unofficial coloring contest

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby olorc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:34 am

ooo... funny you should say anit-aliasing. I've been woundering what that is/does. Maybe you could enlighten me. XD
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:08 am

olorc wrote:ooo... funny you should say anit-aliasing. I've been woundering what that is/does. Maybe you could enlighten me. XD

This is turning into a tutorial thread!! :lol: Ah, but everyone who works with graphics should learn this, so hear ya go.

Type fonts consist of vector shapes...in other words, the computer uses mathematics to remember and draw the shape of each letter. This way, the letters can be recreated at any size without loss of pixel data. But this mathematic solution often resulted in jagged-edged letters, known as 'aliasing'. To counter this ugly aliasing and make text easier to read, 'anti-aliasing' was introduced. 'Anti-alias' adds a calculated gradient shift to certain edges of the letter, creating a blur effect which smooths the jagged edges. It's easiest to understand when shown a picture (below). You'll find very little text these days which isn't anti-aliased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby olorc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:47 am

Thanks a bundle man!! It really helps to know what stuff means. XD
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Scribs » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:01 pm

Ha Ha, Photoshop? Gimp? Give me good old Microsoft Paint.

I did take some liberty with sticking to the origonal lines, but I think its an improvement.

Thanks for putting this contest on Olork, Lots of fun it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:13 pm

something about piloswine's entry that reminds me of chrono trigger

*no offense intended*
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Uriah » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:11 pm

That's because it's some sort of orc creature..
Uriah

Postby soul alive » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:36 pm

wah.. finally took the time to get my entry scanned and computer edited on paint :shady: i miss my wannabe photo-editing software...

anyway... here is my final, actual entry. and am i the only one who did not do computer coloring? o_O
soul alive

Postby olorc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:02 pm

well piloswine...it seems that once again you have exceeded what was expected and ...how shall i put this... forced us to "broaden our horizens", shall we say, in terms of what "art" truly is. Entry accepted.
soul alive...good to see you kept with it...entry recieved and accepted. The banner is finished (was a while ago just forgot to mention it) but i will with hold from posting it on this thread. It will be PMed or e-mailed to the winner. Keep it up, only 5 days left. (or is it 4, do you count the current day when figuring that type of thing? o whatever. XD)
olorc

Postby CobaltAngel » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:31 pm

Dude! Rawk on Piloswine!!! *highfives*
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:21 pm

soul alive wrote:wah.. finally took the time to get my entry scanned and computer edited on paint :shady: i miss my wannabe photo-editing software...

anyway... here is my final, actual entry. and am i the only one who did not do computer coloring? o_O

actually, i tried to do it the old fashioned way as well, but i just liked the way my computer-ized version turned out, that plus my scanner's on strike right now
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby soul alive » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:10 am

lol, glad i wasn't the only one who attempted... i had to go invade the computer lab on campus to find a useable scanner... ^^ i suppose if i were at home with my computer there, i might have tried coloring it on that as well, but doing it by hand was good for me, while at college.
soul alive

Postby Angelchick » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:38 pm

this was fun to color but i stared at the computer too hard oh well lol.
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby olorc » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Thank you Angelchick. Almost didn't make the dead line... but easily in the clear. Entry accepted. Stay tuned folks for the dramatic conclusion of the January Coloring contest!!
olorc

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:04 pm

now this is cutting it close... heres hoping olorc isnt on the east coast

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby olorc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:15 pm

nice job sqeeking it in there Mech.
Although I am in E.S.T., judging by the text of your post it seems as though you are not and so got it in on time where you are. Also, I'm not so rigid as all that and would've accepted it anyway. Entry accepted.

A few minutes pass while all the entries are reviewed once more the final decision of who is the best colorer (is that a word?) of January.

The audience is on the edge of their seats. A quite, nervous sort of chatter is filling the air.

Suddenly Olorc comes in and an immediate hush falls over the crowd. *hush*

Olorc: And the winner is.... Esoteric!!!

Your banner is attached. Now don't no body go stealin' Eso's banner. It's hers, she earned it.

Great job everyone. Sorry Piloswine I know how hopeful you were. Honorable mention to Uriah for using tones and making it look really good. Also, Cobalt Angel gets an honorable mention for doing an above average job too.

Disappointed? Think you could've won? Well, here's your second (or first if your new to this XD) chance. Go the art corner to get the image for the Feb. coloring contest!!! Esoteric is the reigning champ, but who knows what will happen next month. We'll see if she can defend her title.

Until next thread...Over and Out.
olorc

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:53 pm

Where is this competition piece for february?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby olorc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:11 pm

olorc

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:53 pm

awww, man! and it's crash bandicoot too!!! oh well, maybe next time
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Esoteric » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:32 pm

I won?? I won! Woohoo! I never win contests!! Yeah!!!! Thank you, thank you everyone! <bows several times to the audience> All right, now to get the banner in my signature. Um, do I need my own webspace to do that?? Help anyone?

Anyway, i'll definitely be in for the Feb. contest!
Esoteric

Postby olorc » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:17 pm

sw33t good to hear. Yea, i don't have webspace...sorry. Hope that goes well for you. You earned it...I'm looking forward to next time.
olorc

Previous

Return to Art Corner