April Coloring Contest - Do have what it takes?

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

April Coloring Contest - Do have what it takes?

Postby olorc » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:02 pm

This is the april coloring contest. It's not an official contest, but you do get a banner. The rules are the same as always... keep the basic lines and image the same but feel free to resize the canvas, add side images (like Eso.'s lovely pedals last month :thumb: ). I'm going to try to get a mod a be the judge this month because I would like to enter one of these here contests.
Here's the image. I tried to clean it up a bit from the original scan but if you would like the original just PM me and I'll gladly make one available to you. Good luck. The deadline is in two and a half weeks on April 16th by midnight. Image:Image
Tell you friends and others on the CAA about this. People like cobalt, Ash, Ink, maybe Volt even, Sam*ron, Elric-kun, shiroi (i think that's the way you spell it) and waffleman I think would all do okay at this.

A different note:
emersongreen was thinking it might be a good idea to award two prizes, one for people who have tablets and one for those who don't. What do ya'll think of that? I almost think that there should only be one winner. For two reasons: 1) we don't usually have enough entries to really have a great competition to begin with and 2) although tablets do help, it seems to me that great coloring jobs can be done with a mouse if you know what you're doing, what counts is the final image. If we were to divide it based on tablets would we also have to make two more winners for photoshop and non-photoshop users. Also, the same thing could be done to seperate out those who've had formal training in graphic design and progam use... That's just my take though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Esoteric » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:01 am

Hmm, how many people have tablets here anyway? Well, to make it interesting, I'll promise not to use my tablet to color this one. :thumb:
Esoteric

Postby olorc » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:55 pm

8 O ... this should be good!!
I'm in process of pming all the people I can think of telling them to enter... hopefully some will bite and then it'll really be on!!
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Scribs » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:03 pm

I am in. (as always)

Blah ha ha!

hopefully I can get Wffleman On board too!

Blah ha ha ha!
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby olorc » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:34 pm

yes!!

also, inkhana agreed to judge after the contest is over... aka I'm entering this time.

please feel free to totally delete the rocks from the pic all together if you want. They are annoying to color (at least I think so) and I almost regret drawing them in. So, unless you think they'll enhance the pic., don't feel like your "not keeping the original lines" by deleteing them. it's ok. :thumb:

Ashley said she was too busy. S.H. might enter this time as well. I haven't heard back from coby or elric and i'm about to PM some more just to raise awareness.

If people have trouble posting their pics go to imageshack.com they'll host it for free no questions or reg. nessessary. :thumb:
olorc

All right!

Postby Photosoph » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:10 pm

This month, I'll finally enter. I saw the last month's contest too late. *downloads* *saves* Hmm... photoshop... or paint? Enie menie minie... mo!
*stares at choice dumbly* D'OH! Paint! ;) Nah, actually I already chose paint. This should be a good challenge! :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Im in in the tablet category...I was out the last couple months due to art classes taking my time up.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CobaltAngel » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:43 am

I have a tablet. I used to use the mouse but I haven't for a really, really, really long time. lol But its really up to you.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby olorc » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:38 pm

everyone one use tablets if you got em. I use a mouse but I don't feel like my entry will be significantly hindered by that. I want to see what ya'll can come up with!
aka... Bring it on all who dare.
olorc

Postby Esoteric » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:55 pm

All right, it looks like there'll be a decent showing of contestants this time! Suddenly my title feels in jepardy <runs off to cowar in the shadows>...
Esoteric

Postby Scribs » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Ha ha! Looks like I am the first to post my entry this month!
Cower in PH34r of my ney secret weapon:
CRAYONS!

My other secret weapon is that I plan to bribe the judge! Blah ha ha ha ha

hmm.. maybe i should not have revealed my second weapon...

Edit: well it looks like my attachment did not come through... Hopefully I will be able to get it up eventually
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby olorc » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:06 am

ya the attachments aren't working right now, but if you go to http://imageshack.us/ you can host you pic for free no questions asked. Then just link to this "direct link" addresss imageshack gives you. (this is how I was able to still post the original pic for this monthes thread. :thumb: ).
Tell all your friends and neighbors (who are on the CAA that is) about htis contest because I think this month will be the most exciting yet.
I can't wait. *glomps at nothing*
olorc

Postby Photosoph » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:22 pm

*Nothing is glomped. Nothing feels loved.* ^_^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby emersongreen » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:08 pm

nice pic, did u draw that olorc?....i think that the rocks might be far beyond my ability...but i will still try to do something with it....
:poke: :bang:
emersongreen

Postby Sam*ron » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Ah, sorry buddie. Not this time, I would like to, but I have no time, maybe next month. ^_^

Good luck, Esoteric! :thumb:
Thank you Admins & Mods - @)}~`,~
Sam*ron

Postby Jeikobu » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Once my dad fixes our other computer maybe I can do this. But Paint is kind of junk for anything except very basic things. ^^;
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Esoteric » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:11 pm

Sam*ron wrote:Ah, sorry buddie. Not this time, I would like to, but I have no time, maybe next time. ^_^

Good luck, Esoteric! :thumb:

Ahh, pity you won't be joining us, Sam*ron. Thanks for the luck...with Piloswine using his secret weapon, I'll need it...
Esoteric

Postby Sam*ron » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:28 pm

I bet you will do fine. ^^
Thank you Admins & Mods - @)}~`,~
Sam*ron

Postby Scribs » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:23 am

ha ha! after much ado here is my entry!

