June coloring contest

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby Krypto306 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:06 am

CreatureArt yours is amazing, I don't belive you used like 65 layers, I had hard anough time with two,real good job,
Esoteric... Good job man you realy set the standers....
I love colouring its so much fun
Krypto306

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks Shao, Esoteric and Krypto :) .

Same here, Krypto - colouring is heaps of fun. You learn heaps while you do it.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:27 pm

Right now im in total awe of Esoterics and creature arts entry's *can't stop staring* WOW those are just Awesome!! Big sleepj and Krypto did a great job to!!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:40 pm

Yeito wrote:You know photosoph.. that is a vey interesting way of looking at it. I like it. You're very original in everything you do, even thinking!

Aw... thankee. ^_^ Whoot, I'm original! \(^o^)/ :grin:

Woah... Esoteric... that's beautiful! Love the way you've got it really looking like it's underwater -all the latticework-type light areas... the colours, and the textures. I did notice something else I hadn't noticed before, but it's about your profile rather than your picture. For some reason I only noticed your gender symbol yesterday... I can't believe I've thought you were a guy for so long! :lol: I really need to take more notice of those symbols... :)

Great work, Krypto]I[/i] deserve some credit too! *nods* Yes; when you were wondering whether to have the border at a 70% or 100% opacitiy -I told you 85!! (Or 80... I forget.) Yes -don't forget all the hard work that I put in over several seconds' of intense slave labour to come up with a number in the eighties!! ;)
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:01 pm

WHOA! So many new entries!!

Firstly, I love Krypto's use of a photo background, the integration between the figure and the background is excellent. The subtle textures on the dolphin and the figure are very nicely done too. And I really like the shades that you picked for the dude's clothing, they seem quite earthy.

I also really like the background on BigSleep's, I wish I'd thought of an ocean sunset (more opportunities for blinding glowiness! *cue evil laugh*). I think that the position of the sun and the reflections on the water is really working well with Mave's lineart, awesome compositional decision. And the shading on the dude is impressive, it's so clean and smooth...

And finally, I've officially decided that I want to surrender my crown as the Queen of the Mystical Glowing Dolphins of Doom to Creatureart. I love the fiery dolphins so much! Oo, it's like your fire dolphins vrs. my ice dolphins (or are they water? ei, confused..), 'tis very elemental. The texture on his clothes is also sweet. And the frame and the textured blue background are really nice touches too.

I think I'm nattering. This is so cool though! It's amazing to see all the different intepretations that everyone has come up with :grin:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Yeito » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:12 pm

0___0 :stares in awe as she continues to scribble with her colored pencils:

<.< I feel so behind... am I like the only one to not put up an entry so far? >.> I'll hurry i promise. x_x I'm sorry.
Yeito

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:48 pm

Nope, I still have to do mine. I've already coloured the big dolphin, the main dude, and a few things I added in the background... but I still need to do the little dolphin and add some other things too. ^_^
What are you up to, Yeito?
Go colouring buddies! :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:25 pm

Colouring buddies.... UNITE! (We ought to form up into some large mech and blast space invaders or something.... ).

I can't wait to your finished versions Soph and Yeito! :)

Thanks, LQ! See what I meant about our dolphins being similar. I really love your ice colours. Hmm... perhaps our mystical glowing dolphin duos of doom will combine forces to take over the world? :evil:
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Mave » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:46 am

*0*)// Coloring buddies unite~

Wonderful entries everyone! I'm very pleased to see the response this month.

I have an idea: In the end of the contest, I will post my colored version so that you guys will have an idea of what I originally intended for this piece and compare it with what you all have interpreted it as. :grin:
Mave

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:16 am

You know, this thread is like an ink-blot test at a psychiatrist. Different interpretations for each person. Just a random thought.
bigsleepj

Postby Yeito » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:09 am

-__- .... I've colored the dude. /)_(\ I'm sorry. I've been really busy. I'm going to work on it today though, right after I finish this.... poster picture for Lisa. *sigh* I'm really sorry. -___-

Another dilemma I had was that my sister took half the good coloring pencils with her when she left last week, and won't be back till the end of June. But my good friend Kami saved me by allowing me to borrow hers for a while.

Ok... on to work! :scribbles furiously: >.<!!!!!!!
Yeito

Postby Esoteric » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:42 pm

For some reason I only noticed your gender symbol yesterday... I can't believe I've thought you were a guy for so long! I really need to take more notice of those symbols...

