A question for the artists.

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

A question for the artists.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:59 pm

I've been trying to draw for a while now, but I don't understand how it works. I don't know how you guys know what shapes to draw to make things look right. I just don't "get" drawing. And I don't understand how you guys do. Can someone take the mystery out of drawing for me?

Rai the confused would-be artist Image
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby shooraijin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:14 pm

I'm not a great artist either, but of those things that I can draw fairly proficiently (a rather short list *ahem*), I learned by just trying over and over and over, gradually building up an eye for the proportions. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practise.

I think there are also people who have an inbuilt talent for eyeballing a scene and then being able to translate it into pen strokes. You can learn this, but it takes time. I'm well aware of that frustration. ^^;;
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby inkhana » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Well, the main thing for me is memory of a certain system of shapes that I build upon (in particular, for people) After you draw whatever it is you want to draw a couple thousand times, you'll get to where it comes easily. (...couple thousand...heh...that sounds like a lot, but in looking back, it really isn't) I've heard before (perhaps on CAA? can't remember) that drawing aptitude comes from the ability to look at an object and analyze it for the shapes it "contains" rather than the object itself. For example, the classic "egg" shape for a head (I actually use an oval, not an egg, but that's irrelevant), a soft "V" shape for the torso, circles for shoulders, and so on. Take a little time studying objects before attempting to put them to paper. An experienced artist spends a whole lot of time (at least, in ratio to drawing time) just -looking- at the subject in question...studying the exact shapes, folds in clothing, etc. Learn to look at "negative" shapes...in other words, the spaces in between actual objects. Heh...I should do some drawings to explain what I mean...^^;; If you haven't, maybe you should post some of your art and we can give you criticism to help you improve. (I didn't actually look to see if you had...>.>;;; )

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Esoteric » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:16 pm

Gosh.. that's a tough question. I think Inkhana and Shooraijin are right though. An artist's greatest tool is their 'eye'. The hand can only draw what the eyes see, and only as well as the eyes learn to see it. I mean, there are many other technics and considerations of style in art, but it boils down to correctly observing something and being able to reproduce it at will. There is no remedy but practice, both with the eye and hand.

For example, if a non artistic person is asked to draw a face, they'll draw a round head and add crude representations of the eyes, nose and mouth. In other words, they build a face using the socially recognized icons. It doesn't at all look like a real person but people will know what they meant by it. But an artist who has studied faces, understands that faces are not made of icons, but of complex shapes which inhabit three dimensions. They've learned to observe the actual geometric shapes which constitute the subtlies of a real human face, combine that with ambient light and create a beautiful portait which hangs in a museum.
Now take for example a bunch of people playing Pictionary.... wait a sec. I just realized I'm rambling senslessly. ^^;; I'll stop now.
Esoteric

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:18 am

It's really a developed sense. As Ink said... draw it a bunch of time and you'll eventually figure it out. As of last check I do art related work 8 hours a day, so that may have a bearing on my improving drawing skills.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:35 pm

I've been drawing since I was born so for me (and my parents agree) it's a born talent. However, I stink at drawing scenary. I cannot draw buildings worth crap unless I have a ruler and a picture to look at. Heck, my cars loks like hot dogs on wheels.

But I have been practicing and working on my scenary and after a while, I have noticed a slight improvement. That's what you need to do. Work at it with all ya got and practice, practice, practice. Some people are born witht he ability to crunch numbers faster than the speed of light, for me, to finish a single diivsion problem, the sun would of risen 8 times already before I got it :lol: Just work at it and sometimes, th eoutcome isnt what you wanted but nevertheless, dont give up ^_^
Hitokiri

Postby Mave » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:22 pm

I'll just echo off what Inky said: In my case, it comes from memory as well. I spent my early years of drawing, copying something and practicing on it often enough until it comes naturally in my imagination. I know I tend to struggle and require references for things I rarely draw (ex. sceneries, buildings, mecha).

But I'm pretty sure I subconsciously take basic shapes into account while drawing because there are rare moments I manage to pull off drawing something I've never/rarely drawn especially animals.

At this point, I would recommend you to keep practising by copying something. That's really how I started off.
Mave

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:40 pm

I started by copying anime images. not TRACING, just drawing it exactly the way it was. then I started drawing my own stuff, and have kept improving from there, using references and mapping out poses and stuff with basic shapes.

it's not something that comes easy for everybody. you just gotta keep at it...even the naturally talented people have to hone their skills.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:04 pm

I'd also take a look at your favorite anime/manga artists and base off from them. Practice by drawing thier characters then meld thier style in with yours (for example I get inspirtation from Nobuhiro Watsuki, Yasuhiro Nightow, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, and Ken Akamatsu).
Hitokiri

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:24 pm

So here's, in a nutshell, what I'm getting. You draw and draw and draw and one day, you can draw?

Rai who is feeling overwhelmed.
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby inkhana » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:53 pm

That's a good summary...XD If I showed you work that I did ten years ago, you'd probably feel a lot better about the whole thing...;)

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:39 pm

::sighs:: This isn't sounding very promising. I get discouraged if I don't see results.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby inkhana » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:52 pm

Yeah...I definitely understand what you're saying. The main thing is persistence. There may be a grain of talent involved, but for the most part, it's all just diligence. Beyond that, if you're not having at least a little fun, there's not much point in continuing unless you have a phenomenal amount of discipline. And if you -are- having fun, it won't take any time for you to start getting better. :)

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Mave » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:59 am

May I ask why you want to learn how to draw, Raiden? It may sound silly but I think motivation is important in doing anything, including drawing.

My drawings as a kid are very simple and amusing by most standards. It's too bad I can't show it to you since it's located halfway around the world. But point is I draw because it gives me a chance to expressing my thoughts/dreams and I have the freedom to create my own little world where I freely practiced my creativity. I improved as time passed but I was never graded on it (no pressure). I never really tracked to see my progress although I do keep all my old drawings. I'm worried that you seem stressed out by something that I can only perceive as fun.

But all in all, seriously, Raiden, pls post your drawings. I think it will help us to help you better.
Mave

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:59 pm

I'd have to say my reasons for wanting to draw are essentially the same as yours, Mave. I usually have loads of ideas bouncing around my head, and without the ability to draw, they disappear without being expressed.

My main problem is I tend to be impatient with myself and a perfectionist by nature.

But if you want, I can post some of my old stuff...it's not like I've gotten better or anything.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:09 pm

well, i have to concurr with my colleagues on the practice aspect of it, no talent (or lack of talent) gets developed and sharpened unless it is used, which means practice, now the way in which you practice is completely your decision, personally, i think that if you are more comfortable starting off this way, try tracing, it will at the very least train your hands to make certain strokes with whatever utensil you're using, and also pay attention to the subject you are copying (that is if you are copying in any way) that way your brain will be able to associate the feel for that particular stroke with the way that that stroke is supposed to look, aside from that, get lots of excersize and eat your vegetables and you'll probably be fine, later
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Return to Art Corner