Storing your old art/Art skills deteriorating

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Storing your old art/Art skills deteriorating

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:22 am

Dear all, I hope it's OK to post something like this here.

I've been home for a few weeks now and had the chance to dig out all my old artworks.

What has surprised/shocked me was how I preferred the way I drew 4-5 years ago, rather than now. I used to be able to pen-ink my drawing straight way (no sketching involved in between) but now, I STRUGGLE to make my works look good in pen. SIGHHH....I think I draw much worse now, sorry to fans. I suspect it's because I stopped drawing for a while for ~2 years. I thought one cannot lose their drawing skills but I guess if you don't use/practise, you can lose your ability.

How many of you store/keep your old works and look back at it? Maybe someone has already said this, but I recommend "keeping your old works", even the kiddie stuff. Coz your old ideas can be useful when you're suffering artists' block. ^^

:( Has anyone been disappointed with their latest works as compared to their old stuff? Just wondering...coz this is a bummer for me.
Mave

Postby JediSonic » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:34 am

I just started drawing anime stuff a few months ago, and I don't do as much as I could if I wanted to... it's not the first thing on my list of hobbies. However, I'm already posting my artwork on the wall of my room or keeping it in a drawer. I think that drawer could be fun to look back on in a few years, if I ever get more than 3 things in it :grin:
JediSonic

My stuff scary..

Postby KarateGirl » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:46 am

I found an old folder of some of my first anime scribbles. There quite scary actually,i started drawing in the anime style around age 10, so i guess they do inspire me...inspire me to get really good so i can show people the big jump. But i was a lot more confident with my work back them, i would draw somethign and leave it out on the table for the whole family to see...now, my art hardly gets seen by anyone but me! I do wish i could be as happy with my new stuff as i was when i started. But i also think its a good idea to keep old art work, its really fun to look back on it all and see how your stlye changes without you noticing it. :)

-KG

P.S MichiruT, i love your art work. I've been to your site and it looks great!
Rule Number 1 in Anime: There is always wind.
KarateGirl

Postby inkhana » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:39 am

Yes, I do keep all my old art work, and TBH, it makes me want to gag sometimes! (Was I ever -that- bad? O.o ) Actually when I look back at the stuff I did when I was like twelve or thirteen doesn't really bother me, and there are a few ideas to be had there, but I used to be more of a rampant perfectionist and there are some bad self-kicking memories associated with some of the later pictures.

Heh, Michiru, I haven't even got the confidence to ink in reality, so you're a step ahead of me...:sweat: LOL And I haven't seen your other works, but I don't notice the ones I've seen suffering at all...:)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Retten » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:38 am

Yeah I keep all of my old stuff I kinda did what you did I went without drawing for a year or so and now I wish I hadn't. Its kinds frustrating but oh well nothing I can do now but Its fun to look back at some of my old stuff though I even have things from when I was 5 and 6 lol

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby EireWolf » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi Michiru! That must be frustrating... but it's never too late to get back into it full swing. You'll be better than ever in no time, with regular practice. You might try taking an art class, too, to get good suggestions and feedback. I've been taking art classes at the community college for a couple years, and it's been really good for me. I, too, had stopped drawing for several years, but when I dedicated myself to art fully, I improved greatly. You might try playing with different styles, too... it could be that your "voice" is changing... hope that made sense. :sweat:

Oh, also, my drawing teacher recommends NEVER throwing away any of your drawings. That way, you can look back and see how much you have improved, or maybe even reacquire some of your old inspirations.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:10 pm

I have folders full of drawings from when I first got serious, when I was about 14 or 15. For the most part, they suck to me now, but there are still a few that I probably couldn't top now if I gave it all I had.

Right now I'm having a pretty bad creativity drought, so I haven't drawn something that's worth anything in a little while. I haven't stopped completely, I just don't draw every day like I did at one point. I was thinking about maybe doing fanart again, just so I don't stop drawing altogether.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby inkhana » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:14 pm

I think fanart is an excellent way to keep your skills honed. Some people bash it because it's not totally your original work, but I wouldn't be at my current skill level without it.

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:21 am

I actually like to sketch, and at one time I wanted to be an artist, actually a cartoonist with editorial cartoons. That's something my kids don't even know. Ah, well I guess they will now. LOL

I keep sketches I've done in journals I've had through the years. I'm actually not too bad at landscapes and less-detailed humans. *hehe* I do realize it's why I prefer to write, though.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Mave » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:55 am

inkhana wrote:I think fanart is an excellent way to keep your skills honed. Some people bash it because it's not totally your original work, but I wouldn't be at my current skill level without it.

I agree strongly. A big % of my old artwork are fanarts of YYH, RK, GW and WK. ^^ While it may lack of originality, if you practice long enough, it allows you to find your own style. Most ppl I know start with fanarts before advancing to their own creations. ^^ Anyway, I love fanarts!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, (Eirewolf, I can't take any art classes coz I'm in another master's program that's extremely demanding but next year, who knows? hehe) I know I will get better with God's grace and help even though I cannot dedicate myself completely to manga work right now. If you guys like my style now and more importantly, appreciate the messages imbedded in my artworks, I think I'll be satisfied. :) Think it's time for me to quit fretting about how pretty my art is and to focus on what Christian messages to kick in instead.

hehe Inky, maybe all the artists in CAA should exchange old artworks and have a good time ROTFLing...:grin:
Mave

Postby inkhana » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:04 pm

MichiruT wrote:hehe Inky, maybe all the artists in CAA should exchange old artworks and have a good time ROTFLing...:grin:

:red: :dizzy: :lol: I'm not sure how I feel about that...XD...but yeah, if some of the others are willing to put up some of their...uh...older artworks...then sure, I'd pitch in too. :P

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:25 pm

I'm not willing! O_O *shakes head emphatically and hides old work*
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:03 pm

I don't draw enough to be able to say anything about my art (or lack thereof), but I sometimes wonder if I was a better music composer/arranger years ago than I am now. Sometime last year, I decided just for fun to write a theme song for Anime Angels--basically, it was a lullaby. While the other members there spoke well of it, somehow I think I could have done a better job than I did.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mave » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:04 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:I'm not willing! O_O *shakes head emphatically and hides old work*

:grin: hey, you guys don't have to post old stuff if you don't feel comfortable. It's perfectly alright! I personally don't mind 'showing off ' old stuff (haha) coz it reminds me how God is good for allowing me to improve..:lol:

"Thank God I don't draw like that anymore!" ^^

I only started doing anime/manga style around 1996. Before that, it was ......Archie. 0.o Aren't you guys glad now that I was led to A/M? ^^
Mave

Postby Danyasaur » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:38 am

sure I'll post some of my old art work! infact I think I have my first atempt at drawing anime somwhere around here *digs through PILES and PILES of old artwork* uh, this might take me a cupple of hours ^_^"
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Return to Art Corner