:dizzy: You aren't the first person, Photosoph. For some reason, even though I've always had a female avatar, many people have assumed I'm a guy. Is it the name? Does 'esoteric' sound masculine? Is it the way I talk...errr, type? I found myself having to use the female symbol in order to clear things up. But it sounds like some people still haven't noticed. It's okay though, :hug: I actually find this strange phenomenon both interesting and confusing at the same time...

Coloring buddies! hehehe, I'm totally up for blasting space invaders in a giant mecha, yeah! ;)
Esoteric

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:46 pm

Nah, I don't think the name "Esoteric" is masuline in any way. But I thought it for a long time as well that you were male. Its your previous avatar which kind of did it. Sorry. :grin:
bigsleepj

Postby Photosoph » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:33 pm

Aw... I wish I could evil laugh as cutely as you, LQ. ;)

It'll be cool to see your version, Mave. ^_^

You know, this thread is like an ink-blot test at a psychiatrist. Different interpretations for each person. Just a random thought.

That is an interesting thought. I wonder what my pic will say about me... or what LQ's says about her... or what Piloswine's says about him. :eh:

I'm glad it doesn't bother you, Eso! Yup, I agree with BSJ (hmm... your initials really remind me of the BFG), that it was probably your picture that did it. The name 'Esoteric' itself is kind of non-gender specific. :hug:

Don't worry if it takes a while -that's what the deadline is there for. ^_^ Ah yes, colouring pencils... it's no good when you're missing half of them. If you are, you generally end up with the odds and ends -mustard-yellow, some random shade of brown, orange, and pink. And almost always some shade of green resembling puke-green...

Whoot! I've finally finished mine! Correction: I finished it late last night. I was tempted to add more creatures to the background but realised I'd have to be even more careful when making the watery texture, so I just left it the way it is. If the linework looks weird, its because of our black ink catridge. I have the feeling it may need cleaning. I also blame it for the slight spot marks on the paper. :sweat:
Anyway, the idea is that he's in some sort of surreal aquarium. That's why there are all those lighter lines across the creatures and water but not him. I also saved myself the trouble of figuring out a colourscheme by picking three colours: blue, purple, and pink, and stuck with those. ^_^
After that I scanned it in, added a border, and resized it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby olorc » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:55 pm

very nice entry photosoph.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Krypto306 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:52 pm

good job photosoph, I quite like the fish swimming upsidedown very awsome,This is so much fun....
Krypto306

Postby Esoteric » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:48 pm

hey hey! I love the turtle, it's awesome! Nice job photosoph, there's much to be said for limited color schemes. Nice border too, with the whole wavy water thing.... *mezmerized...* That's a computer job right? It kinda looks like marker to me, so I can't tell for sure....

So my old avatar was the problem huh? Hmmm. *begins avatar shopping again*
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:30 am

Oo! I love it Photosoph!!!

The patterns, colors and spots on the dolphins are gorgeous and I really like the shade of blue that you picked for the dude, it's so rich (especially on the gloves and hair). Very neato concept too, and I love the rays of light! And don't even get me started on the background fishies, the seahorse and the turtle, for some reason I think that is the coolest sea turtle design (ooo, the spikes..). And the frame does a really good job of uniting it all. I think it's awesome how you limited the color scheme like that, I'll have to try that in the future...

I'm not sure if my version really says that much about my mind. I look at it and I tend to see a big ol' jumble of all my artistic influences. The clothing color scheme was inspired by the work of an awesome artist that I recently found on DA, the glowing swirls were prolly inspired by some of Matt Rhodes older stuff and the overall dark color scheme is kinda Rembrandt-ish. At least that's what I think, though mebbe it does say something about me..:sweat:

*goes back to camping out and waiting for Yeito's version...um, no pressure of course*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:17 am

Esoteric wrote:So my old avatar was the problem huh? Hmmm. *begins avatar shopping again*

Stop! You're current avatar is perfect - its the full-colour one that confused people. If you change this current one I, at least, will be dissapointed. :grin:
bigsleepj

Postby Kireihana » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:44 pm

I have begun my entry!! With only 5 days left I hope I can get it finished. Guess I'm the only one here who uses Painter XD

There have been a lot of gorgeous entries so far; this will be a close contest indeed. :)
Kireihana

