swing

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

swing

Postby Shinja » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:27 pm

hey i was wondering if anyone ever listens to music from the swing/jazz era, 20-40's. i love this music, just today i dug out my old lp's thats right even some ancient 78's. some of my favorites are bing crosby, glen miller, the ink spots. and louis armstong, and bix biderbeck are may favorite jazz trumpet players.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Shinja » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:31 pm

cool, thats one thing ive always wanted to do play trumpet in a jazz band or quartet
MATT

Shinja

Postby Rashiir » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:34 pm

Fly me to the moon was done by Frank Sinatra, but i'm not sure if it was HIS song. And swing is rad.
Rashiir

Postby inkhana » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:01 pm

Oh, yeah, I really enjoy some of the big band and swing type stuff, and I also enjoy "What a Wonderful World". :thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:40 am

Good stuff ain't it?;) We've got an all-jazz station up here that I tune into now and again
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:12 am

Fly Me To The Moon was written by Bart Howard, and was sung by Frank Sinatra. just so happened Anno Hideki liked the song, and decided to shove it in Evangelion.

now i have 22 versions of that song, of course including the original Franky one. so many remixes... there are supposed to be 30 odd of them... all thanks to NGE...

Frank Sinatra is the only 20~40s guy i listen to.
LorentzForce

Postby Anison Twilight » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:36 am

Jazz, rag, blues, etc. are the most fun to play on piano because they have so much that you can pour your soul into. I like listening to Jazz, but I LOVE to play it.
Anison Twilight

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:01 am

Hmm, I like some swing, but jazz by itself gets on my nerves really fast. However, I love big band. Anything by Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Doris Day. I'm into musicals big time, if you can't tell.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:48 am

I would say there are times I enjoy jazz....my old school I went to had a really nice jazz band....it was fun to listen to them preform. (mind you this was not some tiny garage jazz band...there was like 120 members)
Stephen

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:01 am

im going to say the trumbone

the only longer brass instument would have to be unraveled
MATT

Shinja

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:39 pm

I like the clarinets in jazz, mainly because ... (coughs and mumbles) .. I used to play one. (walks off quickly)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Return to Jam Session