unofficial coloring contest

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

unofficial coloring contest

Postby olorc » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:04 pm

There will be an image attached. The deadline is January 31. Use whatever programs...markers...inks...means you have available to you to colorize the image as best you can. Take any liberties with the art as long as it still has the same lines when you're done. Winner gets a banner. Please post your final images in this thread. If you are planning on entering, have feedback, or have questions please post here so that I can get a feel as to if this is going to fly or not. Thanks. Have fun with this. :jump: :P :thumb: ;)

If this violates any rules or anything...sorry don't mean to stir up trouble. This just sounded like a fun thing to start. Maybe a mod could give their official blessing to this thread (or close it down) just to ease my mind. :eh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:05 pm

i'm up for it, i like coloring the artwork of others
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby soul alive » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:31 pm

sounds like a fun idea, i shall more than likely be participating... *scratches head and ponders thoughts* if nothing else, it should be fun to see what people come up with. ^^
and, just for my own 411, what would the banner be?
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:59 pm

Nice pic. If I have time before the 31st, I'll give it a try. I wouldn't have much use for a banner though...I don't have web space... :sweat:
Esoteric

Postby Angelchick » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:36 pm

cool. i think i'll do it. is it ok if i print the picture and ink it again? so it won't mess up my markers cause my pens that i use for inking are waterproof and can i color more then one?
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby Danyasaur » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:55 pm

I'll give a shot ^_^
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby soul alive » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:45 pm

woohoo, had time to today, and colored it. used watercolors, this is just a photo of it though, not a cleaned scan, but hey, i had fun. ^^. i will have to get it scanned sometime this weekend, and post the scan. can't wait to see what you others do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soul alive

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Ooo, that's a very cool drawing. I'm not much for coloring but I think I might give it a shot if I manage to get the time.
the_lizardqueen

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:25 pm

I was supposed to be hiking today...but a cancellation resulted in this; my version of the image. I love Photoshop. :rock:
Esoteric

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:37 pm

I'd like to give this a shot if I have time :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Uriah » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Can I use tones instead of colors? (It would be black and white with patterns and textures.) I'm not really big on colors..
Uriah

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:25 am

[quote="Esoteric"]I was supposed to be hiking today...but a cancellation resulted in this]

Oh yeah. Photoshop is teh roxxors; teh l33t, teh... (insert weblanguage here). :grin:
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby olorc » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:52 pm

Nice job to soul alive and esoteric on their entries.
Some people were woundering about the banner that is the prize - I was away this weekend and couldn't finish it. It will be done, but it's just not ready yet.
To questions regarding tones and how coloring is allowed to be done... you may use whatever you want to and take any liberties as long as the basic lines of the pic are the same when you're done. That means you can add a background and use tones (aka it's ok it it's black and white just make it look cool) or just print it out like soul alive did and color it by hand or ink. Also you can add a cool lens flare where the spark/energy thing is between her hand if you want. Really, whatever. I would prefer that other characters weren't added to the pic, but backgrounds are ok if you think that it'll look cooler that way.
Also feel free to give your self credit for coloring by adding a line under mine and mave's credit lines.
XD keep it up.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Uriah » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:56 pm

Here's my entry
Uriah

Postby Esoteric » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:42 pm

[quote="CreatureArt"]Oh yeah. Photoshop is teh roxxors]

Hehe. Yeah, I notice you're quite good with Photoshop too. Love your artwork, CreatureArt.
Esoteric

Postby olorc » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:06 pm

thanks uriah, looks good.
Keep coloring people. (not like coloring people...but more like "keep coloring stuff all you peoples XD")
olorc

Postby Uriah » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:26 am

*Gets a can of spray paint and sprays random people while driving down the road.*
Uriah

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:36 pm

Oooh... you didnt tell me I was in a contest. *poke poke* lol dont count mine. Heh heh, its not all that great.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby olorc » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:16 pm

haha...well I didn't decide it would be a contest until after we talked on IM. Hope you're not mad *hug*. You should still post yours if it's done. The other I sent you isn't part of the contest. ;)
olorc

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:49 pm

I did, its in the gallery because I didn't know about this thread. LOL, sorry. ^^;;
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby olorc » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:20 pm

XD it's ok
i'll go check it out.
olorc

Postby Hephzibah » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:31 pm

Well, my one is nowhere near the others, but I thought I might as well sumbit it ;) This is the first colouring thing I have ever done on the comp and I used photoshop.
Hephzibah

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:40 am

Hey, another Photoshoper! First coloring job huh? Well, it's way better than my first coloring job. Yours is nice and clean!
Esoteric

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:28 pm

I put all the layers onto 'multiply', which allowed the lines to remain clear ;) Before that, it was very very messy :P
Hephzibah

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:52 pm

ok folks, here's my entry, enjoy, i used paintshop pro to color it
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:31 am

Talame wrote:I put all the layers onto 'multiply', which allowed the lines to remain clear Before that, it was very very messy

Yes, that works very well. I use the multiply/overlay technique frequently.

The only alternative to that technique is to somehow remove the 'white' areas from the line drawing so that it can be the top layer and then paint layers underneath it. I used to struggle with this, because with a scanned drawing, there's so much crud/antialiasing that goofs up the lines. Then, I found a good trick in a book...
In Photoshop, if you use the Unsharp Mask filter on the line drawing, you can get crisp lines. For settings, I generally use Amount 500, Spread(?) 15, and Threshold between 2-55. After this, I select and delete the white areas using the Select Color Range tool. If there are any 'grey spots' still existing after this, I lock the transparency of the layer and fill it with black. (or you could change it to any color).

Hope this tip helps in future projects.
Esoteric

Postby Scribs » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:05 pm

Sweet stuff,
I am unordinarily busy right now, but I hope to get my renditon in eventually.
Some of that stuff is simply amazing!
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby olorc » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:39 pm

Entry accepted Yeshua-Knight - and nice job I might add.
Actually that photoshop tip, Esoteric, was very helpful to me as well. Although I am "photoshop-less" I do have the GIMP (Linux free version of Photoshop) and it has almost exactly the same stuff. What exactly is "unsharp mask" may i ask? You may have already answered this question, but maybe you could say it again in a different way.
olorc

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:04 am

thanks, i look forward to finding out who the victor will be
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 pm

olorc wrote:What exactly is "unsharp mask" may i ask? You may have already answered this question, but maybe you could say it again in a different way.

The Unsharp Mask? Hmm. Put simply, it's a sophisticated filter that adjusts the contrast of an image. It was originally developed as a tool for reducing/hiding bluriness in photos. It works similarly to adjusting contrast, but it uses an algorithm, and adjusts pixel color/contrast based on a couple of factors. Because the Unsharp Mask was designed to fix burry images, it's great for removing/reducing anti-aliasing on lines drawings.
Esoteric

Next

Return to Art Corner