Tablet or no tablet that is the question!

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Tablet or no tablet that is the question!

Postby Retten » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:43 pm

hehe well for christmas this year i got mainly money :grin: so i was looking at getting a scanner which i am definatly getting and possibly a tablet but i was wondering if it was worth it or not? and how long would it take to get used to? So i thought i would ask here before forking over the money tomorrow lol.

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:41 pm

anyone :?: :waah!:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:51 pm

i have just started using my tablet alot, i really like it, it does take a little time to get used to though

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby inkhana » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:46 pm

If you want to do a lot of cg work (in the same vein I do, maybe?) you probably want to invest in both (esp if you plan to be coloring your own work; "oekaki" style comp drawings are fine but I have better luck doing pencils on paper and then scanning them). The tablet doesn't take that long to get used to for basic coloring and shading, but as with anything, it takes practice to master. Given that you can achieve such awesome effects that you really can't do with a mouse, I think it would be well-worth your investment (pressure sensitivity! It's nearly impossible to make smooth shadows with a mouse). The main thing to remember about the tablet is that it's not like a mouse in that you can pick it up, move it to another location, and the pointer will remain in basically the same location; the pointer on the screen will mirror the position of your pen on the pad.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Retten » Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:15 pm

Ok cool thanks for the advice i think i will probally go ahead and get one! It sounds like it will be allot of help doing cg (never done that before need to find some tuts :sweat: ) especially shading since there presure sensitive :grin: Thanks again!

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby StarMasayume » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:27 pm

Yeah, everything that inkhana said =) I used a mouse for my digital art for about a year and did some pretty fair stuff, but begged for a tablet for Christmas. I got the Intous2 which was 250, but there are cheaper ones. It felt REALLY weird at first, but if you can get used to drawing with a mouse, you should have no problem getting used to a tablet. It becomes a blessing. You can do a lot of things the same--they're just tools to work in the same program, but the tablet can make some jobs a breeze that would be painstaking with a mouse--hair for instance >,< For things like lineart, anything swirly, or just the plus with pressure sensitivity, it's pretty great to have. If you're serious about doing CG work, it is a good investment. I think I started getting the feel for mine within a week.
"So these three things continue; Faith, hope, and love.
The greatest of these which is love." - 1 Corinthians 13:13
StarInMyPocket.net
StarMasayume

Return to Art Corner