Seeking coloring advice from all you artists and aesthetically-minded people...

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Seeking coloring advice from all you artists and aesthetically-minded people...

Postby EireWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:41 pm

I sculpted a small unicorn head -- not just any unicorn but an angry, dangerous unicorn. So I don't want to paint it the same old unicorn-white. I want something very different from normal horse-colors. And I don't want to paint it just one solid color, either. Oh, and it's to be mounted on a glass rod in a block of soapstone (which is light gray and white with a bit of a greenish cast -- looks kinda' marble-y).

So... any cool ideas? If I use your idea, the winner will get to... uh... see his/her cool suggestion painted on my unicorn! :grin:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:04 pm

Ah, what the heck, just doing this for fun...

So, angry, dangerous unicorn? Cool. Hmmm.... random ideas.... maybe like solid red with black fang like stripes or brown with black stripes. Or instead of a fang like stripe, maybe kind of a wavy triangular shaped stripe. Maybe that gave ya' an idea. :thumb:
Link Antilles

Postby shooraijin » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:51 pm

I was thinking a deep silver grey, with possibly lighter or more iridescent grey as an accent. If you added some iridescent quality to it, it would have to probably be some shade of red to communicate the right feel of "danger."
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kovyn Alander » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:46 pm

Hmm, this sounds interesting. I'll take a whack at it. Hmmm, lets see...usually if I want something to stand out in color I go opposite the color on a color wheel. Green is opposite red, red sounds good, but dark red. A maroonish brown sounds good. Being that the soapstone is dark/light grey, the colors so far look good to me. You could use a black fading effect on the nose and as it gets farther up the nose to the head make it spotted. Spots can start big and eventually get small and fade into the maroonish brown color. Well, that was quite a bit. Hopefully not too much? Hehe.
One day an old man, Jesus and Moses were out playing golf. Moses hit the ball and it landed in a pond. Moses then raised his hands and parted the waters of the pond and struck his ball out from the bottom and walked out and the let the waters back down to normal. Jesus hit his ball and it landed in the same pond. So Jesus walked out onto the water. His ball floated up to the top and was then hit from atop the water to land on the green. The old man swung his club and hit his ball. It was headed for the same little pond but as it was about to splash down a frog appeared and swallowed the ball. At that same moment an eagle came down and snatched the frog. The eagle flew above course over to the green and dropped the frog next to the hole. The frog then spit the ball out into the hole for a hole-in-one. Jesus turned to the old man and said "Dad, if you don't quit doing that, we're not going to let you play with us anymore."

Kovyn Alander

Postby EireWolf » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:13 am

Oooh! Good ideas, everyone. Thanks!

I still haven't decided exactly, and I'm still open to more suggestions, but I may end up incorporating all of these together somehow... :grin:

It's funny, I was actually thinking of doing something reddish. Like some kind of red roan, with a twist... I like the fading spots idea. You guys have given me something to think about! :thumb:

I'll definitely post a pic of it when it's done.
EireWolf

Postby Kovyn Alander » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:57 pm

Glad to help out, hehe. *waits for pic of finished product*
One day an old man, Jesus and Moses were out playing golf. Moses hit the ball and it landed in a pond. Moses then raised his hands and parted the waters of the pond and struck his ball out from the bottom and walked out and the let the waters back down to normal. Jesus hit his ball and it landed in the same pond. So Jesus walked out onto the water. His ball floated up to the top and was then hit from atop the water to land on the green. The old man swung his club and hit his ball. It was headed for the same little pond but as it was about to splash down a frog appeared and swallowed the ball. At that same moment an eagle came down and snatched the frog. The eagle flew above course over to the green and dropped the frog next to the hole. The frog then spit the ball out into the hole for a hole-in-one. Jesus turned to the old man and said "Dad, if you don't quit doing that, we're not going to let you play with us anymore."

Kovyn Alander

The finished Unicorn!

Postby EireWolf » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:51 pm

Here he is. I submitted him to the student art show, and should know next week if it got accepted. I'll also post a pic of the mouse faery that I repainted and entered in the contest along with the unicorn.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions! ^_^ You did help me decide on the colors, even if I didn't exactly follow your suggestion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EireWolf

Postby JediSonic » Sat May 01, 2004 8:36 am

Cool111!1one!!1 :lol;
JediSonic

Postby Archan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:12 am

Eire Wolf

Hi, long time no reply. But I just had to see some good sculpting and whammo, here I am. I really like the bust you did of the unicorn. and i like the colors, so kuddos to you there. Tell me though, the gloss, is that from glazing or is it the paint? Just curious, either way it looks good.

I also like the mousy you did, cute little fellow. your sculptures do rock. Have you considered doing a full body sculpt of the unicorn?

God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Return to Art Corner