June coloring contest

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:29 pm

I also read the clothing as a long jacket, but you can color it to look any way you want!
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:40 pm

That's true -I'm colouring it as a long robe at the moment. Which reminds me... nine days left! I'd better get moving a little. ^_^ Don't worry Yeito, I'm sure your pic will look great!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Yeito » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:37 am

I've gotta start working too! x_x I started working a poster for a friend cause I had to get it done by this saturday. And I still have to finish it. <.<; But I will focus on coloring this right after I get done.

Must... work... You know what? I think I'm gonna get off the computer now and go work on those things. :nod:
Yeito

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:26 am

I can't take it anymore!! I have a bad habit of working pieces half to death, so I think I'm just going to submit this, even though I really want to keep tweaking it until I go insane.

A quick warning, I am a total dodging, burning and lense flaring addict with an overly dark computer screen. So I'd like to apologize in advance to anyone whose retinas have been blinded by my mystical glowing dolphins of doom :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:55 am

*Feels intimidated*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Sam*ron » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:07 pm

Wow.. O_O Thats really good....
Thank you Admins & Mods - @)}~`,~
Sam*ron

Postby Photosoph » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:18 pm

Je suis d'accord! I agree! That looks totally fantastic. ^_^ Well done, LQ! Love the glowing dolphins. Heh heh... my favourite tools would have to be the D&B's and especially the smudge tool. And I love the blur filters. :drool:
Momma dolphin: "Must... bop... shiny ball!"
Baby dolphin: "Into the light...." :eh:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:47 pm

Mystical glowing dolphins of doom are the best!!! Yeah! That is so awesome, LQ! :bang: <beats self on head for not thinking of something that cool>
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:49 pm

Aww, thank you all so much! :red:

Shao, I have ta say that the crazy cool pants, creative color choices and awesome shading in your version very muchly intimidated me. And I now officially can't look at my version without Photosoph's captions springing to mind :lol:

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone elses' renditions, there's still over a week to go and I totally know that you guys'll all find a way to outdo me ^_^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby Photosoph » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:55 pm

Aw, thanks for the encouragement for all your colouring buddies. Hmm... perhaps we should form a sort of club by putting 'Colouring buddy' and a link to current colouring contests in our siggies...
Lol! I'm glad you liked the captions. :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:26 pm

THe glowing is so awsome. I didn't even think of contrasting lights. THem dolphins really glow... X.X

Oh and major kudos to the all mighty Mave if I didn't mention anything about her before. ^_^;;
Shao Feng-Li

Postby CreatureArt » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:04 am

Same here. That linework of Mave's is beautiful.
I like both entries so far. LQ - your dolphins are similar to mine in some respects, quite accidentaly. I like your patterning, though - it is very pretty and the colours are nice.

Ooo it looks like there are going to be a good many fantastic entries this time around! :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby olorc » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:19 am

Ummm.... Lizard Queen - you're one sick queen of coloring dolphins of doom...
way to go.

But where is our hero of MSpaint, Piloswine?
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Yeito » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:01 am

That.... is.... so... AWESOME. .... Mine looks so plain now. (not that its finished or anything x_x)

*sigh* Now I kinda want to make up some weird symbol and put it on mine. (Not my dolphins though) <.< But I wont. u_U *sigh* Now I have to go pick up my uncle. see you all later.
Yeito

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:47 am

CreatureArt wrote:I like both entries so far. LQ - your dolphins are similar to mine in some respects, quite accidentaly.

Really? Spooky...*paranoid stare, starts rummaging through the closet for her mind-reading-proof-tinfoil-hat*

Thankie! I'm now really, reeeally curious to see yours :grin:
Olorc wrote:Ummm.... Lizard Queen - you're one sick queen of coloring dolphins of doom...
way to go.

Thank you! Um, I think...:eyebrow:
the_lizardqueen

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:06 pm

WOW lizard queen how did you do that..... THAT IS SO COOL!!! I love glowing dolphins LOL!!!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby CreatureArt » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:22 pm

I know; it is pretty weird. Mine aren't completely similar at all - they have different markings and aren't really shiny. They are also a different colour and don't have the cool light-ball. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby Photosoph » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:06 pm

I feel a little the same, Yeito; but it's cool to see each person's interpretation -and to see some of the effects you can get by using different mediums (including computer colouring). It's weird... but I could imagine each pic in a different place -like I could imagine LQ's as the cover for a graphic novel... Shao's as a special coloured page of a manga (they do have those, even if it's rare, right?), meboeck's as a wall (all it needs is some resizing and a cool phrase :D ) and Vernhal's with its light colours as a painting hanging in a Japanese gallery. It's like with their different colouring and methods of colouring each could serve as a picture in a slightly different place. ^_^

Or... erm, something like that. :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Scribs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:41 pm

Those are some awsome glowing dolphines...

but dont worry, the true glory that is my enry shall soon be upon you,
Ph34r not.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby CreatureArt » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:59 pm

Woo! I can't wait to see yours as well, Piloswine!