Postby Photosoph » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:50 pm

Thanks Olorc, Krypto, Esoteric, LQ! I'm glad you like it. ^_^
D'oh -my last post didn't come through. T_T I think it was because of troubles at my end though, not at the CAA end.
Heh heh, the border was kind of inspired by CA. She does really great borders, and I thought it might help it to look more like an aquarium... whether it did or not though, I like it. It was done on the computer... using the 'colored pencils' filter or one of the nearby artistic filters; then I just added a little dodge and burn. I'm glad you like the turtle, LQ; it was just something I whipped up since I love turtles. I can't ever seem to remember exactly how their shells look, so I just improvised. :grin: I also thought giving it an overall realistic appearance but just changing a few details (like the spikes and colour) helped it tie in with the dolphins. ^_^ I'm glad you liked the limited colour scheme, too; as I said, it was easier doing it that way than trying to unite different colours on the robe, etc. :lol:
Weird enough, though I used a bright blue for his robe etc, it came out even brighter when I scanned it in.

I like your av, Eso; it was just the last one that confused me, as with BSJ (those initials oddly remind me of the BFG...).
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:43 pm

I have the shirt and arms left...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Photosoph » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:10 pm

Great! It'll be cool to see your version when it's finished. ^_^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Esoteric » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:40 pm

bigsleepj wrote:Stop! You're current avatar is perfect - its the full-colour one that confused people. If you change this current one I, at least, will be dissapointed. :grin:

Well shucks, I wouldn't want to dissapoint anyone!! hehehe. Okay, I'll keep this one for a while longer. I was in a really wierd mood when I made it though...can you tell? :grin: The (confusing) last avatar actually wasn't my first one though. The first was unmistakably female. (At least I sure think it was!!!) And still the confusion came. :shake: :lol:

So who haven't posted entries yet... Yeito, mechana2015, Kireihana and who else?
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:47 pm

Esoteric wrote:So who haven't posted entries yet... Yeito, mechana2015, Kireihana and who else?

Hmm...mebbe I'm mistake but has Piloswine posted yet?
the_lizardqueen

Postby Scribs » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:49 pm

My Entry is at last finished!

but, unfortunatly, due to the viruses that are slowly but surely eating into
my computers very heart, I have been having trouble posting it. I will give
it another shot now...

Edit:
I am afraid that this will mess up the screen,
but it cant be helped, It is the only way I am able to post it.

SO behold it in all its glory!

"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Yeito » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:26 pm

:stops scribbling and stares: o__o ... wow. How very creative Piloswine. I don't think I could come up with half that stuff. xD

:announces to everyone: guess what coloring buddies?! I finally finished my picture that I had to do for my friend who was moving so now I have free reign for the coloring picture. I'm so happy. I was getting so... annoyed at the other one I was doing. I'm not sure it came out too well either. I scanned it up on my da page though.

Anywho.. I like your entry photosoph. The colors are all -woosh-. I'm gonna work on mine extra hard now!

:scribbles extra hard: x3

>>edit<< Hey can i ask everyone a question?

What programs and stuff do you all use, and how much are they? I'm sorry for asking.. my dad said if we could save enough maybe i could get a better art program on our computer. -.-;
Yeito

Postby Photosoph » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:47 pm

LQ wrote:Hmm...mebbe I'm mistake but has Piloswine posted yet?

And then Piloswine posted... :eh: :wow!: ...Am I the only one slightly scared? *backs away from LQ* j/k. ]However,[/i] another program that's really good and legally free is GIMP. I haven't tried it out, but I've heard good things about it. If you want to download it, it's at http://www.gimp.org . I'm sure if you search in the computer graphics forum and tutorials you should be able to find out some more about it.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Esoteric » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:07 pm

Holy fish freak! *runs away screaming from the evil dolphin man of doom*

Err, um, where was I?. Programs? Yeah, full version Photoshop is expensive. *cough*$600*cough* I'm not sure how much the competitors like CorelDraw (or is it Paint?) cost. Maybe someone here knows. You can get cheaper versions of photoshop. A student version is only $200. The student version has the same features as the full version, only catch is you can't use it for making money, e.i. business. These can be tricky to buy though unless you're in college and have a student ID. There is also something called Photoshop Elements for $100. This is a dumbed-down version of Photoshop for the average consumer so it doesn't have the professional grade print prep tools, calibrations, (the expensive stuff), but I believe it has all the basic tools and filters.

...waaa? Ack, look at the time!! I gotta get up early! *runs off to bed and hopes not to dream about the evil dolphin man*
Esoteric

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:28 pm

Piloswine, that is one of the funniest pics I've seen. Kind of disturbing though.
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner