COPIC markers anyone?

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

COPIC markers anyone?

Postby Esoteric » Sat May 21, 2005 9:36 am

Is anyone here privleged to own COPIC markers? I was hoping someone could give me their thoughts on using them. For example, how many colors would be considered an effective minimum to own? Do you use them exclusively, or do you mix media with them? Any thoughts or info would be nice.
Esoteric

Postby mechana2015 » Sat May 21, 2005 11:43 am

I'm not ritch enough to have copic markers, but what i have seen of them looks really good. I know mysticalsphynx has a set of... about 9 and she's a little limited by them. I think a well selected set of 10 markers might do you good, but I have a sinking suspicion that people get addicted to buying copics and end up with a lot more usually.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Esoteric » Mon May 23, 2005 5:52 pm

Hmmm, yeah, I wouldn't know what colors would be best to pick. I've seen 12 marker sets, and a 'manga' set of 24. Beyond that, they do get really pricey! I'd really like to experiment with the COPIC/color pencil mix I've heard about. I wonder if I could get a similar result with Prismacolor markers. My other question would be what paper do you use with COPICs?
Just regular marker paper?
Esoteric

Postby Liger'smane » Wed May 25, 2005 5:22 pm

I tried using regular paper and it gets a bit... grainy looking. I have about 9 markers and can't wait to get more. I love using them for character design and just when I feel a pic needs color. I'm not sure what paper would look better though, here is a pic I colored with copics on regular printing paper... see what I mean. GRAINY. >-<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:12-13 :angel: ;)

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
~~~
War determines not who is right, but who is left. :bang:

There is no such thing as good luck. There is only misfortune and its occasional absence.:evil:

Viking proverv:"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn." MUAHAHAHA!:evil:
Liger'smane

Location: Often, I occupy that vacant space in between my ears.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed May 25, 2005 5:49 pm

Copics are supposed to look best on bristol...it's this stuff that's way heavier than regular paper but it's not as heavy as, say, posterboard. The problem is, it's expensive as well. :\
ShiroiHikari

Postby Esoteric » Thu May 26, 2005 9:10 pm

Hmm, bristol plate. Makes sense. Thanks, I'll be sure to give that a try...if i get a few Copics...hafta save up.
Esoteric

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 31, 2005 8:51 pm

Gyargh, COPICS are so expensive!! Geesh...Well, I have a small number of Prismacolor markers that have become my best friends..;3 Of course, they're pretty 'spensive too, but they're cheaper than COPICS. They sell where I live for about 2.95$ - 3.95$ a pop, so that's cool. They really do work quite nicely, with very good results on regular sketch pad paper. Here's a sample...

The attatched is a pic I drew and colored of Vash. The Prisma's make for quite a smooth coloring medium, but they do smell like...well, markers. Color with the fan on and the doors open! XD Also, they bleed straight through the paper, so be careful about that. Don't want to mess up your furniture! This hardly needs to be said, but if you plan on inking over your pics, be sure to do it with a water proof pen. Other than that, though, they're great! I definitely suggest them if you want quality pics without the quality price...Ooh, that sounds cool! XD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:04 am

Hmm, yeah the prisma doesn't look too bad does it? Thanks for the info and example image. I think I will buy a few prismas first and see if I like working with markers at all before buying COPICs.
Esoteric

Return to Art Corner