuff. I'm about 90% they have an equitable website for all of the misuses of japanese writing in T-shirts, tatoos, and other stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1341804) wrote:I dislike this in all permutations. In my mind there's no real difference between a middle-aged white guy scrunching up his eyes while saying "KAH_WAYYY" and Japanese use of English words to sound cool, except perhaps in degree.

Yeah, it ticks off my son when I do that. Of course I only do it to get that reaction out of him.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:52 pm

When a 49 year old man says Kawaii desu, it's just plain creepy. :eh:

Anyway, I guess I think of them differently since music is an actual industry while what a few fans say is not.(and you don't run into that many otaku every day.)
Yamamaya

Return to Jam Session