I'm still working on a few little details, but I've mostly finished my entry. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:48 pm

The following image is brought to you by Crest toothpaste and Prismacolor!
er, hehe okay, not really. Here's my version; all 61 megs and 19 composite layers of it. What can I say? Mave's artwork was truly inspiring. I'm just sorry my dolphins don't glow... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:15 pm

Whoa.

I would so buy that for ginormous sums of money.

*seems to be incapable of getting her jaw off the floor*

the_lizardqueen

New At This

Postby Krypto306 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:37 pm

SO this is my first time colouring in with a comuter program,or at least an advanced one, so its not as good as some of the others but I think it rocks.... :brow:
Krypto306

Postby Yeito » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:07 pm

You know photosoph.. that is a vey interesting way of looking at it. I like it. You're very original in everything you do, even thinking!

Esoteric... all I have to say is... '...:stares in awe:'

And Krypto, yours is awesome too! There's only one scary part... <.< .... >.> My dude's jacket is the same as yours only the colors are revesed. x_x (green stipe on brown) *sigh* Oh well.... :mushroom poof:
Yeito

Okay, Amateur hour

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:39 am

As for those glowing dolphins, they look great! I mean really! Wish I had thought about something similar. And Esoteric's sketch is very beautiful as well. I mean really.

And now for some comic relief. Here is my rather lame entry into this contest where I went and tried to do something way beyond my skill. At least mine should be good for a laugh. I tried to get a realistic looking background (or at least passably realstic) and came up with that.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:41 am

Wow, those textures you've used on the dolphins look beautiful, Krypto! The background suits the picture nicely, too.

Well, all I can say is some sort of of unintelligent gibberish to your entry, Esoteric. Those bubbles, (as well as everything else), look awesome. That's such a cool way to do mixed media!

By the way, Soph's version is looking very cool at the moment, too. She's using coloured pencil and hasn't been able to do heaps yet but what she has done is awesome. It makes me very proud of my little twin sister ^_^.

Ah well. You all peer pressured me into it. I've been messing around with my entry on photoshop for ages now.
It has quite a few layers in it, since I usually do a layer of one main colour, then a new one for highlights, another one for shadows, and yet one more for each other effect/ texture. I also wanted to see what it would look like if I coloured the linework as well, and I kind of like the effect.

I wonder how many layers it has in total... I think I'll check, for interest's sake.It's got... 65?!?!?!?! *dies*. That would explain the length of time it took to open up and save. :?: :comp:

Well, here it is.

<<EDIT>>
Wow, you must have posted just before me, Bigsleep. I really like your picture: the background in particular. The sun's reflection looks really cool on the water.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:46 am

Hey, CA. Yours look good! It is one of the best entries so far!! And I also use layers when I work in Photoshop. Make it easier to fine-tune the picture (that is what they're there for). Can't say I've used 65 though ever in my life.
bigsleepj

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:49 am

Thanks, Bigsleep! I'm just glad I finally managed to finish and post my entry!

I don't think I've ever used that many layers on one picture before, either. I had a couple of days off school and so it recieved a lot of attention... :lol: . I agree: layers make it a lot easier to make changes to a picture without stuffing it up.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:28 am

Well, I know one person who won't win this one... *Ahem* Mine's not nearly as impressive.

CreatureArt that's so awsome. I like the firey dolphins.

bigsleepj those water effects are awsome.

Krypto306, the photo is a cool idea.

Esoteric (Oh you're a girl) that's simply amazing! You didn't do most of that on the computer, huh?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:05 am

Wow, like the number of completed entries has doubled overnight! I must say I'm impressed with the backgrounds you guys have come up with...they always seemed to get overlooked before... Krypto306 and bigsleepj, those are both awesome seascapes. CreatureArt, very nice lighting, love the orange glow. And did you say 65 layers?!?!?!. Well, I've certainly been outclassed there!!

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Esoteric (Oh you're a girl) that's simply amazing! You didn't do most of that on the computer, huh?

Very little. I did a colored pencil version, then made a slightly different version with greyscale markers, composited them together and added the toothpaste bubbles and ink splatters. I only used photoshop for basic editing and a few soft gradients.

This has been the best coloring contest so far. I love seeing everyone elses' versions!
Esoteric

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner