[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
What do you use - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

What do you use

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

What do you use

Postby Retten » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:11 pm

Ok i got a good question what does everyone use to make there art :thumb: i was just wondering since im just getting into drawing manga oh and does anyone know of any good books on drawing manga

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby andyroo » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:08 pm

I use a mouse for image editing because it's all I've got. Sometimes I start out in paint to do some of the line drawing, save and then continue with something more advanced, The GIMP. Most people are going to use something like Photo Shop.

There is one book that I know of that is pretty good. It's How to Draw Anime for Beginners by Le Trung. Here's the link .
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:31 pm

Hm, for manual stuff I use regular mechanical pencils for sketching, Sakura Micron pens for inking, and Cotman watercolors for coloring.

If I'm doing cg, I color with Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and openCanvas 2.24 (get it at http://www.portalgraphics.net) with my trusty Wacom Intuous tablet ^^

But really, it isn't about the better software or media, it's really all about HOW you use the media. I've seen some CRAYON drawings that put even my best CG-ing to shame O_O
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby inkhana » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:08 pm

For drawing/sketching, I use a 2h pencil and just scan my lineart into the computer, where I color it in either Photoshop 5.0 LE or PS 7, but the former is not as cluttered and doesn't hog my system resources. I always ink digitally (because I'm a klutz). I also use a tablet, but mine's Wacom Graphire2 (still a pretty good tablet for a beginner). I don't know of any good manga books; I learned online, owing most of it to Julie Dillon's neat howtodrawmanga.com tutorial. There is also the Polykarbon.com tutorial, but JD's style matches mine more closely.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby kriz182 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:47 pm

for sketching i use a pencil (any pencil would be fine-coz it's just a rough sketch) than i trace and ink it on a new clen paper using a lightbox with a drawing pen (any drawing pen is fine with me)

i color most of my art in Photoshop (i've been using Photoshop since the 5.0 version-now i' m using the 7.0).
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:07 am

Kriz!!!! XD *hugs*
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Master Kenzo » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:14 am

Although I'm not that good (posted 1 picture last night) I either do it completely on the computer with the tablet, or do a rough sketch on paper, scan in, then ink with tablet.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby inkhana » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:29 am

Hey Psycho Ann, got a question. Have you ever used one of the lower end Wacom tablets and is it worth it to upgrade (if you know)? I figure the Intuous has many more levels of sensitivity, but what other benefits do they have?

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:07 pm

My friend has a Wacom $99 (forget the model) tablet for his iceBook. The tactile response is quite good and the included Fractal Designer art software responds very well, although there seems to be a bit of lag with the pen response (could be the computer, and this may not be true of the software included for the Windows version). The tablet itself seems very good quality for the price.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:12 pm

> Ok i got a good question what does everyone use to make there art

Most of my art starts as regular old pen-and-paper drawings. I then scan them into Photoshop on my desktop Mac and do first-stage cleanup; then, I load that image into Flash and trace over it to make a vector image. That goes back into Photoshop for final shading and "inking."
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:50 pm

Inkhana: Lower end? I'm also not familiar about any "upgrades", are you talking about upgraded drivers? Like I bought my Intuos (version 4.52) which was starting to act weird with newer programs like Photoshop 6.0, so I went over to the Wacom site and d/led the new driver (4.70 something) but it only improved the sensitivity so lightly that there's hardly any difference.

And since I only compared Intuous to my previous Aiptek tablet (very very bad O_o;; ), I can't really say much about its features. I did hear from friends that Intuous is "better" than Graphire....

Psycho Ann

Postby inkhana » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:34 pm

LOL, sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant how the Intuous compares to the Graphire (I think of the Intuous as being an "upgrade" but anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a nut ;))

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Shinja » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:06 pm

i need to get me some cool stuff, all i use right now is a .5 mechanicl engineering pencil. and ive been useing corel phot paint 8 over the summer to make my pencile apear to be ink.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Izumi San » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:27 pm

Do u mean for drawing on the computer or not? Here's how I do it for both:

Computer: Well, I use my tablet, which is a Graphire2 & I usually draw on oekaki's so I don't edit much, though I have edited a couple on psp & ^^ I need Photoshop ^^"

Hand: I usually just draw using a .7 mechanical pencil & ink w/ .1, .3, & .5 ink pen. I'm just getting into inking, so I haven't started coloring them yet :)
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby Master Kenzo » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:19 am

What's the difference between Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop?
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Retten » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:14 pm

:lol: i forgot to put what i use so far i really only use paper and pen sometimes opencanvas

I use a .5 mechanical pencil and ink in .05 .1 .2 .3 and hope to get some quality coloring supplys soon

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:34 pm

Two different companies. PSP is Jasc Software. Photoshop is Adobe. From what I remember of my digital graphics and animation class, Photoshop is more widely used in the proffessional realm, and hence, it's a bit pricier. PSP is kinda the cheaper yet still useable form of it. I've used both..and give me photoshop any day. It's just easier to use IMO.
Ashley

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:46 pm

Also, Paint Shop Pro is not an option for Mac users.

Plus, I agree with Ashley -- PSP's interface is much clunkier. It does do many of the same things that Photoshop does, and it's way cheaper (I paid $299 for Photoshop, and that was on an academic license -- it lists for over double that), but it is harder to accomplish complex effects and it doesn't have all the filter and plug in options that Photoshop does. I've been a Photoshop user since version 3.0 on a beat-up Power Mac 7100, and it's been totally worth putting out the extra cash if you have even a passing interest in pro graphic art. (My mom, who is a public-access video designer in her copious spare time [their church services are broadcast on public-access cable and Mom does the editing], was so impressed with Photoshop that she had me buy her another copy at the academic price so she could do her backgrounds and titling with it.)

shooraijin

Postby Izumi San » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:21 am

WhiteBlaze wrote:Ok i got a good question what does everyone use to make there art :thumb: i was just wondering since im just getting into drawing manga oh and does anyone know of any good books on drawing manga

I almost forgot. The best book I've found about learning how to draw manga (I've got about 10 lol) is "How to Draw Manga" volume 1 by Ben Dunn. It'll definitely be of help to you & it was published last September, so it's still pretty recent. There's supposed to be a new volume each month, so I need to go get the next one lol !!
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby Kirika » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:34 am

I only use paper and a pen to draw :sweat:
But I'd like to start the whole CG thing, so what's the best program? Or maybe the cheaper too... I'm kinda broke :sweat:
Kirika

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:02 am

> she had me buy her another copy at the academic price

THAT'S ILLEGAL!
Crow: "It's a sick bird?"
Tom: "Ug."
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:11 pm

No, it's a gift. She gave me $300, and I gave her the Adobe box set. We're very generous in my family.

shooraijin

Postby Kenchii » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:02 pm

I have a copy of Photoshop (borrowed from my friend) and im getting into the whole lineart. I've gotten down using the pen tool and creating three layers but whever I try to trace over my picture the pen tool becomes black around the areas I traced. and then later, vanishes. o_o I read all the tutoricals (bakaneko, est) and no luck.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Return to Art Corner