-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby olorc » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:29 am

emersongreen - yes i drew it. I wasn't very good at perspective at that point in my drawing and so the right arm is a little messed up (the arm with the sword) but thanks for you comments.
sam*ron - that's ok maybe next time. :thumb:
jeikobu - hope you get an entry in this month
piloswine - I spy with my little eye: the severed head of sir isaac newton, Christopher Columbus, a happy sun, a puerto rican building, and arm socks. very interesting. You never fail to amaze us piloswine. your entries bring the term "mixed media" to whole new level. :brow:
olorc

Postby Esoteric » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:06 pm

I'm freaked out once again by Piloswines' entry! Yes, he does take multimedia to a new level. I will say one thing though, I'm very much impressed by the crayon skin color. Building the flesh color from green, red and purple; a very professional technique! :thumb: Truly, your secret weapon is revealed!

Question for Olorc. Can I resize my final image so that it mostly fits on one page (and you don't have to scroll three diferent directions to see it)?
Esoteric

Postby olorc » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Esoteric wrote:Question for Olorc. Can I resize my final image so that it mostly fits on one page (and you don't have to scroll three diferent directions to see it)?
good question.
Answer: yes of coarse... do whatever you like as long as it's still the same pic when your done. I agree (if this is what you were refering to) that Pilos. did take up a tad much space... but you know what they say... "when in moments of hesitation, disco dancing is always a good option." Keep that ever present in your mind. :thumb:
olorc

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:53 pm

i'm in olorc, one question, is it ok for us to make some of the lines more defined on the pic, reason why i ask is 'cus my printer has a tendency to lighten the black when it prints out, so when i print out a pic like this to color, i usually go back over it with either a good pen, or one of my trusty sharpie pens to redarken the lines
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby olorc » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:32 pm

Yeshua-Knight wrote:i'm in olorc, one question, is it ok for us to make some of the lines more defined on the pic, reason why i ask is 'cus my printer has a tendency to lighten the black when it prints out, so when i print out a pic like this to color, i usually go back over it with either a good pen, or one of my trusty sharpie pens to redarken the lines

ya go ahead man. do it. :thumb:
olorc

Paint... mutter....

Postby Photosoph » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Ok... here's my entry!

I spent a lot of time colouring it, but by now I'm fed up with doing the shading.
I used Photoshop to up the brightness and resize it, then copied the uncoloured version to paint where I went over each pixel and changed its colour. -_-" Next time I'm using Photoshop. :sweat: It was a good challenge, but it's taken so long! :mutter:
I also had some trouble with fold lines and anatomy, but I'm happy with his hair, torso, face, face mask, and the bit that goes over his shoulders. :grin:

Here's a small animation, since I didn't manage to finish the pic. If you're wondering how I got all the frames, it's because I resaved the picture as I coloured and shaded it so that if I made a mistake I could go back and start on that area again.

(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Scribs » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:35 pm

sweet, I love the eye, there is simply somthing about it.. Well, great job.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Esoteric » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:17 pm

Yes, nice job Photosoph! All right. I've decided not to 'officialy' enter the contest this time, so the following image is not an entry, but merely an inspiriational example for the rest of you artists out there. Perhaps it will inspire you with your own versions. So, to the judge; please do not consider this image when judging.

I wasn't actually quite finished with this image, but it was eating up too much of my precious little time. And keep in mind, this was all done with a mouse, no tablet! So mousers, you got no excuse, I wanna see some more entries in this contest! :dance:
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:25 am

Thanks Piloswine!

Wow... I love this, Esoteric. ^_^ Especially the wolves, and his 'tribal' markings.

Ooo... post 256. I like that number. Reminds me of the old windows 256 colour limitations that I remember so well... :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby olorc » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:57 pm

very nice photosoph. I love the ground work you did there (no pun intended).
Esoteric, if you want you are more than welcome to enter that pic. It is very well done and deserves to be recognized if the best... but still, your call. BTW, did you draw the wolves with the mouse?! WOW! A+
Here's my entry. I did this with a mouse also, I don't own a tablet.
coby, emersongreen, yeshua-knight, mechana, and all you others out there, hope you guys get you entries. Post if you're working but need a time extension.
olorc

Postby Esoteric » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:32 pm

wolves...rocks...markings....all 100% mouse.

Those are cool flames, olorc. They look like fractals...
Esoteric

Next

Return to Art Corner